Montipora bleaching and other hard coral issues...(Picture heavy/detailed)

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc 439
Alk 9.28
Mag 1326
Phosphate 0.006 (Very low I turned off my GFO reactor and it will remain off for a very long time)
Nitrate 13.6

B-Ionic 2-Part Calc/Alk

For the life of me, I cannot keep Montipora and other random hard corals healthy. Ever since I started this tank I cannot grow them or color them up. I'm not sure what the issue is.

I recently started dosing Calcium, for a long time I only dosed Alk because I hardly saw any calcium being used up. I thought a bi-weekly WC would be enough to replenish the calcium. I did fiddle with my light schedule a bit but now I have settled on 1 setting and its been like that for about 2 months now.

I don't know what else to do. I ordered an ICP test to see if its something in the water.

As you can see in the pictures even the red digi has those black spots around it as well and the red monti some of the purple ones also have it. You can see that the plate coral is also showing skeleton and the green chalice also is losing tissue

Its extremely discouraging that this keeps happening...

Could it be my lights?
Could it be lack of PAR or too much par?

I dont believe its lack of par...

If anyone has any insight please help.

IMG_6038.jpg IMG_6039.jpg IMG_6040.jpg IMG_6041.jpg IMG_6042.jpg IMG_6043.jpg IMG_6044.jpg IMG_6045.jpg IMG_6046.jpg IMG_6047.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phosphates. Raise it to above .03 mg/l. Based on the research I've read it seems anywhere between .03 and .5 mg/l will work. Best way is to raise it is feed your fish more.

Here's the research done by SOuthampton University in England with corals in an aquarium shwoing to avoid phosphate deficiency in corals that makes them sensitive to light and changes in temperature as well as a couple other papers on phosphorus and corals:

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts
DIP DOP POP.jpg

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low phosphates. Raise it to above .03 mg/l. Based on the research I've read it seems anywhere between .03 and .5 mg/l will work. Best way is to raise it is feed your fish more.

Here's the research done by SOuthampton University in England with corals in an aquarium shwoing to avoid phosphate deficiency in corals that makes them sensitive to light and changes in temperature as well as a couple other papers on phosphorus and corals:

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts
DIP DOP POP.jpg

Interesting…. I noticed my corals are extremely sensitive to light. Anything else I could do other then dose reef roids? I also have chaeto

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting…. I noticed my corals are extremely sensitive to light. Anything else I could do other then dose reef roids? I also have chaeto
The cheato is working against you by absorbing more nutrients .

I mentioned reef roids as it’s guaranteed to increase phosphates one way or another . And corals love it

I don’t know if sps benefit from it as much as lps or Softies would buy the increase phosphates needed

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheato is working against you by absorbing more nutrients .

I mentioned reef roids as it’s guaranteed to increase phosphates one way or another . And corals love it

I don’t know if sps benefit from it as much as lps or Softies would buy the increase phosphates needed
Ok, should I remove the chaeto then as well?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, should I remove the chaeto then as well?
I wouldn’t .
As
Mentioned above . You need to find a way to increase phosphates .
essentially . Your corals are starving but as you noticed . Some require more nutrients than others .
some are showing while Others are not effected yet

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, ensure you dose equal portions alk and calcium. It is normal to see a much smaller reduction in calcium compared to alkalinity as it depletes way slower. I would agree the corals are probably starving and need phosphates.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t .
As
Mentioned above . You need to find a way to increase phosphates .
essentially . Your corals are starving but as you noticed . Some require more nutrients than others .
some are showing while Others are not effected yet
I’ll trim it down then lol.
Maybe it is the low phosphate that causing all these issues.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, ensure you dose equal portions alk and calcium. It is normal to see a much smaller reduction in calcium compared to alkalinity as it depletes way slower. I would agree the corals are probably starving and need phosphates.
Noted, I just dosed a nice amount of reef roids and I will again when the lights turn off.

Time to get this tank dirty

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9CFB488E-332E-44F9-9983-106F0451EAFC.jpeg
3 radions xr15 pro g5
So 60% max? For sure, bleaching is NOT caused by low light. If anything, browning out is more a symptom of low par because the sps expressing more zoos to get more light.

Don’t go crazy with the reef roofs and test every two days to make sure that you’re not increasing it too fast. Aim for 0.01 to no more than 0.02 every 2 days.

also make sure you can see the polyps moving. That tells me that your flow is decent (at least).

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 60% max? For sure, bleaching is NOT caused by low light. If anything, browning out is more a symptom of low par because the sps expressing more zoos to get more light.

Don’t go crazy with the reef roofs and test every two days to make sure that you’re not increasing it too fast. Aim for 0.01 to no more than 0.02 every 2 days.

also make sure you can see the polyps moving. That tells me that your flow is decent (at least).
Flow in the tank is great I got 3 Nero 5s

and for bleaching and low par. What could be the cause for my red digi to literally looks so ugly? And my montis bleaching? Everyone tells me that light can cause bleaching.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would just be feeding my fish more and keeping an eye on PO4. Corals prefer the amnio acids and urea and ammonia from fish and fish poop also provide valuable carbonates. Feeding coral specific foods like reef roids is probalematic as individual coral species have very specific requrements and what is beneficial for one species is detrimental for another species.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back