montipora capricornis coral bleaching out

ReeferGoalie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for nudis. They can be tiny and come out at night. Is it random splotches or from the edges?

OP
OP
evanjah

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the grape one is doing great, its splotches. Is it possible to have glued it upside down?

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks healthy otherwise and you definitely did not glue it upside down. The marks are also different from how a predator would chew on it. You do not ever want to deal with nudis. How is the flow around it? On caps crud can settle and kill a localized area. On my big orange cap I'll blow of settled detritus to keep that from happening. It won't kill it, just kill a little tissue in that particular spot.

Also, on Photobucket, if you copy and past the IMG code, the image will appear right in the thread :)

coral014.jpg

OP
OP
evanjah

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow is prettty strong in my tank. and i have been doing the same thing of blowing detritus off it regularly

OP
OP
evanjah

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be that my clown was picking at it? I saw him hanging around it so i bannished him to the sump? I did all my chemical tests and it checks out great. so i figured something was picking on it. i watched my tank like a hawk. I saw him hanging around.and when i originally got it he was knocking it down and sitting on it basically

Last edited:

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow is prettty strong in my tank. and i have been doing the same thing of blowing detritus off it regularly

Just a thought, but if you need to blow detritus off regularly then the amount of time that the detritus is settling there can be causing some localized hypoxia and tissue death. Is a lot of detritus building up regularly on the spots right where the tissue loss is occurring?? You might try moving a powerhead to put more flow at it and see if it helps.

RTN happens pretty quickly. Usually strips the tissue off within 24-48 hours. There are many reasons for RTN and even though it kills corals quite fast, if you can find a direct cause and correct it, you may still be able to save the coral. Most often if there is RTN occuring your best bet is to frag a piece off far away from any tissue loss. That is sometimes the only way to save any part of it.

Good luck.

Jeremy

OP
OP
evanjah

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it getting a lot worse from yesterday to today and i did lugols dip too

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it getting a lot worse from yesterday to today and i did lugols dip too

I'd highly suggest fragging off a peice far away from any tissue loss as this illness may be something that you simply can't stop. It jsut happens sometimes and we often aren't able to get a full understanding why. There's also no guarantee that the frag will live, but it's likely your best bet at saving something.

Jeremy

OP
OP
evanjah

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to have leveled off so i doubt rtn. But i have it under a net cuz i bet a fish is the culprit. Can it recover from that on its own?

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no prob as long as the attack stops. My diadema urchin mowed over several varieties of montis all the way to white skeleton. All recovered fine with the exception of a small frag. That stuff comes back pretty good from localized damage.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you keep that you'd be concerned they are picking at the cap??

Jeremy

OP
OP
evanjah

evanjah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe it was my black clown or my orange shoulder tang. the clown i put in the sump and i saw the tang pick at it also. So i have it covered with a net now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back