Montipora Dying After Just Starting to Dose

Dubsicles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time doser here. I just started to dose the Red Sea Foundation A, B and C (Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium). I gradually worked my way up to the following levels over the course of 4 days:

Alk (dkh): Start 6.2/ End 8.3
Calc (ppm): Start 397/ End 437
Mg (ppm): Start 1360/ End 1440

I've noticed after 2 days my encrusting monitipora (which I've had for 3+ years) is starting to look bad and not doing so hot :(. It's color is originally red, but it is starting to fade out.

I am thinking I changed parameters so quickly. Any advice what I should do next? My thinking is try to maintain these parameter levels for the next 2-3 weeks (not increasing them any further). My target levels are Alk 8, Calc 450, and Mg 1440. Thoughts?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates? I know that those supplements can increase PO4 pretty quickly.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My encrusting monti’s have paled to almost white when changing all levels. BUT once stable for a period of time they colored back up but took awhile. I think it was the change and just give them time at stable levels

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My encrusting monti’s have paled to almost white when changing all levels. BUT once stable for a period of time they colored back up but took awhile. I think it was the change and just give them time at stable levels
ive experienced the same

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is usually due to increasing alkalinity with too low nutrients, notably phosphate.

There is a definite balance between alkalinity and phosphate level. Low phosphate (<0.05) requires either very high nutrient throughput (large volume feeding/skimming) or lower alkalinity (6.0-7.5 range). The higher the phosphate level, the more tolerant corals are to alkalinity swings/elevation, although coloration may change. The old adage of high phosphate/weak skeleton/slow growth is very debatable, with some scientific literature showing increased growth in higher phosphate. For whatever reason, a phosphate concentration of 0.05 seems to be the inflection point between "not enough" and "just right". No one has clearly shown where the "just right" to "too much" inflection point is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back