Montipora eating nudibranch: Friend or Foe?

Jhav89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy theory: Purposely introduce montipora eating nudibranch for 'pest montipora' eradication.

I mean we use berghia for aptasia removal.
So why not use montipora eating nudis for getting rid of that red monti cap, you now regret placing at the top of the aquascape?

Encrusting montipora are all fine and dandy at first. But if you make the mistake of allowing it to get onto your rock work, it won't be long until prime real-estate is completely invaded.

I've read of, observed, and have even taken part in some rather obscure methods of removing the 'pest montipora' from the system. Why not let mother nature do her thing? There are only so many times I can scrape, smother, and destroy encrusting montipora until enough is enough!!

Obviously any prized montipora would be moved to a separate system. Be it a frag tank or to a reefing friend. Hopefully the stuff worth saving isn't too large and are movable .

Thoughts??

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can break apart a Monti Cap to the point where it will not grow back. Having an infestation of Montipora Eating Nudis seems like a really poor way of dealing with that issue. I wouldn't introduce AEFW just to take out one Acro. Or Zoanthid eating Nudis to remove one colony. Better to just put a little elbow grease into removing the monti.

OP
OP
Jhav89

Jhav89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can break apart a Monti Cap to the point where it will not grow back. Having an infestation of Montipora Eating Nudis seems like a really poor way of dealing with that issue. I wouldn't introduce AEFW just to take out one Acro. Or Zoanthid eating Nudis to remove one colony. Better to just put a little elbow grease into removing the monti.
Just thinking outside of the box here..
My thought process is for the reefer looking to shift over to an acro only or an acro dominated tank, with little to no desire to keep montipora in the future. This would not be a good solution for removing just one troublesome monti. I want complete removal. I would assume the nudis would die off after their food source is gone. So after a fallow period once all montipora is confirmed to be removed, perhaps reintroduce the desirable montipora.

I personally have some mystic sunset and red digi that have become rather invasive. If one little chip/polyp is missed while removing either one, there will be spots of it growing in random places, within a few weeks. You couldn't pay me to keep montipora in that system again!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,break it out ,share w fellow reefers,kalk burn remains ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back