Montipora eating nudis and bristle worms

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests I have bristleworms, that killed my clam, and nudis eating my monti's.
I have a pair of clowns, a fire and cleaner shrimp.
What do people recommend?
I have read that coral banded shrimp are good for bristleworms, but not sure how they would get on with my other 2 shrimp. Also wrasses seem to be shrimp eaters, and I don't want an agressive fish in the tank either. I have no experience of these options, so if you have or can recommend an alternative based on first hand experience then please comment.

And forgot to say its a 90 gallon tank.

Thanks a lot.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the infected monti flip it over and check for MEN . They are tiny, the eggs are impossible to find. Scrub them off with a toothbrush. Then coat the entire underneath of the monti with super glue to smother the eggs . Put him back and check at night with a flashlight. A yellow wrasse is a good bet , a 6line if you have more aggressive fish .
The brissle worms do nothing.they can be s a good cuc for free . The yellow coris wrasse will help against the worms as well.
btw check the worms closely for red tuffs at the bristles. Red =fire worm . You got work to do .

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the infected monti flip it over and check for MEN . They are tiny, the eggs are impossible to find. Scrub them off with a toothbrush. Then coat the entire underneath of the monti with super glue to smother the eggs . Put him back and check at night with a flashlight. A yellow wrasse is a good bet , a 6line if you have more aggressive fish .
The brissle worms do nothing.they can be s a good cuc for free . The yellow coris wrasse will help against the worms as well.
btw check the worms closely for red tuffs at the bristles. Red =fire worm . You got work to do .
Sounds like good advice, what you think about the yellow wrasse and my shrimp? I ordered some coral rx dip too, but will scrub with tootbrush. I seen somebody saying to get the dental magnification glasses to see eggs etc.

I don't think they are fire worms, but they killed my clam.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like good advice, what you think about the yellow wrasse and my shrimp? I ordered some coral rx dip too, but will scrub with tootbrush. I seen somebody saying to get the dental magnification glasses to see eggs etc.

I don't think they are fire worms, but they killed my clam.

Yellow coris wrasse is not really comparable to other wrasses concerning its behaviour. I have a shrimp and yellow wrasse and they get along just fine.

They do eat clams!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did not kill your clam.

You clam was dying and they were eating the dead flesh.

As far as the Nudi's go, take the monti out and use a magnifying glass pick any off you see along with any eggs. Just keep an eye on it and keep picking them off when you see them.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did not kill your clam.

You clam was dying and they were eating the dead flesh.

I don't know to be honest, but everything else is looking good in the tank, so don't know why the clam would die.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Euphyllia97, post: 7271100, member:

They do eat clams!
[/QUOTE]

That concerns me, if they eat clams then what else would they eat coral wise.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to get the bristle worms out, get a feeding clip that is magnetically coupled. Put a piece of shrimp in the clip and place it close to the bottom. The worms will come to feed on it and when they do, slowly slide the clip to the top and net them out.
As for the MEN, Prevention. Prevention. Prevention.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to get the bristle worms out, get a feeding clip that is magnetically coupled. Put a piece of shrimp in the clip and place it close to the bottom. The worms will come to feed on it and when they do, slowly slide the clip to the top and net them out.
As for the MEN, Prevention. Prevention. Prevention.
Worth a go, cheers

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristled worms really put people off . They are harmless if under several inches .
don’t forget super glue for the montipora.
yellow wrasse are reef safe beautiful and help . The 6 line wrasse will patrol the aquarium for pests but they have a well earned rep for bullying.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know to be honest, but everything else is looking good in the tank, so don't know why the clam would die.

Your clam might have died from starvation. They need a lot of light! Not because your acros are doing fine, the light is sufficient for a clam. They look good and then suddenly start to gape.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back