Montipora Green/White Spot?

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Montipora (no idea name or type) that I received for free a month back. It was tiny, and it started to grow nicely but I have noticed a weird green/white spot in the back (circled in red) along with a new one at the tip. Details on the tank below, but curious what may be the cause here. Another monti (encrusting, fruity pebbles) is growing beautifully, so I am at a loss to what is going on. My other SPS (acros and other types) are doing just fine.

Details:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~10 (last checked a few days ago, awaiting more reagents)
Phosphate: ~0.08 (last checked a few days ago, awaiting more reagents)
Calcium: 418
Alkalinity: 8.15
Magnesium: 1339
PH: 7.8-8.1 (fluctuates during the day)

Frag time?

Pictures underneath 100% white light only using Radeon X15 G6.

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Montipora (no idea name or type) that I received for free a month back. It was tiny, and it started to grow nicely but I have noticed a weird green/white spot in the back (circled in red) along with a new one at the tip. Details on the tank below, but curious what may be the cause here. Another monti (encrusting, fruity pebbles) is growing beautifully, so I am at a loss to what is going on. My other SPS (acros and other types) are doing just fine.

Details:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~10 (last checked a few days ago, awaiting more reagents)
Phosphate: ~0.08 (last checked a few days ago, awaiting more reagents)
Calcium: 418
Alkalinity: 8.15
Magnesium: 1339
PH: 7.8-8.1 (fluctuates during the day)

Frag time?

Pictures underneath 100% white light only using Radeon X15 G6.

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG
Looks like it's being eaten.
Did you dip it before adding to the tank? Did you give it a once over? What is par in that spot?

Cool pic, looks like smoke coming off a green mountain top. LOL

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip it before adding to the tank? Did you give it a once over? What is par in that spot?

It was dipped, but I am unsure what would be nipping at it. I do have bumble bee snails, and a pair of clown.

I am going to dip it in Koral MD again and see if that fixes it up. Under blue light it looks brown/dying but with the lights on its a different story.

Par is ~250-350 in that area. Most of my SPS are that high up.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I found something, which looks like those nasty tube snails (I forgot the name, starts with a V).

I went ahead and dipped it in Koral MD for 5, and then fresh for 2. It’s mounted back up.

7D1B7222-C4D0-45FE-BB4B-996F71AAA3A6.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I found something, which looks like those nasty tube snails (I forgot the name, starts with a V).

I went ahead and dipped it in Koral MD for 5, and then fresh for 2. It’s mounted back up.

7D1B7222-C4D0-45FE-BB4B-996F71AAA3A6.jpeg
Vermetid snail? I was under the impression they are pretty harmless aside from the unsightly mucous? I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snail? I was under the impression they are pretty harmless aside from the unsightly mucous? I could be wrong though.
Nooooo idea, I can’t think of anything else in the tank that would eat these bad boys, and honestly everything else is thriving.

*shrugs* wait and see I guess.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back