Montipora Hirsuta One Branch Dying - How Can I save it?

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I got this coral in early December from WWC and right off the bat had some burnt tips and grew a bit of algae on the branch that is now dying within hours of putting it in the tank. I wasn’t too enthused with that but as it got acclimated, it was able to begin growing and knock back the algae at one of its tips after about a week. The coral was colored up nice and growing so I was happy.

Couple weeks later and I notice Ulva growing all over the frag plug around the base of the coral. Ulva began to grow on a few of the frags I received from them, not sure why this started, but I decided to use a bit of peroxide on the plug to kill it all as it kept coming back. Unfortunately, I must’ve hit the tissue a little bit with peroxide and one branch of the monti has been losing color and growing a bit of algae very slowly over the last month. There is a good chunk of the coral that still appears healthy and I want to stop the damage from spreading. Is this guy a goner or is there a way I can still save the good part or maybe even bring the dead branch back to life? I’ve been target feeding it with AB+ and occasionally with Brightwell Restor.

The damaged part is most obvious from above.

80BB5522-F62C-4A33-9730-1D44F8CD304F.jpeg B8341473-7D0F-4D7C-AD09-1DF24CA6C688.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back