Montipora losing color, but not dying

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

well i am having a small issue with my montipora some of them (forest fire and bubblegum) are losing colours. Last week i did a lab test and nothing looked very much out of the odds, but now my montipora are losing colour. Especially the red ones, but all plates red, purple, green and digitata green also hirsuta are doing great. These other ones hide their polyps, and turn pink some lose their base color and turn pale (but not like complete white)

attached i added the pictures i hope you can see the issue, also i add the lab test.

my first idea was lack of iodine or again high potassium

i had a big crash in june my own fault, using poisoned salt. After that crash my potassium keeps climbing up “fast” so i do regularly water changes. So i did one today. Any other suggestion about how to remove potassium would be great.

many thanks in advance

regards Remy

961E0320-53A4-49E1-BA24-2FD40935B8DF.jpeg 817D687A-8DEB-404B-AF4A-A02FC1EFC8CF.jpeg 3E2939FB-168A-402B-9BB9-FF390D1879E6.jpeg A3D15CF2-2B16-441D-AF1C-4A62FBD22A89.jpeg EE2286E1-2AD0-49D0-AEF8-4D5C467C8D1B.jpeg

Attachments

• Woonkamer - 11.01.2022 (B-obY4ZY) 2.pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 58

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an encrusting monti that faded before due to a phosphate spike. It wasn't that high (.14) but went up quickly and the monti didn't like it. It recovered after a while though.

OP
OP
Schramstein

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also checked for pests, nothing to see... only the red branchin montis sem to have the bigger problem.

OP
OP
Schramstein

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gave them a dip, just to see if they have an pest invisible for the eye but i still think there must be something else i didnt see.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large beach bum monti that's been there for >1 yr. Awesome growth... I have about 16 montis in my tank, all with good growth.
I started dosing Strontium thinking that I needed to replace what was low on the ICP test, and started at 5 ml daily (300g total volume) ... well, in about 2 week,s it started to STN, bleach out, and recede. It was the only one in the tank that showed this reaction...
I stopped dosing and in 3 weeks, it started to regrow, polyps are fully extended, and color is vibrant.

Why do I share this? It could be a supplement that you are dosing that may be causing the issue... This one slipped by and I'm glad I thought through what I started/stopped doing several weeks ago.

OP
OP
Schramstein

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for your advice, i am just dosing triton core7 nothing else, but i think you are correct that something is missing or just to much from something.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is pretty low. I have found my monti and acros go pale when nutrients are too low. Most of my coral look best with po4 around 0.10ppm

OP
OP
Schramstein

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try to feed a bit more, to raise it a littlebit?
Or any other suggestion? I am afraid of turning off the skimmer.

OP
OP
Schramstein

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i have increased from 0.03 phosphate to 0.06 nothing positive happened. still some are losing their color but the bubblegum showed a little more polyps. Most important notice is that when the lights go on , 30 minutes later they have the most polyps showing. So i think it has to be something in the water which is higher in the morning than in the evening. Some nutrition?

I am also dosing a little iodine, tomorrow i will receive a test so i know more about my iodine level. As of you start with zero and you want to climb how many do you dose? I have the easylife iodine which says 10ml for 500L a week. So i start dosing 2 ml a day. Which i think is ok when you allready have some iodine in your tank but i think i need to dose a bit more.

still have no clue about the solution, even when all my other corals died a year ago tje montis survived now it seems they have a big issue. In my opinion it can be only a very small thing as it is the only coral which doesnt do well.

OP
OP
Schramstein

Schramstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes icp and just checked again 1500 calcium 460 so that should be ok. Today got my test for iodine , iodine is 0.06, phosphate also with hanna. With salifert nothing to be seen.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My montis were thriving for 2 years, took over the tank practically. Now, something weird is bleaching them out little by little.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back