Montipora Potentially Bleaching, or recovering?

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I bought this small mystic sunset monti frag from my LFS and managed to drop it a couple times while trying to get it off the frag plug. There were these blotch-y areas straight away once it was mounted. I'm trying to determine what I should do to help this monti recover quickly. It's been in there a couple weeks, and the polyps do come out, even on the discoloured parts. Is the bleaching linked to lighting too, or would it be different colour if it were bleaching from light?
Cheers

1626358362595.png

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bleaching is also linked to lighting. If your light is stronger than the store or wherever you got it from, it can bleach. Without touching the coral flesh, put it down on the sand bed for several weeks without moving it and it should recover is all else is good.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I bought this small mystic sunset monti frag from my LFS and managed to drop it a couple times while trying to get it off the frag plug. There were these blotch-y areas straight away once it was mounted. I'm trying to determine what I should do to help this monti recover quickly. It's been in there a couple weeks, and the polyps do come out, even on the discoloured parts. Is the bleaching linked to lighting too, or would it be different colour if it were bleaching from light?
Cheers

1626358362595.png
Amino acid.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are hinting towards the light in your original post, do you have other monti's? Is your lighting strong enough? They love strong lighting and flow in my experience.

OP
OP
F

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are hinting towards the light in your original post, do you have other monti's? Is your lighting strong enough? They love strong lighting and flow in my experience.
I think it could be but was wondering if anyone could tell the difference between just some damage and actual bleaching.
No other montis no, lighting currently a little lower than it could be but want to confirm what I'm seeing isn't bleaching before I turn them up :)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I look at it more I think your instinct is correct it looks like it’s just physical damage. If you think the lighting is similar to where it came from there we could just leave it as is and it should heal within a few weeks

Back