Montipora suddenly lost color?

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My montipora has recently lost all its color and started to turn light grey. I can still see the polyps but they’re retracted and it seems the algae on the coral is gone. I noticed this a few days ago and did a dip incase it was a pest but it seems like it’s doing worse now. All other corals in the tank are thriving, so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

Parameters are as follows: 0/0/5
Lighting is an AI prime 16

524D24D1-B0E3-4106-8DE3-9364ECE60F1C.jpeg 679295AF-266E-44EC-BD49-9DF09F7E4B98.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, considering it is below some zoas that are stretching for light, I doubt it is getting enough light.

Do you feed the corals?

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, considering it is below some zoas that are stretching for light, I doubt it is getting enough light.

Do you feed the corals?
0/0/5 is my water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate :)
In the photo I actually recently just moved those zoas because I saw it was stretching for light from the side it was originally on, and I had moved the montipora closer to the bottom since I was worried it was too much light. It was initially near the top of the tank around 12 inches below from my AI prime

I do feed the corals reef roids occassionally, but recently in the past two weeks or so I've only been feeding my fish frozen foods/pellets

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Do you have a phosphate test? I saved a bleach coral once. I fed it reef energy daily and dosed phycopure zooxanthellae.

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Do you have a phosphate test? I saved a bleach coral once. I fed it reef energy daily and dosed phycopure zooxanthellae.
My phosphates are currently at 0.04 (13 ppb with hanna checker). I also checked KH and while it's a bit low at 6 dKH, it was at that level before the montipora began to fade. Would you recommend to start dosing first? Or try feeding my corals with reef roids first? It's only a 20 gallon so I'm worried I'll overdose with the phyto

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back