Monti's dying, need reasons why plz.

Reeftankin420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one is turning white on one side n headed towards the center and two others seem to be dying on spots. those two seem to be collecting some sort of matter on the dying areas... These are some of my favorite pieces so id love some help right about now...Thanks

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Monti eating nudis. They're kinda white and stringy and pretty tiny.

gillundr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti eating nudis would be my first guess

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

debdp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your chemistry (alk/ca) I've had monti's start to turn white when alk and calcium were off.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Monti eating nudibranch. Pull one out and check the bottom carefully. I recently got attacked by these and am working them out of my system by dips of all corals of the monti variety. I've gotten them in control where they aren't killing the corals anymore, but every few weeks I'll spot one again with a flashlight at night and I will be sure to dip the next day.

reefmadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it may be M.E.N. to me. As suggested, check the underside if possible for eggs, and the nudis themselves. There are quite a few good detailed pictures of them if you google Montipora Eating Nudibranch. They are pretty small, but can get bigger as they age, and as long as they have a reliable food source, they will do just that.

OP
OP
R

Reeftankin420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is a nudi what actions should i take to get rid of them, its a small frag glued down could they still get under there.... iv been watching it pretty close n iv never seen anything on it....

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its your only monti I would remove it to QT or throw it away and leave your tank monti free for at least 8 weeks. If it is not your only monti, I would remove all of them to QT and start dipping each week for 8-10 weeks and again leave your display monti free for at least 8 weeks. Potassium permanganate works well on them and kills eggs as well. It is the only thing I know of that will kill the eggs, but the stuff is pretty nasty so be very careful with it. Other dips would be Revive, TMPCC, CoralRX....none of these will kill the eggs so you will need to hunt for them and scrape them off or cover them in superglue.

Good luck, i had these buggers a few years ago and ended up throwing away all my montis :(

OP
OP
R

Reeftankin420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i took the monti out yesterday n broke it loose from the frag, n there seemed to be white spots stuck all in the glue so i scraped the spots n glue off with a razor n put it back in ther bare bottom... i still havent had any luck spotting a nudi, but imma keep lookin...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back