More affordable hobby than I realized..?

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been under the impression that starting and keeping a reef tank was inherently an expensive (nearly unmanageably so) hobby. I am now learning from some very helpful and friendly R2R members that my thinking has been way off the mark. When you see the majority of reefer's build threads and the equipment they are running as par for the course, it seems very easy to believe that you can't have a thriving and enjoyable reef tank short of spending $1000s. Pair that with the fact that many companies' YouTube channels dissuade beginners from the more affordable options of nano or pico tanks as inherently more prone to crashes with tempermental water balance/nutrient levels (none of us are interested in buying a few hundred dollars worth of coral just to watch it slowly wither away, right?) and it quickly becomes easy to conclude that this is a hobby intended only for those who do have $1000s in expendible income.

At any rate, my thanks to @Katrina71 @Tamberav and @pshootr for the very helpful information and video links of thriving, but just as important, affordable systems.
With any luck, I might have cause to start my own (expect modest,) build thread.
Thanks again.
SweetCoralline

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to that!

I'd bet that there are many more expensive systems that fail that not. I'm a tech guy and love to tinker so my system is (unfortunately at times) an expensive endeavor, but that is definitely not the only path to success.

Nice job @Katrina71 @Tamberav and @pshootr

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most welcome! I was pretty much in the same boat as you not long ago, until I stumbled across a few reefers who showed me that on a small scale, with some due diligence it can be done even on a budget. Much like you, I am also planning on a modest build thread sometime in the near future. And as I gather the equipment and supplies I will need,I am trying to learn as much as I can ahead of time from the wonderful people in this community.

I'm very happy to see that you are inspired. [emoji6]

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... dissuade beginners from the more affordable options of nano or pico tanks as inherently more prone to crashes with tempermental water balance/nutrient levels...

I never understood this one. My first reef was a JBJ 24g with PC lighting and real live rock. It was one of the cleanest and healthiest tanks I ever had. Nano tanks aren't really that big of a deal to maintain. Large percentage weekly water changes are easy with a 5g bucket, as long as you're diligent with that and don't overstock/overfeed, you can have a nice tank with no skimmers, dosers, etc etc.

Another great way to control costs is if you have an active local club, as members are usually happy to trade frags or sell them cheaply.

OP
OP
S

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right on the Maryland/Pennsylvania line, about 30 minutes north of Baltimore. I'm a member on the local reef club's website, Mason Dixon Reef Club (www.mdreefclub.com) and have posted in the WTT and responded to ads for tanks people have broken down, offering items of value I have, but undertandably, people are either breaking down their system to upgrade to a bigger, better system or just need/prefer the cash for purchasing exactly what it is they want rather than entertaining a trade for what I have on offer.

At any rate, thank you for your encouraging input folks!

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently helped a young reefer with a build on a 29G tank. Originally they were going to go all super hardcore with equipment after trying to follow the equipment that Coral 12G had with a designer AIO and very expensive name brand equipment. I narrowed him down to a mostly live rock build with an aquaclear and a cheapo wavemaker. He got a the live rock from his local reefing facebook group as a donation after I told him how to ask for it. His most expensive equipment is his ATO. He has no lighting at the moment because we are following WWC's method of no light for the first several months. In the meantime, he is hunting on FB and CL for a deal on a light. He would have gotten a Radion if he continued to follow 12G, but is likely going to get an Aquamaxx Prism or Aquaknight given he wants softies and euphillyas.

He has a inkbird to keep his heater from crashing his tank and a battery powered air pump as his backup solution in the event of a power outage.

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is so true! I wouldn't say my tank has the craziest upgrades and equipment, but in my opinion, I'd say it's looking pretty good! my goal is to keep a low maintenance and as self-sustaining system as possible, and I feel adding crazy equipment would take away from that:D just my opinion;)

OP
OP
S

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank were you looking to get?
Well, I did have the perfect space in my living room picked out for that Red Sea Reefer 750XL BRS was giving away... lol.

Seriously though, while I've mainly been messaging people through R2R and Craigslist with 40-90G systems listed near enough for me to pick up, it would really all boil down to what I could afford the maintenance of. Salt for tank water on a smaller system is a lot less of a financial burden than, say, an $80 bucket of salt each month for regular water changes on a huge tank. Also, considerations like what size tank would I be able to afford sufficient light coverage for, cost of RO/DI water for changes and top off if I'm not going to spend (this imaginary, mind you) money on a 5 stage RO/DI unit. Finally, it wouldn't make sense to have a huge tank if the cost of live rock, live sand and livestock to put the tank to its actual task of looking good and flush was prohibitively expensive.

These, as a newb, are all unknowns to me.
Thanks all.

OP
OP
S

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a Biocube to start with? Or another AIO? (All in one)
My interest in the hobby was piqued when I first saw a Biocube advertised. I was dissuaded by the videos that BRS and other retailers put out that say that Nano and Pico reef tanks are more prone to crashes and difficult for beginners because of the more touchy nature of water quality /nutrient balance, contrary to the experiences of most people on this thread. That, and the nature of hardware to tend to fail after a couple years of use, ie, what do you do when the leds on the hood of your Biocube eventually give out. The AIO systems, by virtue, are not very modular/hotswappable.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to that!

I'd bet that there are many more expensive systems that fail that not. I'm a tech guy and love to tinker so my system is (unfortunately at times) an expensive endeavor, but that is definitely not the only path to success.

Nice job @Katrina71 @Tamberav and @pshootr

Amen to that, it sure could be less expensive for me, but I can't help myself...

Good Luck OP! You can find used equipment and start small it doesn't have to be outlandish, and for starting up a tank I would say it's better to start modest anyway.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's true that it takes more attention for a nano, and I don't normally recommend them for a first tank, it can be done.

Just make sure that you make very small adjustments and pay a lot of attention to what is going on.

I am wanting my biocube back in the worst way. :D

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Nanocube. I very quickly got tired of the top/heat and trying to work with the tiny areas in the back my hands would barely fit in.
Do a 20L or a 40B. Great sized tanks to start off or if you just want a smaller tank and you can use the identical though smaller versions of normal skimmers and wave pumps available now.
My first greatly successful tank was a 20L with a 10 for a sump.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Nanocube. I very quickly got tired of the top/heat and trying to work with the tiny areas in the back my hands would barely fit in.
Do a 20L or a 40B. Great sized tanks to start off or if you just want a smaller tank and you can use the identical though smaller versions of normal skimmers and wave pumps available now.
My first greatly successful tank was a 20L with a 10 for a sump.

Generally speaking, it's cheaper for these tanks than AIOs as well.

So, I agree.

But, I still miss my little cube.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back