500 gallon in-wall basement reef

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I started a thread a couple months ago asking for advice for a large aquarium I have on the way.

I figured I’d start over in this thread as the dimensions of the tank have changed.

It is a 504 gallon acrylic aquarium measuring 72 inches x 54 inches x 30 inches. The aquarium is in the garage for the time being while I have my carpenter build the stand. Recently I had poured a self leveling floor in my basement where the aquarium will sit. Unfortunately, even with the self-leveling the floor is still somewhat unlevel due to the overall slope of the basement towards the drain in the laundry room.

My carpenter has said he would like to cut each of the vertical supports custom to accommodate the slope of the floor (slope is about 1/2” per 6 feet towards the front left corner of the fish room). This is different from what I had envisioned. From what I’ve read it’s best to shim the length of the stand every 6 inch or rip a long shim the length of the entire stand.

What are your guys thoughts?

283422EC-358D-42BD-9DE2-CFB240EBF78A.jpeg

Last edited:

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not matter in the end. Think of a floor. Load is placed on the "plywood" the load is then transferred down to many floor joists. Typically spaced every 16". That load is then transferring the load to a beam running perpendicular to the joists. This beam is usually spanning much further.
Point being as long as the load is supported and not exceeding any materials ability to withstand the weight it will not matter if it is point loaded.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever were to move the tank and stand you'd have to build a whole new stand. I'd try and keep the stand square and add in some leveling wedges to make it level. My 0.2 cents.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I will probably just go ahead and let him build how he sees fit.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep slowly but surely. I’ve had water in it for about 2 months. I’m going through an ugly Dino/diatoms stage right now. Stocking is currently:
1 hippo tang
2 convict tangs
1 azure damsel
1 leopard wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny

Back