More macro growing in the display than refugium

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 29 gallon tank for my girl so she could have xenia and all the stuff i do not want well its been doing ok i startef with all dry rock and have corraline growing on the rock alot more than i would have thought started this tank in april i think but anyways diatoms and hair algae have not been that bad i am growing cheoto and i dont even no what this other stuff is in the display i will put some pictures up started with cheoto in the fuge and it grew but stayed very light green pulled some out about a month ago and it just withered away and died put some other macro in there and it seems to be doing ok but where is this other algae coming fromin the display
1532976116340-1257019260.jpg
1532976201096805054844.jpg
1532976263107-1650538359.jpg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that’s grape caulerpa. That stuff spreads like crazy. I know some people use it in their fuge but if it gets out it takes over.

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that’s grape caulerpa. That stuff spreads like crazy. I know some people use it in their fuge but if it gets out it takes over.
The stuff in the second pick thats like a week maybe 2 growth dont understand that zoa came from my tank and it seems like it grew from there

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff in the second pick thats like a week maybe 2 growth dont understand that zoa came from my tank and it seems like it grew from there
Some snails have weird algae growing on them to i wonder if thats where its coming from

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a 10 minute dip kills algae and micro inverts like pods, bristle worms and micro stars. For delicate corals use 5 minute dip. Zoos are strong like bull.

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a 10 minute dip kills algae and micro inverts like pods, bristle worms and micro stars. For delicate corals use 5 minute dip. Zoos are strong like bull.
If i do that do i scrub the rock or just rinse real good thats stuff is all inthe zoas

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has tripled in size been trying to pull it off but thats not working its trying to apread to other rocka thanks in advance

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it off, brush it off. Water jet it off. Even if some zoas are damaged, it will grow back.
Did not do peroxide but did take it out and tooth brush the crap out of it see what that does been pulling cheoto out like crazy everyday stuff starting to grow again in the fuge hopefully i get control of this

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not do peroxide but did take it out and tooth brush the crap out of it see what that does been pulling cheoto out like crazy everyday stuff starting to grow again in the fuge hopefully i get control of this

For regrowth of nuisance problems, peroxide is indiscriminate. Slime coat protects coral. For localized in tank treatment with peroxide for your situation, I would use a toothbrush with peroxide. Brushing underwater dilutes peroxide, so every minute resoak brush in peroxide.

PS. For certain, out of tank treatment is best. After I soak in peroxide, I brush off anything that has been oxidized before going back to tank. Usually, I aggressively shake off much gunk.

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For regrowth of nuisance problems, peroxide is indiscriminate. Slime coat protects coral. For localized in tank treatment with peroxide for your situation, I would use a toothbrush with peroxide. Brushing underwater dilutes peroxide, so every minute resoak brush in peroxide.
Ok thanks

OP
OP
T

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a dip with peroxide killed the lettuce and the grape calamari now it seems to be coming back and i pick the cheoto out of the tank about every third day added to emerald crabs thinking they might eat it but nope all i have in there is 2 clowns pistol shrimp ywg and the clean up crew does anybody know anything that i can put in there that would eat this stuff in a 29 gallon

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back