More than 1 of each in a 200G frag? Yellow Eye Kole and One Spot Foxface

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently, I have similar volume but 3 separate (connected) tanks. Each has a Kole and I have two Foxface. Sometime in March, I will be consolidating everything to a single 10' raceway tank.

Do I have to rehome the extra foxface and two yellow eyed Koles?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently, I have similar volume but 3 separate (connected) tanks. Each has a Kole and I have two Foxface. Sometime in March, I will be consolidating everything to a single 10' raceway tank.

Do I have to rehome the extra foxface and two yellow eyed Koles?
You should be alright with the foxface but nobody can say truly if they would be alright, same with the tangs. Are all the tangs the same species?

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With foxface I doubt any issues but possibly with the koles mines a jerk different personality with each fish though could work in that size
Thank you. Presently, they are all submissive to other larger tangs in their current setting. They are all fat juveniles/young adults. 3-4 inches, if that helps.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Presently, they are all submissive to other larger tangs in their current setting. They are all fat juveniles/young adults. 3-4 inches, if that helps.
That’s a young adult and if you introduced them together it could possibly work however I have found these tangs to prefer being in singles or pairs in the wild and since we don’t know how to tell their gender appart it’s best to stay with just one specimen.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me a kole tang that doesn't develop into a jerk. With that said, I find the blue eyed kole to be less of an ******.

The foxface should be fine, but I'd bet my house the tangs will eventually become an issue to each other.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that foxfaces prefer pairs but I don’t really remember. You should be alright however be ready to pull separation if it is needed (Constant chasing, fins torn, ect…)

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a young adult and if you introduced them together it could possibly work however I have found these tangs to prefer being in singles or pairs in the wild and since we don’t know how to tell their gender appart it’s best to stay with just one specimen.
On the bright side, it is a frag system. Unlike a reef, it is easy to net out a fish.

So, I guess I am looking for any high conviction, hard "no" responses. They are such good utility fish I'd love to keep them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me a kole tang that doesn't develop into a jerk. With that said, I find the blue eyed kole to be less of an ******.
I have found this to be the same, my current Ctenochaetus binotatus doesn’t care about any new inhabitants but will care if the older guys fall out of line.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh, I just remembered I will have two Tomini tangs as well... doh.
And this is where it gets hard…
One kole and one tomini should be alright however multiples of the same species is hard, and what makes it harder is being unable to grab a female and a male.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a white tail and a flame tail tolmini
Yeah, that’s why they got along then, they weren’t similar species like Ctenochaetus strigosus and Ctenochaetus trunctatus or Ctenochaetus binotatus and Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, the consensus seems to be:

Foxface pair likely to be OK
Yellow Eye Koles (3) likely to eventually (if not immediately) become a problem together even in a 10' tank.

More opinions and/or experiences to share?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back