Mosquito worms in freshwater

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 2 brutes. One for RODI water and the other to mix with salt. I noticed little worms in my RODI water. I'm guessing they're mosquito larvae. Looks like the same stuff I'd see in standing water in the yard. Anybody else have this problem?

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do have lids. I don't shut them completely all the time though since I didn't think about standing water and mosquitos. I also have the power cord for the pump running out of it so I can't completely put the lid on.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I assume this is a common problem? Just odd that I never read anything about this when I was reading about how to set up my salt mixing station.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mosquitos will only lay eggs on stagnant water. So just make some kind of water movement across the surface and your fine. One of my freshwater tanks (tropical corys) will get mosquito larvae every once in awhile but I just suck them up and feed to my 55g planted freshwater tank where the angle fish and cherry barbs love them!

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mosquitos will only lay eggs on stagnant water. So just make some kind of water movement across the surface and your fine. One of my freshwater tanks (tropical corys) will get mosquito larvae every once in awhile but I just suck them up and feed to my 55g planted freshwater tank where the angle fish and cherry barbs love them!
Oh ok. So just stick a powerhead in there? I have one in my other brute to mix the salt.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrifying! Never had that issue or heard of it though suppose it’s possible

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My brutes are in the garage. At first I was like what the heck! But makes total sense now. I try not to have standing water in my yard. Didn't even click about the water in the brute.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back