Most Accurate Continuous Dosers - for Auto Water Changes - Your Ideas and Suggestions

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a Saltwater Mix Station, using two food safe 65 gallon liquid storage tanks. The plumbing is definitely a challenge, but at least I have a plan. The thing that I didn't expect would be so difficult, is picking out a decent reasonably affordable, continuous dosing pump, that can accurately and simultaneously move a gallon of water in / out of my upstairs 120 gallon reef, on a daily basis. Even some of the newest and best continuous dosing pumps have back siphoning and reliability issues, not to mention that for whatever reason, the Echo Tech Versa (which I am currently most interested in testing out) seems to be perpetually unavailable.

I am aware of systems that use buckets and float switches, but for my install an accurate, high volume dosing pump is necessary, given I am moving water 8' up into a sump with very little wiggle room when it comes to the water level in the return chamber.

With all that said, at a time when so many are setting up AWC systems, why aren't there more dedicated AWC Continuous Dosing Pump options available, that are up to the task? One thought I, and I am sure many of you, have had is a DC doser that has a flow meter after the peristaltic or pumping mechanism, constantly adjusting and maintaining the accuracy of the dose. Maybe this is a challenging design, due to reasons I am unaware of. The point is, there are improvements that can be made.

In this thread, please share your ideas regarding Auto Water Change dosing system and pump improvements, along with your personal experience with pumps that are currently available, reliable and up to the task.

Thanks

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using a DOS. The heads aren't super expensive to replace, you can use non-Neptune ones for cheaper, they just won't look orange.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, thank you for the DOS recommendations, but also interested in hearing about reliable options that don't require the Neptune platform/controller to run the AWC dosing pumps.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Masterflex with multiple heads is a solid option. Take a look at the Genisys Renew system. I've heard that recommended a few times for higher volume systems.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run the autoaqua awc, and I love it!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the pumps below in the photo as my ATO and AWC pumps. I don't have an upstairs in my house so the pumps are on the same level as the tank. They are however in the garage and the tubing runs through the attic to the room with the tank. The tubing is in PVC conduit with insulation though. I paid around $26 a piece for them. I have used the ATO for around 3 months and the AWC pumps for a little over 2 months. So far no issues. I do control them with a controller. The AWC pumps are on for 15 minutes 3 times a day. The ATO pump can come on once an hour for up to 5 minutes if needed. There is a control to adjust flow of the pump and also 2 tubing sizes included. I got them from Amazon. The only problem I can see is if the tubing springs a leak which can happen on any of these types of pumps it will syphon water out of your tank system unless you can mount the pumps above water level in your tank. That would solve the issue with the pump tubing leaking. At the price you can always get one and try it out. You will need some way to control the power to the pump though. There are no timers on the pump itself.

IMG_4412.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Aquarium Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62688EC8-8960-40D6-818E-44016BA4B4A9.jpeg
I am in the process of setting up a Saltwater Mix Station, using two food safe 65 gallon liquid storage tanks. The plumbing is definitely a challenge, but at least I have a plan. The thing that I didn't expect would be so difficult, is picking out a decent reasonably affordable, continuous dosing pump, that can accurately and simultaneously move a gallon of water in / out of my upstairs 120 gallon reef, on a daily basis. Even some of the newest and best continuous dosing pumps have back siphoning and reliability issues, not to mention that for whatever reason, the Echo Tech Versa (which I am currently most interested in testing out) seems to be perpetually unavailable.

I am aware of systems that use buckets and float switches, but for my install an accurate, high volume dosing pump is necessary, given I am moving water 8' up into a sump with very little wiggle room when it comes to the water level in the return chamber.

With all that said, at a time when so many are setting up AWC systems, why aren't there more dedicated AWC Continuous Dosing Pump options available, that are up to the task? One thought I, and I am sure many of you, have had is a DC doser that has a flow meter after the peristaltic or pumping mechanism, constantly adjusting and maintaining the accuracy of the dose. Maybe this is a challenging design, due to reasons I am unaware of. The point is, there are improvements that can be made.

In this thread, please share your ideas regarding Auto Water Change dosing system and pump improvements, along with your personal experience with pumps that are currently available, reliable and up to the task.

Thanks

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

The Versa Dosing pumps are well worth the effort in getting!! Call BRS and Marine Depot and find out when the next shipment is do in and start looking in the mornings around that date. I was not able to get the 4 pack but really didn’t need it. I picked up 2 of them and they are Super nice I do 2 gallons a day AWC. It adjust for different water line lengths and is spot on. Very quite as well. Also It is so nice to have the push to connect fittings. Easy programming with the app. No disappointments here!!!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a volume of up to 2 gallons per day I would say any of the "hobby" specific pumps are a decent option. Anything larger and I would really consider paying the money for a good quality, dual headed Stenner pump.

Bizzie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG
Afraid I can’t help with your question as I am new to reefing ( patiently waiting for Cade to arrive). Where did you purchase water storage units? Looking to purchase something similar for salt water mixing station.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back