Most effective Nutrient Export

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I will be setting up a 500-600 litre mixed reef tank and I was wondering what is the most effective form of nutrient export for a reef tank? How should I build my sump for that to work? I have two options, they are:
a) Filter socks, protein skimmer and refugium.
b) Roller mat, Protein skimmer and reactors
I am leaning more towards the second option as I kind of want a clear sump look (don’t want algae all over the sump). I want to use a roller mat and a skimmer which should remove all the nutrients effectively before it breaks down right? I plan on adding a small chaeto reactor or an ats if and when necessary. In the second option I will have a smaller refugium, mainly to keep some bio media. Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you guys suggest I use and why? Please let me know, thank you so much!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know, but if I had to venture a guess. . .

Fleece roller, skimmer, refugium/algae scrubber

Fleece roller is gonna trap and remove what it can, skimmer will catch smaller stuff, and algae will absorb nitrates and phosphates. . . maybe throw on an auto water change system. . .

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but if I had to venture a guess. . .

Fleece roller, skimmer, refugium/algae scrubber

Fleece roller is gonna trap and remove what it can, skimmer will catch smaller stuff, and algae will absorb nitrates and phosphates. . . maybe throw on an auto water change system. . .
I see thank you so much!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a different boat regarding nutrients, I prefer to use artificial nutrients to balance the system and all is required is 3 bottles of different sources of nitrogen, phosphates, carbon and a protein skimmer.
Depending on which nutrients I need to lower or raise, I just add nutrients accordingly.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a different boat regarding nutrients, I prefer to use artificial nutrients to balance the system and all is required is 3 bottles of different sources of nitrogen, phosphates, carbon and a protein skimmer.
Depending on which nutrients I need to lower or raise, I just add nutrients accordingly.
Oh I never heard of that before. Could you please tell me how it works? Thank you in advance!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I never heard of that before. Could you please tell me how it works? Thank you in advance!
It works similar to a water treatment station.

if nitrates and phosphates are elevated in the system organic carbon is dosed (vodka, vinegar, pellets etc)

if only phosphates are elevated, carbon and nitrogen are dosed

if only nitrates are elevated, carbon and phosphates are dosed

If nitrates or phosphates deplete alone, then the nutrient being depleted gets dosed individually.

this works with stimulating the growth of heterotrophic bacteria or reducing the growth of the same, organic carbon controls the number of bacteria and how much Nitrates and phosphates gets depleted.
The bacteria assimilates nutrients to his mass therefore they need to be actively removed from the system via skimming.
the method is fairly similar to a refugium just more controllable.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works similar to a water treatment station.

if nitrates and phosphates are elevated in the system organic carbon is dosed (vodka, vinegar, etc)

if only phosphates are elevated, carbon and nitrogen are dosed

if only nitrates are elevated, carbon and phosphates are dosed

If nitrates or phosphates deplete alone, then the nutrient being depleted gets dosed individually.

this works with stimulating the growth of heterotrophic bacteria
I see thank you so much!

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a 500L mixed reef coming 2 years. I would suggest to keep all the nutrient export options open and adjust according to your livestocks. I started with Skimmer and ATS. Instead of filter sock I went with filter cups filled with bio media and any available space in the sump was stuffed with more bio medias. Today, I deploy in addition to the above, Refugium, Biopellets and dose Heterotrophic bacteria diligently. GFO and LaCl on hand to manage any runaway PO4. I subscribe to heavy in heavy out, therefore my fishes are fat, and in turn their waste feed my corals.

F789507B-27A6-4D5C-A23A-62DB4BF067BB.jpeg

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a 500L mixed reef coming 2 years. I would suggest to keep all the nutrient export options open and adjust according to your livestocks. I started with Skimmer and ATS. Instead of filter sock I went with filter cups filled with bio media and any available space in the sump was stuffed with more bio medias. Today, I deploy in addition to the above, Refugium, Biopellets and dose Heterotrophic bacteria diligently. GFO and LaCl on hand to manage any runaway PO4. I subscribe to heavy in heavy out, therefore my fishes are fat, and in turn their waste feed my corals.

F789507B-27A6-4D5C-A23A-62DB4BF067BB.jpeg
Okie thank you so much!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend your money on live rock and live sand instead of filters & gadgets. I would create a sump that had a refugium full of live rock and sand that also had space for a moderately priced skimmer. Let the life in the tank and refugium be your filtration.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend your money on live rock and live sand instead of filters & gadgets. I would create a sump that had a refugium full of live rock and sand that also had space for a moderately priced skimmer. Let the life in the tank and refugium be your filtration.
What do you think of using a Bubble Magus Roller Mat (large size) and a Bubble Magus Curve 9 elite Protein Skimmer as the main filtration? That is what I plan on using for now and rocks or bio media in the sump along with some sand in a container so that it is easy to take in and out when needed.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of using a Bubble Magus Roller Mat (large size) and a Bubble Magus Curve 9 elite Protein Skimmer as the main filtration? That is what I plan on using for now and rocks or bio media in the sump along with some sand in a container so that it is easy to take in and out when needed.
I use a Curve 7 in my 90. It works ok, but can be a little flaky. It isn't the primary exporter of nutrients in my tank though. The organisms on/in the rocks and the corals do that job. If I were using a skimmer as my primary export device, I'd choose a similar Reef Octopus skimmer instead. I haven't used roller mats as it seems expensive. I use filter socks when I want to catch some gross organics, but otherwise I don't use any mechanical filtration. I think it removes Pods and stuff that are good for the tank.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bubble Magus Medium Fleece Roller, Nyos 220, and small section of Chaeto in the sump and my Nutrients are still high (N=25-35, P=0.10-0.12). Tank is mixed reef, overstock with fishes. I think I need to vacuum the sandbed more often as Nutrients probably trapped there.
BTW, the Bubble Magus is working great but their Fleece rolls will only last 2-3 weeks. I am using aftermarket materials instead, half the price for twice as much and last 3x longer.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Curve 7 in my 90. It works ok, but can be a little flaky. It isn't the primary exporter of nutrients in my tank though. The organisms on/in the rocks and the corals do that job. If I were using a skimmer as my primary export device, I'd choose a similar Reef Octopus skimmer instead. I haven't used roller mats as it seems expensive. I use filter socks when I want to catch some gross organics, but otherwise I don't use any mechanical filtration. I think it removes Pods and stuff that are good for the tank.
I don’t think I will be able to get a reef octopus right away but do you think that a curve 9 elite will do the job for a 500-600 litre tank? I think it will because unlike the filter socks the roller mat should remove a lot of the nutrients before they breakdown right?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bubble Magus Medium Fleece Roller, Nyos 220, and small section of Chaeto in the sump and my Nutrients are still high (N=25-35, P=0.10-0.12). Tank is mixed reef, overstock with fishes. I think I need to vacuum the sandbed more often as Nutrients probably trapped there.
BTW, the Bubble Magus is working great but their Fleece rolls will only last 2-3 weeks. I am using aftermarket materials instead, half the price for twice as much and last 3x longer.
I see thank you so much! What are some ways I can increase the duration of time a fleece roll lasts for in the bubble magus roller mats? Also do they have any problems like some of the other skimmers do? Like over rolling or getting jammed? Also do you think I can get away with a curve 9 elite protein skimmer and a roller mat by bubble magus? Since the roller mat should remove a lot of the food and all before it can break down. Also did you ever try an algae turf scrubber? I think they are more effective than chaeto…

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I will be setting up a 500-600 litre mixed reef tank and I was wondering what is the most effective form of nutrient export for a reef tank? How should I build my sump for that to work? I have two options, they are:
a) Filter socks, protein skimmer and refugium.
b) Roller mat, Protein skimmer and reactors
I am leaning more towards the second option as I kind of want a clear sump look (don’t want algae all over the sump). I want to use a roller mat and a skimmer which should remove all the nutrients effectively before it breaks down right? I plan on adding a small chaeto reactor or an ats if and when necessary. In the second option I will have a smaller refugium, mainly to keep some bio media. Which one do you prefer and why? Which one would you guys suggest I use and why? Please let me know, thank you so much!

Filter socks/roller, carbon reactor, refugium, and possibly a skimmer on a timer (run at night). Keep snails in the refugium to keep it clean. I have an urchin down in mine cleaning it up. This combo above it pretty much going to be the best. Ignore biomedia or use very little as its not that helpful in my opinion and just becomes a detritus trap. I tend to not like the fleece rollers due to cost and that its a bit wasteful but they work well. Refugiums are my #1 in any scenario. I often tell people to skip the skimmer and go for a refugium or put a small skimmer in the refugium section. I have my refugium in the dedicated skimmer section (no skimmer). I am not a fan of skimmers on new systems since they are a sort of water column sterilizer.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks/roller, carbon reactor, refugium, and possibly a skimmer on a timer (run at night). Keep snails in the refugium to keep it clean. I have an urchin down in mine cleaning it up. This combo above it pretty much going to be the best. Ignore biomedia or use very little as its not that helpful in my opinion and just becomes a detritus trap. I tend to not like the fleece rollers due to cost and that its a bit wasteful but they work well. Refugiums are my #1 in any scenario. I often tell people to skip the skimmer and go for a refugium or put a small skimmer in the refugium section. I have my refugium in the dedicated skimmer section (no skimmer). I am not a fan of skimmers on new systems since they are a sort of water column sterilizer.
Okie thank you so much! Would you say to keep anything in the refugium like sand or rock? If so which will be better? I wanted a semi cryptic refugium with a mini chaeto or algae reactor or would you say to go with a refugium?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okie thank you so much! Would you say to keep anything in the refugium like sand or rock? If so which will be better? I wanted a semi cryptic refugium with a mini chaeto or algae reactor or would you say to go with a refugium?
I forgot to mention I also have Bio Blocks in the sump as well (but not sure if they do anything). If you have space, I would say go for a refugium. If not, Algae reactor would probably work well.
BTW, my nutrients were way higher than that so I think the Fleece roller definitely help with export.
Maybe start with filter socks or Fleece roller 1st and see how it goes?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I also have Bio Blocks in the sump as well (but not sure if they do anything). If you have space, I would say go for a refugium. If not, Algae reactor would probably work well.
BTW, my nutrients were way higher than that so I think the Fleece roller definitely help with export.
Maybe start with filter socks or Fleece roller 1st and see how it goes
Yeah that is what I will probably do. I will start with a filter roller and then add whatever needed when adding fish. I will add 4 Maxspect plates between the baffles of the last chamber before the return pump so that there is a lot of flow around the media. Would you say to line the bottom of the refugium with bio media or should I leave it empty with a container of sand in one side for the pods? Or should I do a mix of both? I was thinking of lining most of the bottom with the bio media made my Hygger (I am not sure if that is the correct name tho) they are rectangular pieces of bio media with a small hole in the middle. So I was hoping that would work? For the bacteria to grow and also for the copepods to stay in? If not then I will add a container of sand and as well as a block of course foam.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is what I will probably do. I will start with a filter roller and then add whatever needed when adding fish. I will add 4 Maxspect plates between the baffles of the last chamber before the return pump so that there is a lot of flow around the media. Would you say to line the bottom of the refugium with bio media or should I leave it empty with a container of sand in one side for the pods? Or should I do a mix of both? I was thinking of lining most of the bottom with the bio media made my Hygger (I am not sure if that is the correct name tho) they are rectangular pieces of bio media with a small hole in the middle. So I was hoping that would work? For the bacteria to grow and also for the copepods to stay in? If not then I will add a container of sand and as well as a block of course foam.
I think bio media would work. Not sure about sand as they tend to trap detritus.
I used to have a very healthy and robust pods population. However, most of them disappeared since I started using Fleece Roller about 5 months ago. I think the fleece rollers did too good of a job of filtering out the "foods" to sustain pods.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back