Most efficient safest way to keep phosphates in check?

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Phosguard and then read that it leaches aluminum. Is this true? Instead I use nothing but treat tank weekly with Phosphate E. My Phosphates hoover at .05-.06. I am constantly dealing with cyno outbreaks. Could Phosphate E cause this? Used chemiclean in past but still comes back. Usually on lower rocks and sand. Thinking of using Dr. Tim's method.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Could 7 mo old T-5's cause this?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to keep Phosphates in check is to identify the source of the phosphates and correct. One possibility is your food.

What do you feed, how much and how often?

It is my understanding that lighting does not cause elevated phosphates.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis pellets in am

Frozen PE Mysis and Reef Frenzy in pm

3 times a week Sea Veggies

All food contains phosphates. But I believe dried food has much more than frozen does.

Tell us more about your tank... how big is it? How often do you do water changes and how big are those water changes?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so have. Chaeto does not grow well

What are your phosphate and nitrate test numbers? Please post them along with he age of the test.

If your Chaeto isn't growing well, it is because you have low nutrient levels in the tank.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s not true. phosgusrd is safe to use and is the most economical and easy way to control phos and silicates. I have used it in SPS tanks for years and so have reefer friends. A very smart guy who ran a coral farm in his garage turned me onto it. I used to use rowa exclusively and it works great but too expensive.
all PE foods are loaded with an oil product similar to selcon. Very rich and polutting. Stop using the PE and use regular frozen rinsed in ro/di water and you’ll see an improvement along with phos media.you can still use pe but very sparingly like once per week or so. It shouldn’t be the main diet.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Phosguard and then read that it leaches aluminum. Is this true? Instead I use nothing but treat tank weekly with Phosphate E. My Phosphates hoover at .05-.06. I am constantly dealing with cyno outbreaks. Could Phosphate E cause this? Used chemiclean in past but still comes back. Usually on lower rocks and sand. Thinking of using Dr. Tim's method.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Could 7 mo old T-5's cause this?
In order for the phosphates to be stable, it is necessary to keep a sufficient number of live stones that will serve as a buffer. It is necessary to take some more points into account, this is how the phosphate was measured, at what time of day, how much time has passed after feeding.

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+2 ATS

It will use up all left over nutrients in your tank.

Takes a month or so to break in but once it does you will see a drop in both N + P.

20210716_133918.jpg

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those po4 levels are really a issue and good ranges for SPS. As far as the cyano, what are your no3 levels? Cyano can thrive in low nitrogen environments. You will be surprised that increasing no3 can rid cyano in some cases. 1:100 N:p ratio has always help me with cyano. Once the ratio was corrected cyano went away almost over night.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s not true. phosgusrd is safe to use and is the most economical and easy way to control phos and silicates. I have used it in SPS tanks for years and so have reefer friends. A very smart guy who ran a coral farm in his garage turned me onto it. I used to use rowa exclusively and it works great but too expensive.
all PE foods are loaded with an oil product similar to selcon. Very rich and polutting. Stop using the PE and use regular frozen rinsed in ro/di water and you’ll see an improvement along with phos media.you can still use pe but very sparingly like once per week or so. It shouldn’t be the main diet.

What's not true?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For myself, limiting the amount of food portion and use of chemipure Blue or Elite is a sure bet.
My phos has hit a high of .03 and nitrate .5 with chemipure

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rowaphos and keep phosphate locked down below 0.03 so very low

Its been in use since day 1 of my large system and we skipped the ugly stage by doing this

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back