Most efficient way to cool my tank in summer?

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon reef in a 5x4m room. During summer our temps are around 35 degrees Celsius (91 Fahrenheit) however can get up closer to 40 at the hottest days of the year. Atm I’m using a 2.5kw split system in the room set at 25 degrees and a cooling fan on the tank. Is this the most efficient way or would a chiller be more efficient? Also considering the fact I’d have to spend 600 dollars to buy the chiller when I already have an aircon.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evaporative cooling. Is not the most efficient way but a chiller is very expensive. Do you have a controller that your heater and fan are connected to?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chiller is the most effective but you have to weigh the cost...where I am I don't have much of a choice but to use a chiller for one of my nanos...chillers in my opinion are much more reliable. Maybe consider how much money you have invested in coral to help you decide.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A fan with a temperature controller (or temp probe and apex) will be the most reliable and cheap way to do it, especially if you already have an apex controller. $15 clip on fans work just fine. You would running them over the water surface in your DT.
Added bonus with this method - higher Ph.
Sam

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most efficient would be to keep ambient temp at around 79 and below in environment I think if possible.

OP
OP
C

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ll probably stick with keeping room temp around 25 degrees and use cooling fans for evaporative cooling.
thanks guys.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on a number of factors. Chillers will be less efficient if you are pumping the heat back into the room the tank is in, less efficient again if it is in the cabinet beside the sump. Fans can be very efficient but will be more efficient if the room has low humidity, barely useful if the room is at 99% humidity. Air conditioning will be more efficient in a closed room where the room can be cooked quickly and more efficient again if used on a dehumidifying setting.

OP
OP
C

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
It depends on a number of factors. Chillers will be less efficient if you are pumping the heat back into the room the tank is in, less efficient again if it is in the cabinet beside the sump. Fans can be very efficient but will be more efficient if the room has low humidity, barely useful if the room is at 99% humidity. Air conditioning will be more efficient in a closed room where the room can be cooked quickly and more efficient again if used on a dehumidifying setting.
Yes well I csn shut the door of the room and all windows and the aircon also dehumidifies the air so I’m guessing it will be quite an effiecnt way of keeping it cool.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Brazil, we get 35ºC/95ºF easyly in summer, I use a freezer fan and a controler to keep around 26ºC/78,8ºF. It evaporates a lot, but keep it in control

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Different corals have different temperature ranges. You can make an effort to bring the temperature of the tank down, make an effort to pick corals that will adapt to higher temperatures, or a combination of the two approaches. Good luck with whichever way you choose.

OP
OP
C

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different corals have different temperature ranges. You can make an effort to bring the temperature of the tank down, make an effort to pick corals that will adapt to higher temperatures, or a combination of the two approaches. Good luck with whichever way you choose.
What corals would I be best to choose I was hoping to make a mostly Euphillyia dominated tank.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon reef in a 5x4m room. During summer our temps are around 35 degrees Celsius (91 Fahrenheit) however can get up closer to 40 at the hottest days of the year. Atm I’m using a 2.5kw split system in the room set at 25 degrees and a cooling fan on the tank. Is this the most efficient way or would a chiller be more efficient? Also considering the fact I’d have to spend 600 dollars to buy the chiller when I already have an aircon.
The chiller would need to be in another room or it will just heat the tank room.
They are not as efficient as your mini split.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What corals would I be best to choose I was hoping to make a mostly Euphillyia dominated tank.
Often the lagoon corals, Caribbean corals, and other shallow water corals/anemones are warmer water.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back