Most essential parts/features of a sump? How do i build it? Any guides?

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im new to this and will be building a 20g long sump with a refugiam as i'm really interested in having macros, and more importantly a manderin goby. I dont know anything about sumps besides the refugiam part and im having a difficult time finding any info on what needs to be included, how many chambers and what each chamber does. I know i need some baffles, return pump, and maybe some filter socks, but how many chambers and how big? why are there really tightly placed baffles on some sumps? Im assuming the chamber size and baffle position is important? what about a bubble stopper? What do the other chambers do and what should they have in them? to me it just seems like they all hold water, and thats it

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each Chamber is sized to either equipment or refugium needs. For example my 100 tank I turned into a sump/refugium is 60” x 20” x 18” the drains go into my first chamber through 4 - 4” filtersock this chamber is also my refugium which is 30” x 20”, my second chamber is 20” x 20” and has my skimmer and all my probes in it ( temp, ph, salinity, etc ) my third and final chamber is 9” x 20” this is where my heaters, return pump, and dosing lines are. I have single baffles but there are some folks that put two next to east other to help with bubbles getting by. Most people that build the double baffle style have 1/2” to 1” gap between baffles. I prefer the single baffle as it’s easier to clean.
As for flow in mine chamber 1 flows over a 12” tall baffle into chamber 2 then under a baffle that is 12” tall but has a 2” gap under it into chamber 3

Here is a link to the triton method style sump I run. It’s personal preference if the fuge is first skimmer second or visa versa it works both ways. I started opposite of how mine is now and honestly don’t see a difference. Anyway here’s the link skip to page 5 it explains their theory on the sump style I use.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
R

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help and useful link. I’d been looking for something like this to actually explain why a certain baffle setup it Bette than others!

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully tomorrow more folks will be awake that made their own sumos and explain their set up and what made them go that way. There’s plenty of styles out there you just need to pick the one that fits your needs is what it boils down to. For example if you have no plans to grow macro algae because your going to have a turf scrubber then there is no need to have more then 2 chambers in my opinion. Again there really no right or wrong it’s just what fits your needs.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 20 will be tight if you want to grow macros. I got a 29 and wish i had something longer. The socks and equiptment take up alot of room, especially since you dont want them to be super cramped.

Other than that, best thing to do is get the equipment first, and lay it in the tank, then mark your chamber dimensions. Plan for any possible additions down the road. The height of your baffles will mostlu be dictated from your skimmer. It can be higher than the recommended water level height, but never lower.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve been asking some good questions! Sumps I don’t have a ton of experience with as I’ve only done 2 other than the one on my build tank and they were freshwater.
The baffles close together are for a bubble trap to keep micro bubbles from getting back into your display tank. Some people put them close together to keep the footprint small. I think that it sucks to clean tight spots like that and also like the option of stuffing a strip of coarse foam between them to keep anything from getting into the pump. I leave an inch and a half or two for that reason. The chamber sizes are totally dependent on what you want in it. I cut cardboard in the size of the equipment I wanted and laid it out in the tank and made cardboard baffles to mock it all up and make sure it would fit before cutting glass.

Here are some articles I found useful though

Hope that helps!

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer I'm in this the simpler my sumps get.

These days I've settled on 3 chambers.
1. The DT tank drains into the well lit algal refugium. This keeps the chaeto tumbling. Water flows DOWN
2. The water flows UP ithrough a chamber completely filled with live rock
3. The water falls DOWN into the third chamber with skimmer, heater, and return pump.

I've found bubble traps/extra baffles to be completely unnecessary if you place your return pump properly. And I have no interest in filter socks. So a simple three chamber sump works well. Buy a cheap aquarium and two pieces of glass or acrylic, glue them together, done...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back