Most important tank dimension for a FOWLR tank?

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering one of the three following tanks and would like some advice concerning dimensions.

I’m mainly wondering what would be the most suitable home for the fish. Longer display vs deeper? Taller vs shorter? Am I splitting hairs between the three? And any other input is welcomed.

Stocking list isn’t completed but I’m generally looking to house large angels, tangs, wrasses, butterfly fish, puffer, anthias, foxface, trigger??(open to suggestions or cautionary tales)

WB 220.6 (LxWxH) 72.3"×25.3"×23.6"
DT water volume 167gal total 220

RS 3XL 900 79”x25.6”x25.6
DT water volume 192 total 240

IM Nuvo EXT 200 70.9"x 30"x 21.7"
DT water volume 200 total TBD

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think there's much difference with the 3 tanks that you listed.

But I think longer then tall would be better for bigger fishes like the one you want.

So with that in mind my pick would be RS 3XL 900

My thoughts exactly but wanted to hear from others. Wish WB made the longer tank of the three since I’ve been hearing such great things about them. Ive has a couple RS tanks and wanted to try out something different. Thanks for the reply!

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly but wanted to hear from others. Wish WB made the longer tank of the three since I’ve been hearing such great things about them. Ive has a couple RS tanks and wanted to try out something different. Thanks for the reply!

I have not research those big tanks. But have you try others? Cade, Mode, planet aquarium, glass aquarium

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not research those big tanks. But have you try others? Cade, Mode, planet aquarium, glass aquarium
I’ve lost track of tank brands I’ve researched so many lol from what I remember no one has topped RS on the 79” length

I will say the Cade design was definitely intriguing. I’ll check out the others you suggested. Thanks.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go longer. I did what you are about to but found 6 ft is just too small for bigger fish. If nothing else go 72 by 30 or 36. custom Aquarium built my 6 ft tank and did a very nice job.
Yea I was just thinking that. At some point you have to at least consider custom. The wall it would go up against in my office is 11ft long so there’s def a lot of room to go bigger.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add stand for 1k your at 2800.
Then you piece together equipment. They even make sumps.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the perfect tank! crystalline premium reef 96”L 24”W 21”H (found it on DFW aquariums website I believe it’s a planet aquarium) thanks for the advice ladies and gentleman!

Reading this thread, I was going to say that deep tanks are a challenge for short people (like myself) to clean or reach the bottom when necessary. I like how they look but I don't like to snorkel doing tank chores. :) The dimensions on this tank are better all around, imo.

Reaching from front to back are also a chore, 24" is about the end of my extension. :)

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread, I was going to say that deep tanks are a challenge for short people (like myself) to clean or reach the bottom when necessary. I like how they look but I don't like to snorkel doing tank chores. :) The dimensions on this tank are better all around, imo.

Reaching from front to back are also a chore, 24" is about the end of my extension. :)
Totally agree!

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys thoughts on the amount of space on the side? I’m def a huge proponent of making maintenance easy. If it’s easy it gets done. If it’s a huge inconvenience husbandry suffers.

Have y’all found a foot between the tank’s side panel and wall enough? Should go bigger tank and only leave 6in? or even bigger and customize it to make it flush because access from the front is enough? (11ftwall)

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give a better idea. No fish room Unfortunately. Really want an external overflow. And this is the wall it would go on.

E224E497-2CB6-4344-A24D-C1A704160F16.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the options you are exploring are fairly close together, so not much 'going wrong' between a 70", 72" and even the 79". But be aware that no one is going to deliver a 96" to your home; it will either be to a shipping dock, or if you go through an LFS, it's yours from there-to-home. Best wishes in your decision-making. :)

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the options you are exploring are fairly close together, so not much 'going wrong' between a 70", 72" and even the 79". But be aware that no one is going to deliver a 96" to your home; it will either be to a shipping dock, or if you go through an LFS, it's yours from there-to-home. Best wishes in your decision-making. :)
Do you know if people typically have to hire a third party moving company to actually get inside their home? I can’t imagine a lot of people have the vehicle or equipment necessary to move it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back