Most Interesting Fish To Watch (not just prettiest) for smaller (45 gallon) tanks

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Which fish suitable for smaller tanks (45 gallon) are the most fun to watch?

Setting up a 45 gallon tank (Max E 170) this week that I will be stocking with fish in March (going to cycle this thing the right way). I have always been more interested in keeping fish that are interesting to watch, not just pretty to look at. I'm planning on doing LPS, softies, and having a large clean up crew (they are fun to watch). To be honest, the inverts are the most interesting thing to me (I love hermits!). I'm getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence and there are quite a few fish new to me available to me now.

I'm thinking 4 0r 5 smaller fish (added over months) and am looking at easier fish to keep. I'm thinking a 6 line Wrasse, a Royal Gramma (or Neon Dottyback), a yellow watchman goby, and maybe one or two other small fish.

Other than the obvious answer of clownfish (don't have much personality IMO), what would you recommend (added responsibly over time).

Also, any suggestions for alternatives similar to the 6 line wrasse?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my royal gramma, a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp would be interesting to watch.

I think clowns are interesting to watch, especially clarkii/tomato clowns who very quickly will be hosted in nem and will feed it etc

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Tailspot. I think he likes to play hide and seek. I'll lose sight of him and most of the time he's right in front of me.
8JHXPzEl.jpg

He also likes to play chicken with the PH.
8p8zbAll.jpg

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great alternative for a six line wrasse is Pseudocheilinops ataenia. I absolutely love mine. Very interesting to watch and they will also eat pods and some flatworms like sixlines. Pictures of them online do not do them justice.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Midas Blenny. He's pretty interactive and darts in and out of his caves

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass the Royal Gamma because it will hide in the rock works for the most part.
My choice would be:
Cardinal Banggai (a group of 4)
Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair (or a group of Fire Shrimp)
Starry Blenny
Sixline Wrasse (this one will be the last addition to your tank)
Anything added after the Sixline is a hit or a miss due to each Sixline personality.

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second (or third the midas blenny), I had a tailspot and it was pretty fun to watch too. My midas like to play hide and seek with me.....the only issue is, at the moment, it always hides in the same spot!

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass the Royal Gamma because it will hide in the rock works for the most part.
My choice would be:
Cardinal Banggai (a group of 4)
Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair (or a group of Fire Shrimp)
Starry Blenny
Sixline Wrasse (this one will be the last addition to your tank)
Anything added after the Sixline is a hit or a miss due to each Sixline personality.

My royal gramma is out all the time,

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma is out all the time,
I have Royal more than 4 months, it's only out in the open water at feeding time, other than that it's stay near rock work, near where its favorite hole lol

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 pink skunk Clownfish are the highlights. They love playing amongst the tentacles of the Anemones. Can’t beat it IMO. Lots of personality not just with each other but me as well.

A close second is my target Mandarin. She is an absolute beauty. Currently in search for a male to join. I love the way she just floats above the rocks.

Now with all this said, I woldnt dare add either of these to a new tank. So a Canary blenny would be my recommendation. VERY personable. Always first to my hand when it’s in the tank, first to the top of the tank to say hello when feeding and always cruising the water column and rock work. The coolest part is he can freeze mid swim.

-Zack, who has lots of persable fish

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Which fish suitable for smaller tanks (45 gallon) are the most fun to watch?

Setting up a 45 gallon tank (Max E 170) this week that I will be stocking with fish in March (going to cycle this thing the right way). I have always been more interested in keeping fish that are interesting to watch, not just pretty to look at. I'm planning on doing LPS, softies, and having a large clean up crew (they are fun to watch). To be honest, the inverts are the most interesting thing to me (I love hermits!). I'm getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence and there are quite a few fish new to me available to me now.

I'm thinking 4 0r 5 smaller fish (added over months) and am looking at easier fish to keep. I'm thinking a 6 line Wrasse, a Royal Gramma (or Neon Dottyback), a yellow watchman goby, and maybe one or two other small fish.

Other than the obvious answer of clownfish (don't have much personality IMO), what would you recommend (added responsibly over time).

Also, any suggestions for alternatives similar to the 6 line wrasse?
I have a 40 breeder with a pair of clowns and a 6 line wrasse (obvious answer as you said above lol) I also have a scooter blenny, and I absolutely love watching him scoot scoot along the bottom of the tank. And they're very pretty under the blue lights. And he eats frozen brine shrimp like crazy :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back