Most Interesting Fish To Watch (not just prettiest) for smaller (45 gallon) tanks

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies and gobies are the most fun to watch but I also enjoy my clowns with their anemone. I, too, love the invertebrates but my short spine (?) urchin does like to rearrange my frags and she's carried 2 of my feather duster worms around for months! They're still alive so I guess they're ok with it.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the pair of clowns with BTA interactions. pisto/gobi should be on your must have list. tailspot blenny would work, and also good for some algae control.
I would avoid a six line in a tank that small. they need a lot of swimming room to help prevent aggression. A pygmy wrasse (like pink streaked) would be a better option for wrasses.
coral beauty or flame angle if you are willing to take the risk with your corals.
Cardinals (kauderns or pajama) will work, but they seem to just stay stationary so I'm not sure they qualify for you.

tuxedo urchin!
a fighting conch if you have enough sand bed.

Be sure to get a lid for that tank. We had two hi fin gobies jump.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Falco Hawk Fish and boy is he busy. Between him and my 6 Line Wrasse I never get bored.
I do not recommend keeping a 6 Line and Royal Gramma. I had a Royal for 2yrs never an issue. Added the 6 Line and it literally chased the Gramma right out of the tank [emoji33]

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Falco Hawk Fish and boy is he busy. Between him and my 6 Line Wrasse I never get bored.
I do not recommend keeping a 6 Line and Royal Gramma. I had a Royal for 2yrs never an issue. Added the 6 Line and it literally chased the Gramma right out of the tank [emoji33]

My Royal gramma is the crabby one! He keeps my 6 line in check and won't let him swim by his cave haha.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma is out all the time,

Yeah agreed I have had several over my reefing career, a great fish once settled.

Cardinals can and are often very cryptic, they like to be camouflaged, and tend to the nocturnal side IME.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't want diamond gobies in their tank because they move the sand around while making tunnels or sifting sand. I noticed while sifting sand to look for food they stay low and don't pile the sand around excessively, but when making tunnels or burrows they move massive amounts. It is still my favorite fish because of it's personality. Mine reminds me of a dog, always ready to eat and chase the feeding tube all around. Any time I go over to the tank he comes swimming up to see what's going on. He is also right there on top of everything as I'm cleaning the tank, probably thinking he's going to get a meal out of the deal...lol. My wife is always laughing while watching the way he interacts. I have had many different fish in the past that were great, and most were way more colorful, but he has quickly became my favorite. Man....I just realized I've never given him a name....maybe Neil...lol.

Sylvain turcotte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't want diamond gobies in their tank because they move the sand around while making tunnels or sifting sand. I noticed while sifting sand to look for food they stay low and don't pile the sand around excessively, but when making tunnels or burrows they move massive amounts. It is still my favorite fish because of it's personality. Mine reminds me of a dog, always ready to eat and chase the feeding tube all around. Any time I go over to the tank he comes swimming up to see what's going on. He is also right there on top of everything as I'm cleaning the tank, probably thinking he's going to get a meal out of the deal...lol. My wife is always laughing while watching the way he interacts. I have had many different fish in the past that were great, and most were way more colorful, but he has quickly became my favorite. Man....I just realized I've never given him a name....maybe Neil...lol.
Carterpiler... loll

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted mandarin was always my favorite to watch buzzing around like a humming bird. Tailspot Blenny 2nd.

20170225_115355.jpg

reeferlove56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a possum wrasse (full grown ~2”), a spotted mandarin, an algae blenny, cherry head goby and a glass anemone shrimp together in my 35 gallon and they are all entertaining to watch! Although I don’t see the wrasse as much as I would like, he is unique and easy going... unlike most six lines and pink wrasses I had in the past. I would recommend these all!

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a possum wrasse (full grown ~2”), a spotted mandarin, an algae blenny, cherry head goby and a glass anemone shrimp together in my 35 gallon and they are all entertaining to watch! Although I don’t see the wrasse as much as I would like, he is unique and easy going... unlike most six lines and pink wrasses I had in the past. I would recommend these all!

Just curious, what problems did you have with the pink streaked wrasse?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
downloadfile.jpg
86 the Neon dottyback idea. They are EXTREMELY bellicose fish. Instead look for a Springeri dottyback. They are similar but smaller and much less aggressive. Probably one of my favorites as far as small fish go. Lots of personality and always flitting about hunting and investigating every nook and cranny.

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
86 the Neon dottyback idea. They are EXTREMELY bellicose fish. Instead look for a Springeri dottyback. They are similar but smaller and much less aggressive. Probably one of my favorites as far as small fish go. Lots of personality and always flitting about hunting and investigating every nook and cranny.
Thanks! Scratching off the Neon.

CircleCityBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second the pink streaked wrasse. Mine is semi-cryptic, and quite attractive. The radial filefish is also interesting. It hangs out in soft coral and changes its appearance in order to camouflage.

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted mandarin was always my favorite to watch buzzing around like a humming bird. Tailspot Blenny 2nd.

20170225_115355.jpg
Totally agree on the Mandarin Goby... but it would be at least a year before I would even consider it in order to get the tank and pods established...

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree on the Mandarin Goby... but it would be at least a year before I would even consider it in order to get the tank and pods established...
Go to the video forum on R2R. I have been doing videos how to grow, harvest, change water, mistakes, and things I have been doing right. I have been talking to chad from reef nutrition that sells tigger pods. You also can follow my videos on YouTube 40B Knasty

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspots are really neat, loved mine but he had to go. He had decided to take up residence in my large ORA red goniopora. I thought it was adorable at first because he'd be in there swaying with the polyps but then I noticed the coral wasn't getting as full as it usually did. He would swim down to the base of the polyps and nip at them. I hoped the behavior would cease but it only got worse. Other blennys of that genus have also been nippers for me. Had to get rid of a bicolor for nipping at zoa's. I just stay away now. Too bad because they are hilarious and great algae grazers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back