Most my fish died!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added GSP about a month ago. Other than that my tank consists of zoas, mushroom, ricordias, tube anemones, bubble anemone.
Just considering the possibility of a pathogen being introduced to your tank on something new that was added, but I’m not sure how likely GSP can carry tomonts. I hope you get an answer soon! Best of luck!

OP
OP
Christophertauraso

Christophertauraso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just considering the possibility of a pathogen being introduced to your tank on something new that was added, but I’m not sure how likely GSP can carry tomonts. I hope you get an answer soon! Best of luck!
Thank you, yeah this one baffled me. The oxygen makes the most sense as my parameter were good. Maybe the equipment turned off randomly when i was gone. Thanks for the help!

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any pumps that are full mains voltage?
Do you have a titanium or glass heater?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 10 gallons I'll be changing tonight. Unless my filter and power heads stopped while I was out for a few hours I have no idea what happened. Ammonia was 0ppm
Nitrate was under under 20
Nitrate was very low. The LFS got the same readings aside from the salinity.
Was ammonia zero at the moment the fish were still alive/gasping for air or did you do that measurement the next morning?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are shipped overnight in small bags without lack of oxygen, there has to happen a lot before a big tank runs out of oxygen. A couple of hours without power won't do it. A bigger problem in this case is a temperature drop.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An older sand bed, especially a deep one if disturbed after long periods can release dangerous gasses into the water
Sorry, I’m coming into this late. Did the fish die with their mouths open? Any air bubbles on their skin or fins?
Doubtful it was low oxygen, that would take the shrimp out. It definitely was not stray voltage. Doubtful to be any water quality issue - most would harm the inverts.
I’m leaning towards either a supersaturation event or Amyloodinium (velvet).
Jay

OP
OP
Christophertauraso

Christophertauraso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any pumps that are full mains voltage?
Do you have a titanium or glass heater?
I have no idea lol
Sorry, I’m coming into this late. Did the fish die with their mouths open? Any air bubbles on their skin or fins?
Doubtful it was low oxygen, that would take the shrimp out. It definitely was not stray voltage. Doubtful to be any water quality issue - most would harm the inverts.
I’m leaning towards either a supersaturation event or Amyloodinium (velvet).
Jay
How does velvet happen and how do you treat that?

OP
OP
Christophertauraso

Christophertauraso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are shipped overnight in small bags without lack of oxygen, there has to happen a lot before a big tank runs out of oxygen. A couple of hours without power won't do it. A bigger problem in this case is a temperature drop.
My thermometer is set to be at 78 minimum. It'll fluctuate in the house between 80-78. Has been that way since I got it and had no issues.

OP
OP
Christophertauraso

Christophertauraso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was ammonia zero at the moment the fish were still alive/gasping for air or did you do that measurement the next morning?
Yes I tested while they were having issues. And the morning after. And at the LFS. Good everytime outside of the salinity being at 1.028

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses.
My thoughts were along with Jay. Unlikely o2, not voltage, doubt salinity had much to do with it. Fish can tolerate higher salinities as long as it was not sudden (like within hours). My guess would be a disease or a toxin. Most toxins will affect inverts too, so that is also unlikely.

Looking at disease. Latent, brought out by a stressor. The stressor could have been many things combined and not one thing to pinpoint.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking supersaturation event like jay said. Velvet would be unlikely in my opinion with no new fish additions in such a long time. Jay would know best with that though. Any pesticides around your home with windows open?

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean your filter socks? I had 2 die offs occur in my 20 gal, pretty close to each other. Never figured out why for certain, but I suspected it was from using bleach in the washer with my filter socks. Only thing that doesn't hold up with that is that they had been washed at least a week prior and I believe bleach evaporates off pretty quickly. Still, I have not used bleach since. I run the tub clean cycle before throwing my socks in the washer with nothing but hot water and an extra rinse cycle.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back