OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you added the fish did you add the water from the bags? The seller may have been using copper or other treatments on fish contaminating the water.... Just a thought. My LFS uses copper on all fish for a period of time.
No I never use the water just because I’ve heard a lot of bad things about it I always either pick them up by hand or net them and drip them for a second

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is white growth on the rocks as well? In my experience that is usually some type of bacteria blooming to consume some type of nutrient. Is it possible to get a pic of it? I agree that water changes and fresh carbon may be the best treatment at the moment. So hard to tell what exactly is happening. I’m sorry your having so much trouble with this. Most of us have been there before. An established reef getting moved can present some very unique challenges. Be sure to take you time with the water changes and get the temp and salinity as close as you can to minimize stress in the tank. Also the Prime is good to have on hand too in case of ammonia or nitrite.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You originally posted that all the fish looked fine. Perhaps you could snap some pictures of the fish (turn off the blue lights if you are using them so we can actually see what you're talking about)?
The ones that had it are flushed into the sea right now but here is one that DID have it this morning

image.jpg

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with starting the cycle again, because of what you added to the 45 gal. I always add seachem stability to my tank when ever I add livestock and for water changes.
That is something I never thought of doing but makes a lot of sense, thanks for the new habit!

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Happy to say that all of the corals (except the bleached stylo) are in my other tank and already looking great again! The affected tank (after a 50% water change and a smaller 5 gallon water change) is looking much better and is re-scaped with a new shelf and is looking healthy enough for now I appreciate all of your help! I’m guessing that either another cycle, or a foreign chemical, or even the fact that 2 30+ polyp Palythoa colonies died may have released that bad gravy into my tank, killing things but either way it is looking a lot better now, parameters have still been stable every day since before the incident, which is why I don’t believe it was a swing but looking good! Appreciate all of the help

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the fish, you stated you also added 6 new corals. What were they? Any anemones? I've had an unhappy nem nuke all the corals in my tank while leaving the fish unaffected.
No nems, but it was a chalice frag, a hammer, a torch, purple stylo, 1 head of kryptonite candy cane, and 3 zoas, that said, 2 colonies that were already in the tank of Palythoa died from the crash so maybe they nuked it? I’m not sure if that’s a thing

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Paly’s are tough to kill too! I’ve seen xenia die and wreak havoc on a tank, so the paly’s may not have started it, but they may be a big part of it.

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Paly’s are tough to kill too! I’ve seen xenia die and wreak havoc on a tank, so the paly’s may not have started it, but they may be a big part of it.
Yes I am happy, but ashamed I managed to do that haha I didn’t like them in there (besides the nuclears, very sad they’re dying) but yup! The Palys turned into just melted white stolon!

Back