Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it seems like most of my fish are on the overrated list like the Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish? Once again docile, normally doesn't grow very fast, perfect size as an adult for a 180 gallon tank, last but not least fairly reef friendly to corals. Also I love my two Black Ice Clowns, paid $50 each.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it seems like most of my fish are on the overrated list like the Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish? Once again docile, normally doesn't grow very fast, perfect size as an adult for a 180 gallon tank, last but not least fairly reef friendly to corals. Also I love my two Black Ice Clowns, paid $50 each.
The Regal angel is too many the nicest of the angels for the reasons you state plus they are one of the least expensive here in the UK. I don;t understand anybody thinking they are overrated but each to their own I guess. Mow as for the tri-colour tang OMG now that has to go down as THE most overrated and expensive fish surly. :rolleyes:

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty new here and trying to wrap my head around why everyone hating on the clowns...Is it that you've been in the hobby so long and have had so many of them yourselves? Is it that everyone and their grandmother has a clown or a pair? Is it that you have one or a pair and nobody else should be able to dang it? lol
So my personal stance on that here is I haven't had one or any sw fish before so a pair of clowns will be the first I put into my tank, such personality and movement.
Obviously this is just personal preference or opinion. But I do find it funny I'm sure everyone here has had clowns and most say they're overrated. 3-4 years ago that blue tang everyone and their grandmother has now was the super hit fish you gotta buy now but in this thread it's overrated lol. Again is it just fads that y'all are burning through so quickly? Maybe these fish aren't overrated as they're overpopulated?(I say that word loosely). Just thinking out loud feel free to bash the noob. Example: if we all decide x fish is underrated and all buy one or a pair for our tanks and re-do this thread again in a year or two that fish we all just bought will more than likely be the newest overrated fish right? So are clowns overrated or have y'all just seen them more than you care to at this point and there's no difference?...Like me and chevys? Blah who cares they're all the same. Maybe it's that we all have different criteria for what we consider overrated/underrated?
As a noob here but long time lurker and lover of sw aquaria, my picks for underrated are; basslets, hogfish and hawkfish. I don't yet have an overrated fish.

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty new here and trying to wrap my head around why everyone hating on the clowns...Is it that you've been in the hobby so long and have had so many of them yourselves? Is it that everyone and their grandmother has a clown or a pair? Is it that you have one or a pair and nobody else should be able to dang it? lol
So my personal stance on that here is I haven't had one or any sw fish before so a pair of clowns will be the first I put into my tank, such personality and movement.
Obviously this is just personal preference or opinion. But I do find it funny I'm sure everyone here has had clowns and most say they're overrated. 3-4 years ago that blue tang everyone and their grandmother has now was the super hit fish you gotta buy now but in this thread it's overrated lol. Again is it just fads that y'all are burning through so quickly? Maybe these fish aren't overrated as they're overpopulated?(I say that word loosely). Just thinking out loud feel free to bash the noob. Example: if we all decide x fish is underrated and all buy one or a pair for our tanks and re-do this thread again in a year or two that fish we all just bought will more than likely be the newest overrated fish right? So are clowns overrated or have y'all just seen them more than you care to at this point and there's no difference?...Like me and chevys? Blah who cares they're all the same. Maybe it's that we all have different criteria for what we consider overrated/underrated?
As a noob here but long time lurker and lover of sw aquaria, my picks for underrated are; basslets, hogfish and hawkfish. I don't yet have an overrated fish.

We'll i called them overrated for a few reasons, one - the whole "nemo" thing, some people even refer to them as "nemo fish" in forums, which is annoying, Two - the whole paying hundreds of dollars for a mutant of a $15 fish is eye-roll inducing for me personally, three - almost everyone has one, four - they're kind of butt-heads a good amount of the time... for me it all just adds up to "I just don't get the obsession" there's so many other more colorful, interesting fish out there that i would get ahead of clowns.... to use your car reference, it's like if everyone was obsessed with Chevy Malibu's.... and I'm just sitting there thinking 'why??? there are so many other cooler more interesting car's out there...' but that's just my personal opinion. if anything this thread shows that there's not really a consensus among hobbyists... one's mans overrated is another man's underrated.

Jfishwild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinon the gem tang. it is one of the ugliest fish out there and the price tag is stupid.
you can but a complete system stocked with coral and other fish for that price.

Urb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated- any designer Clownfish

Underrated IMO - Long Horn Cowfish
I love these fish. Great personalities. Beautiful coloration.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll i called them overrated for a few reasons, one - the whole "nemo" thing, some people even refer to them as "nemo fish" in forums, which is annoying, Two - the whole paying hundreds of dollars for a mutant of a $15 fish is eye-roll inducing for me personally, three - almost everyone has one, four - they're kind of butt-heads a good amount of the time... for me it all just adds up to "I just don't get the obsession" there's so many other more colorful, interesting fish out there that i would get ahead of clowns.... to use your car reference, it's like if everyone was obsessed with Chevy Malibu's.... and I'm just sitting there thinking 'why??? there are so many other cooler more interesting car's out there...' but that's just my personal opinion. if anything this thread shows that there's not really a consensus among hobbyists... one's mans overrated is another man's underrated.
@Dodgersfan, to be fair, you don't walk around calling the fish in the hobby by their scientific name do you? I mean, I guess that is the only true name. Also, look at all the nicknames for corals. Time too loosen up that belt and relax my friend.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great points and agreed another man's overrated will be another's underrated, that's the beauty of the hobby and our opinions as well. IMO the "Nemo" "Dory" thing is probably because most of us have kids and 2-9 year olds couldn't care less what a clownfish or Blue hippo tang are but their world may revolve around Nemo and or Dory...

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated; Nemo and Dory. More so Dory. I have clownfish, but I didn't name them Nemo and Marlin. Way too many hippo tangs put in way too small tanks. Please for the love of fish, they are clowns and hippo tangs. The movie characters were neat and all but not every one you see has to be named after them.

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: I know I'll get some heat, but yellow tangs. I'm just not a big fan.

Underrated: Chalk bass. They are so friendly and outgoing and attentive and the different hues of blue and purple are awesome. Also underrated, pink skunk clowns. Super pretty and hold their own. Also not looped into the Nemo craze lol.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only over rated clowns in my book are the to me overly priced so called designer clowns. Give me a pair of Oz percs over them any day. But you pays your money and takes your pick. I buy fish because I like them and fit in with the other fish I have not because they are rare or expensive, so I have fish for me not for anybody else. If they don't care for my choice who cares.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over-rated: any mutated fish that gets heavily bred for the aquarium trade. These are not natural and shouldnt exist in mass like they do today.

Underrated.. Bellus angel. Mine has an awesome personallity and they are just different from most fish. that or the convict tang.

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish are overrated. They are cool and all but they are jerks.

Eddie Rogers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated - Tangs

Under Rated - Cowfish, Copper Band butterfly, and designer clowns (no 2 are exactly the same)

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated coral beauty, amazing colors and all that I have had did not bother any coral, clown gobies, small but their antics in the tank are mesmerizing.
Overrated any fish that cost more than groceries.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated coral beauty, amazing colors and all that I have had did not bother any coral, clown gobies, small but their antics in the tank are mesmerizing.
Lol I think every fish I have is more than my average grocery cost, unless of course I am eating king crab legs

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I think every fish I have is more than my average grocery cost, unless of course I am eating king crab legs

I eat cheap so I can afford expensive fish. Lol

Priorities.

Back