Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over priced for sure but possibly over rated, bandit angel. 2 to 3k depending on supply and retailer. And from what I've read nearly impossible to keep alive longe than a year.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated: Talbot damsel. I picked a damsel knowing most of you are running away, lol. Really is a pretty fish and not as aggressive as your typical damsel.

Overrated: royal gramma
I have 2 talbots in my 180. They do add something to it. Semi reclusive though

Cjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that yellow tangs and clowns are super common, but they're colorful and cheap. Unfortunately my lfs usually only gets alot of the generic stuff they sell alot of, so finding off the wall random fish in their tanks is a rarity

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: damsels (especially dominos)...they are a PITA in general
Underrated: dwarf golden morray, solon fairy wrasse, and flame hawkfish

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best part about this thread is that someone loves a certain fish and others very much dislike that same fish. This is what makes the world go around. It’s not just vanilla or chocolate, or dare I say strawberry. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

If you want to see some serious opinions....I dare you to start a thread about cars :p

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dodgersfan, to be fair, you don't walk around calling the fish in the hobby by their scientific name do you? I mean, I guess that is the only true name. Also, look at all the nicknames for corals. Time too loosen up that belt and relax my friend.

guess i kicked your puppy, sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I actually didn't say anything about the "Snowflake midnight ice lightning whatever" names though, i was saying that calling clownfish "nemos" or "nemo fish" on forums is eye-roll inducing, and also paying hundreds of $ for "Snowflake midnight ice lightning whatevers" is also eye-roll inducing for me personally... but also pointed out that it was very much a to each his own thing and that one man's underrated was another man's overrated judging by the responses in this thread. sorry my opinion offended you, but i don't think any belt loosening is needed :)

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tilefish are definitely underrated, but are they fairly difficult to care for?
Pretty easy to care for. I had a purple tile in my reef tank for about 2 yrs and then he outgrew. Survived three carpet surfs but ate mysis like a pig. But be aware they eat smaller shrimp.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over rated: Any fish with huge outrageous mark ups for basically a genetic flaw or imperfection(hybrids/ designers).

under rated: all the fish in my tank :) haha. Starry blenny! Convict tang.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: sixline wrasses, big time jerks

Under rated: Halichoeres chrysus, just as good of a coral pest eater as a sixline, but much more peaceful.

I thought it was just me.. after 2 six lines in 2 different tanks, I've never disliked a wrasse as much as these. always going after my clownfish.. 100% over rated.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over rated: Hybrid clowns (all of 'em)

Under rated: Firefish

haha, I've been thinking of getting a snowflake clown (wife and son liked them). Why are hybrid clowns overrated?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated - spotcinctus clownfish. Absolute beauty’s

Overrated - dragonets - they are the most anti social fish I own. They literally act like no other fish exists and ignore them completely.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: designer clowns (I have a Wyoming white or ice or something but it’s the first designer I’ve ever bought and I will not pay more than $75 for a clownfish.

Also overrated: royal gramma, sixline wrasse, and some of you are going to stone me — ANTHIAS in general. They look like glorified goldfish to me.

Underrated: halichoeres wrasses I agree, yellow and melanarus, vroliks, red-lined, Christmas, and RADIANT are wonderful. Also underrated are orchid dottybacks, flame hawkfish (one never had one eat my shrimp), longnose hawkfish, yellow watchman goby, sand sifting gobies, bangai cardinals. Solar fairy wrasse are underrated they’re really neat fish with a rare splash of blue, and finally— male banana wrasse (although a FOWLR wrasse).

Agreed, not sure what people see in Anthias. Looks like a freshwater fish (which isn't a bad thing, it's just that I want my saltwater fish to look like saltwater fish).

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, not sure what people see in Anthias. Looks like a freshwater fish (which isn't a bad thing, it's just that I want my saltwater fish to look like saltwater fish).

They're beautimous, especially in groups! Very active fish.

30293068716_fbeb5c4761_h.jpg

As for the clowns, I'm not a fan of fostering recessive genes for profit (even worse in dogs). Turning around a charging more for it seems even more ludicrous.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My personal hate for clowns is how aggressive and rude every single one I've had is. If your arm goes in the water, they will bite you. It doesn't necessarily hurt most the time but reacting super quick and cutting your arm on a piece of rock sucks. Even worse, you can topple your rock structure and crack the glass. It's just not worth it to me personally. Especially when people want to charge hundreds of dollars for a mutant.

Aesthetically, I love clown fish and their color. The orange and white is gorgeous to me. It's just not worth the constant harassment they bring to the tank

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over rated - designer clowns

under rated - purple fire fish. most people say they hide all day or just stay close to their "hole". If given a true non aggressive environment, these beautifully colored fish roam the tank all day long and are not shy at all.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
over rated - designer clowns

under rated - purple fire fish. most people say they hide all day or just stay close to their "hole". If given a true non aggressive environment, these beautifully colored fish roam the tank all day long and are not shy at all.
That is my experience as well. I have loved every fire fish I've had and mine is out all day. I just wish we could keep multiple for long periods. A mated pair of Helfrichi would be so cool to me

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back