Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bartlett’s anthias. They all turn male and fight with each other all day long. The males are pretty but replacing them gets old. Started with 12 in a 600gallon and there’s 6 left after two years.
so that's what happened !

Overrated the flame angel they just don't play nice.
Thanks off the list

bangai cardinals.
Is that were "nothing good happens fast" comes from?

over ....6-line is a pain
under...Blu dot jaw fish.. tho too much at 120

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily i agree with the Benghai Cardinal. Their shape is really cool and the way they hover over the reef is just great. Plus the Heather my wife loves them. ;)

I actually prefer the Pajama Cardinalfish over the Benghai since it has more color but similar demeanor to the Benghai.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine beta. Most underrated fish in the hobby. Beautiful. Easy to care for.
The Comet is one of the most gorgeous fish I've ever kept, but not necessarily easy to care for; mine would only hunt/eat small live fish.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer the Pajama Cardinalfish over the Benghai since it has more color but similar demeanor to the Benghai.
Isn't the Pajama somewhat shyer and less tolerant of bright light? That's what I like about the Benghai's, they are just out there with everyone.

OP
OP
S

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the Pajama somewhat shyer and less tolerant of bright light? That's what I like about the Benghai's, they are just out there with everyone.

No Pajama Cardinals are fine in bright lights. Initially they will be out in subdued lighting but will adapt to the brighter lights. Mine were fine under metal halides.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajamas are the ugliest fish...I guess that's what makes them cool.
overated: black tangs, gem tangs, hippo tang
underrated: bar gobies and scissortail gobies I have a school of about 15 and they are always at the top of the water column swimming around together. It's fun to watch them and then get a decent size.

Dlionsfan09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Comet is one of the most gorgeous fish I've ever kept, but not necessarily easy to care for; mine would only hunt/eat small live fish.

Maybe I just been lucky then. Mine eats anything you put in front of it. Peaceful and very hardy. Heard nothing but great things about them.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not mine (although it is captive bred). It occasionally dips down behind the rockwork in the back but it is always out in the tank (not hiding under some rock).

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an invert muncher though, which puts many folks off of it (it's the only thing keeping me from one).

I've had mine well over 10 years with all kinds of inverts and small fish. It never once bothered anything

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine well over 10 years with all kinds of inverts and small fish. It never once bothered anything

I wish I could get one like yours. They are somewhat like "reef safe" dwarf angels in that respect. You can either get one that is great or you will get one that will eat all your snails, crabs and shrimp.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inexpensive is not the word I would chose to describe a Helfrichi. $80-$120 a piece from most vendors. Especially when you consider that the Purple Firefish runs $25-$30 a piece from most vendors.
And the Helfrichi are less pretty than the regular purples. Is it just a rarety thing?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the Helfrichi are less pretty than the regular purples. Is it just a rarety thing?

Most would disagree with you on that one. I personally find the Helfrichi better looking as the colors are more vibrant IMHO. That said, a purple firefish can generally be had for $25-$30 from your LFS, while a Helfrichi is $80-$120 each and given the timid/hiding nature of firefish that's an awful lot of money to spend on a fish that stands a good chance of hiding most of the time.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most would disagree with you on that one. I personally find the Helfrichi better looking as the colors are more vibrant IMHO. That said, a purple firefish can generally be had for $25-$30 from your LFS, while a Helfrichi is $80-$120 each and given the timid/hiding nature of firefish that's an awful lot of money to spend on a fish that stands a good chance of hiding most of the time.
The Helfrichi purple color is amazingly beautiful. But I have a huge preference for solid color blocks to random shading.
Mature regal or emperor angelfish would be a good example.

I have a problem with loving fish that are amazing in a macro photo but difficult to see from my chair 7' from the tank. Mandarins, small striped gobies, Randall's pistol shrimp. Geometric pixie hawk.

Lol, moving the chair or the tank isn't really an option.
[emoji23]

Would enjoy seeing the poll.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: designer clowns, scopas type tangs, bandit angels, and 50% of what's on divers den

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back