Most Tested versus Least Tested Parameters of the Reef Tank

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 49 5.9%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 574 68.8%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 80 9.6%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 76 9.1%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 91 10.9%
  • Nitrite (most)

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • Ammonia (most)

Votes: 27 3.2%
  • (least) Calcium

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • (least) Alkalinity

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • (least) Magnesium

Votes: 79 9.5%
  • (least) Phosphate

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • (least) PH

Votes: 43 5.2%
  • (least) Nitrate

Votes: 15 1.8%
  • (least) Nitrite

Votes: 230 27.6%
  • (least) Ammonia

Votes: 315 37.8%

• Total voters

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think I've tested ammonia in this tank, ever. Not with a test kit, anyway. There were zoanthids on the rock I started with, and they opened after a day, so that's a solid "no ammonia in here" indicator. I've never heard of a tank having detectable ammonia and happy, open corals at the same time. If all my corals are ever closed at once for no evident reason, I'll test ammonia when I'm troubleshooting. Until then, I don't bother.

As for most, that's phosphate for me. I haven't really had many stony corals for most of this tank's history, just a few small frags, so the main worry is that my nutrients don't get too low. I've checked salinity way more than phosphate, but that's not on the list.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex classic (7-8 years old) that all I test with it is temperature (which wasn't on the list) and PH. I monitor both to ensure the health of my tank. Temp is probably the most important to me, knowing I had a heater electrocute my fish in the past.

As to chemistry tests, I would say PH is monitored by the apex. I test alk and phosphates 2-3 times a week (at most, all is stable now, so, leaning towards testing both weekly now).

I've never tested for nitrites or ammonia with this tank. I let it cycle for 8 weeks with a bag of frozen shrimp. Waited until they were all gone, then waited another 5 weeks. Placed a couple fish and waited another 2-3 weeks. All was good.

Nitrate, I probably should test to ensure I'm maintaining the balanced ratio of phosphates to nitrates with my scrubber and vodka dosing. (I hope so.)

Calcium and magnesium I only test if I have issues keeping my alk up. Which, each time I test my calcium is 525 and mg is 1540. So, I'm fine with that.

I'm dosing the same amount of calcium as alk. So, it's working out.

TangoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk everyday, twice on a good day. Cal & Mag weekly but sometimes ill go a bit without testing these two if I see Alk is in place.
Nitrate and phosphate when I see something a bit off in the tank.
pH, Temp & Salinity are monitored daily through an Apex.
Ammonia and Nitrite maybe in the beginning of a cycle but can't really say I've testing it personally.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Out of the following tests which one is the MOST tested by you?

pH - but only because its constantly monitored by my Apex. Otherwise its alkalinity.
2. Out of the following tests which one is the LEAST tested by you?
  • Calcium
  • Alkalinity
  • Magnesium
  • Phosphate
  • PH
  • Nitrate
  • Nitrite
  • Ammonia
There must be a problem with the way people are reading the question. I can't believe that ammonia can be the least tested - Who would test nitrite more than ammonia? (Just curious if there is a reason) - why someone would test nitrite at all.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dr Tim once said at a MACNA speech that in a case of biological filter failing nitrite will show up before ammonia. Also, If there is a die off of snail or a fish, so long as your bio-filter is healthy there should be no ammonia spike, only nitrate.
With all respect to Dr. Tim. If there is a die off of a 'small fish' in a big tank, this makes sense - I mean if you feed a chunk of LRS every day - you're basically feeding 'dead fish'. BUT - if a big Angel dies in a tank - I would bet there would be a huge ammonia spike.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard for me to answer as I test weekly
Ca, alk, nitrate, phosphate, sal, mg. I don’t necessarily make changes on one test out of range but it gives me an indicator of changes that might be taking place. I makeup my chemicals for my dosing pump the same way each time. An off test could be for several reasons but this way I can catch it before it becomes an issue

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back