Most trusted Coral Dip why? And how do you preform said dip?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely what I normally do but in to qt instead for awhile. Up to this point all corals would be from wwc and lA CCgc or ORA which is why I trusted the coral RX but these new frags might be a whole new beast. Lol local reefers scare me a bit but also want to support local fragging and trade.

For aquaculture vendors, coral Rx is usually enough but for places that import a ton of coral, this is where I usually run in to the big bad boys.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.
Went to look for the Bayer.
They had clones on the shelf so I did not know what to buy as there were three or four versions.

When I say clones the bottles looked identical to Bayer just did not have the bayer lable.

OP
OP
Keesers

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.
Went to look for the Bayer.
They had clones on the shelf so I did not know what to buy as there were three or four versions.

When I say clones the bottles looked identical to Bayer just did not have the bayer lable.

Good question I hope someone can chime in and help. I have no idea only I ever seen a picture of the blue bottle insecticide.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ew, I have not dipped my clean up crew before and I just added a fresh batch. Do any of these dip methods harm clean up crews?
Don’t dip snails. Inspect them and use a toothbrush to clean the shell if you have to.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question I hope someone can chime in and help. I have no idea only I ever seen a picture of the blue bottle insecticide.

Look for this ingredient list:

bayer imidacloprid.jpg

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Revive followed by Brightwell's MediCoral (10 min each) and had good success.

For me the hardest thing to kill is the eggs. Many dips will kill the adult bugs (you can see them fall off), but killing the eggs is another level.

Have heard some good things about Polyp Labs' Reef Primer. Has anyone used that with success?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coral rx and revive. Never had any problems. I've used Bayer in the past and its worked well. But it also nuked some deep water acros.. that was in 2010ish. When we first started using it and not knowing all the limitations.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Revive followed by Brightwell's MediCoral (10 min each) and had good success.

For me the hardest thing to kill is the eggs. Many dips will kill the adult bugs (you can see them fall off), but killing the eggs is another level.

Have heard some good things about Polyp Labs' Reef Primer. Has anyone used that with success?
Purchased Reef Primer but not used yet, I’ve been using UWC Expel.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bayer Advanced we all used contained a neonicotinoid called imidacloprid which has been temporarily banned in the EU and the EPA has issued guidance in the federal register pulling the registration for some products containing these neonicotinoid compounds due to the neurological issues they cause in honey bees. Bayer Advanced was not one of those listed (even though it contains imidacloprid) but It is my understanding that Bayer has changed the formulation since it no longer fits in their global portfolio and is selling through supplies of the Bayer Advanced we were using in locals that allow it, but have changed the formulation to something that is NOT reef safe. To further the confusion the product retains the same name with just a slight change to the label listing the new ingredients so please read carefully and buy the product that only lists imidacloprid and cyflutherin as the active ingredients. I looked at my local Walmart, Lowe’s and Home Depot in New York and neither the old or new formulation was on the shelves when it was abundant when I bought my last bottle about a year ago.

Back to the thread I will be switching back to melafix which I always found to be just as good as Bayer but is harsher on sensitive corals, ime. Another bonus of melafix is it’s clear so you can see what’s twitching off your corals :)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using Expel? Corals seem to like it and I haven’t found any bugs which is good. GHA became dislodged from plug that coral was sent on.

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer tons of how to's here on r2r. I use 10 ml of Bayer for around 12 oz of water for 15 minutes puffing off with a Turkey baster every couple of minutes. Then take corals out of dip into a another container of water you are acclimating with and rinse them off (with gloves this stuff shouldn't touch your skin) because you dont want any of this getting into your tank it has the capability of killing beneficial invertebrates pods and the like. Then from rinse container into actually acclimation container. Now i know this sounds like a lot of steps and it isn't an actual "coral dip" but with all that being said ive had acros be fully open in this stuff and never lose color after being dipped. And it absolutely nukes anything on the corals as far as pests its the only dip i use and im pest free. I found it when i had red bugs in the pasted and interceptor was on some kind of back order and it took care of the red bugs in the first treatment of anything infected. It wont get the eggs but i guess i caught it early enough.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bayer Advanced we all used contained a neonicotinoid called imidacloprid which has been temporarily banned in the EU and the EPA has issued guidance in the federal register pulling the registration for some products containing these neonicotinoid compounds due to the neurological issues they cause in honey bees. Bayer Advanced was not one of those listed (even though it contains imidacloprid) but It is my understanding that Bayer has changed the formulation since it no longer fits in their global portfolio and is selling through supplies of the Bayer Advanced we were using in locals that allow it, but have changed the formulation to something that is NOT reef safe. To further the confusion the product retains the same name with just a slight change to the label listing the new ingredients so please read carefully and buy the product that only lists imidacloprid and cyflutherin as the active ingredients. I looked at my local Walmart, Lowe’s and Home Depot in New York and neither the old or new formulation was on the shelves when it was abundant when I bought my last bottle about a year ago.

Back to the thread I will be switching back to melafix which I always found to be just as good as Bayer but is harsher on sensitive corals, ime. Another bonus of melafix is it’s clear so you can see what’s twitching off your corals :)

Thanks for the heads up; just bought a couple of bottles of the original Bayer.
Yes I'm going to hoard it. :)
And I see on Amazon that people are already trying to price gouge for this product. :mad:

Bayer

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer for me. Watered down skim milk looking. 5-10 minutes.

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone got photos and how they set up their QT dipping corals tank? As looking to get something when putting my corals in. Can I use the same for when I introduce a new fish (won’t be for a while yet) times and products used would be great to give me an idea

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back