Motorized Raising/Lowering of Light Fixture

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to build a way to raise and lower my light fixture electronically. I've searched and found some threads here but thought I'd start a new thread as nothing seemed to be quite what I was looking for.

I stumbled upon this youtube video and it seems to be exactly what I'd like to build:

Anyone familiar with this? Does this type of pipe/pulley system have a name so I can research it in more detail? Can I just grab a pipe and a couple of pulleys, hook it up to an electric motor/winch and try it out? What keeps the weight of the fixture from unspooling and makes it stay suspended? Unfortunately the video doesn't go into much detail.

I have a drop ceiling in my basement so I'll be able to mount the hardware in the ceiling, but I'd like only two cables to be coming out of the ceiling panels, which is why this was such an attractive idea. I'll be suspending a 60" ATI power module above a 6' tank.

Thanks in advance!

iplumbsome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing something like this but I was going to use a small 24v hoist/winch that I found online. I think it was rated for 100lbs.

I switched my idea up to keep it simple. I am just going to use some cable and a couple of pulleys and will raise it manually, but mine isn't going to be visible since I have a in wall tank with a mechanical room behind.

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will unfortunately be visible, so I'm going for simplicity and looks. The fixture itself is 60lbs, it'll have to be rated for at least that much weight.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the blind motor. If you call up a blind company they can custom make it to your length and some sort of eye on the cables that you can tie into.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blind motor! Exactly what I was thinking. I have a set of blinds from Lowe's with a wireless wall mount remote. You have me thinking....wonder if my wife will notice it missing. Lol

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking more in line with a commercial type of blind motor. Those for typical home windows I wouldn’t think have enough power to raise a big light fixture, but you never know :)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing something like this but I was going to use a small 24v hoist/winch that I found online. I think it was rated for 100lbs.

I switched my idea up to keep it simple. I am just going to use some cable and a couple of pulleys and will raise it manually, but mine isn't going to be visible since I have a in wall tank with a mechanical room behind.

Link to the winch? I’ve been looking for something that small with no luck.

Thanks!

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a worm drive gear motor to spin the shaft. The gear reduction and intenal friction is typically sufficient to hold the load in one direction.

Just direct drive the shaf with some sheaves on here or winding the cable, though a drum would be better to prevent the cable from overwrapping and binding.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would work- but it’s loud. I have the same one as a kayak lift in my garage. Wouldn’t want to use that in my living room. Thanks anyway!

How often do you plan on lifting and lowering it for noise to be an issue?

U

User1

View Badges
Blind motor! Exactly what I was thinking. I have a set of blinds from Lowe's with a wireless wall mount remote. You have me thinking....wonder if my wife will notice it missing. Lol

If she is anything like mine - she will notice!!!! All in good fun of course.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about using 80/20 extruded aluminum and screw driven actuators? It would allow you to not have anything hanging from over top of the light.

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6CF2ACAD-5CFC-4BB5-BBF9-1139AA8EAAF6.jpeg
I built a 80/20 rack for lights and attached a screw drive actuator to the ceiling. Used a couple pullys and it works perfect. Not cheap but defiantly does what I was looking for it to do. The actuator is normally used to raise TVs from a cabinet. Think I got it from
https://www.firgelliauto.com/collections/tv-lifts

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back