Mount your RODI system outside! 2 Part video on how!

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I hope you all will enjoy these video's I'm making on how to take your RODI system outside of your house. I spent months trying to figure out a good...off the shelf solution that would house the full RODI setup and I finally came up with this idea. I should have the next video up in a few days but tell me what you guys think! I get that some people in states North of Florida may need to modify this plan with a terrarium heater or something to keep the area warm but the same general concept would apply - Keep it out of the elements, and keep direct sunlight from hitting the containers so algae doesn't grow.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even out of the direct sunlight the high temperature will still heat your water and lead to problems down the road with the system.

Think of a bottle of water after being left in your car all day parked in the sun. Expansion, high temps, etc. none of which are particularly good for RO/DI systems.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even out of the direct sunlight the high temperature will still heat your water and lead to problems down the road with the system.

Think of a bottle of water after being left in your car all day parked in the sun. Expansion, high temps, etc. none of which are particularly good for RO/DI systems.
What problems are you referring to specifically? Just curious.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I hope you all will enjoy these video's I'm making on how to take your RODI system outside of your house. I spent months trying to figure out a good...off the shelf solution that would house the full RODI setup and I finally came up with this idea. I should have the next video up in a few days but tell me what you guys think! I get that some people in states North of Florida may need to modify this plan with a terrarium heater or something to keep the area warm but the same general concept would apply - Keep it out of the elements, and keep direct sunlight from hitting the containers so algae doesn't grow.

I live in Chicago this would not work cause would freeze and break open first week of winter.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problems are you referring to specifically? Just curious.
High temperatures degrade and ruin RO membranes relatively quick. Along with heat you get an increase in pressure, if your system isn't vented, that increase in pressure *COULD* (it shouldn't) lead to a failure of any of your housing leading to a blowout. In addition with the heat you also run into warping of the housings which can lead to filter bypass.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High temperatures degrade and ruin RO membranes relatively quick. Along with heat you get an increase in pressure, if your system isn't vented, that increase in pressure *COULD* (it shouldn't) lead to a failure of any of your housing leading to a blowout. In addition with the heat you also run into warping of the housings which can lead to filter bypass.
With the exception of the membrane degradation from the increase in temperature the other issues you will see over years of using the system.

The membrane could be quick or negligible it just depends on how hot the water inside the system gets.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the only reason why I ask is coming from a construction field - in many applications I've come across RODI systems being kept outside, especially in the Bahamas. Through having a proper enclosure (most are in pump houses outside), they don't engage in any real degradation which is noticeable.

For the Pressure Release - as long as the system disengages pressure release once or multiple times a day, you really won't be running into any issues so I think that's a real issue for most implementations. Especially mine which runs off of a direct solenoid setup which is recommended by even some guys at Neptune's office.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Chicago this would not work cause would freeze and break open first week of winter.
Yea - my thought was you could run a few terrarium heaters like i mentioned in the video, into the box and that'll keep the area from frosting up, 4 should do the trick (top, bottom, left and right side).

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the only reason why I ask is coming from a construction field - in many applications I've come across RODI systems being kept outside, especially in the Bahamas. Through having a proper enclosure (most are in pump houses outside), they don't engage in any real degradation which is noticeable.

For the Pressure Release - as long as the system disengages pressure release once or multiple times a day, you really won't be running into any issues so I think that's a real issue for most implementations. Especially mine which runs off of a direct solenoid setup which is recommended by even some guys at Neptune's office.
Typically out of direct sunlight will keep temps low enough, but not in every situation. Membrane quality along with housing quality plays into this as well. Factors that vary based on everyone's given location and choice of unit/filter.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea - my thought was you could run a few terrarium heaters like i mentioned in the video, into the box and that'll keep the area from frosting up, 4 should do the trick (top, bottom, left and right side).
But my question is what sense would that make to pay for the electricity instead of just mount take it inside where it’s temperature controlled already I’m lost here what’s the point of this

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up the 2x2' Rubbermaid vertical storage shed to set up my RODI unit outdoors. Just barely fits a 20 gallon brute trash can (.2 inches) and am planning to mount the RODI unit above it.

I have a friend that sells tropical plants she grows in a small outdoor plastic film greenhouse lined with bubble wrap and a small heater. I don't expect keeping an RO unit stored outside above freezing temperatures is that difficult unless you have crazy blizzards to worry about.

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my question is what sense would that make to pay for the electricity instead of just mount take it inside where it’s temperature controlled already I’m lost here what’s the point of this
Because the only other place in your house that works is your master bathroom and you don't want to tick off your wife.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. Whole station outside. :)
No issues. (But temp here not an issue)
IMG_20190418_174514.jpg
IMG_20190418_174534.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back