Mounting and trimming birdsnest- not easy eh?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using BRS super glue gel extra thick, and that is not easy to attach birdsnest mini-colonies to established pukani rock. The glue doesn't hold well, have to stand there trying to get it to minimally "set" when attaching where it won't balance by itself, etc. And by the time I manage to get something attached, it's pure jank- a big white wad of glue. Looks ridiculous. I'm not getting any better at it with practice either. Anyhow, what's a better way?

You know, I'm not even clear how that stuff is reef safe even though it hasn't hurt anything yet. When I load a glob on the end of the coral and stick it in the water, a teeny tiny oil slick appears on the water surface where it went in... ish.

Is it possible to trim birdsnest in place? Every time I've tried to cut one, the thing just shatters into quite a few pieces. Is there an affordable underwater laser weapon- a light saber- for hobbyists or what?

Thanks for any advice!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest using a small amount of epoxy.

Procedure :
Mix and ball up a small amount of epoxy
Put some super glue on the epoxy ball, then attach the birds nest to the epoxy ball.
Put some super glue on the other side of the epoxy ball, then smash the epoxy into the rock. This should hold the frag in place until the birds next crust over the epoxy.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JSK epoxy?

I have seen some sort of putty(s) that are sold, is that what you mean? Is there one you've tried and recommend?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back