Mounting Frags: What works best for you? Tips & Tricks

Do you have any coral frag mounting tricks or tips you have learned that really help you?

• Yes I have learned some tricks (please share in the thread)

Votes: 81 21.7%
  • No but I would like to learn some (check the thread)

Votes: 236 63.3%
  • I don't frag corals

Votes: 56 15.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a combination of super glue gel and JB Waterweld with the “sandwich” technique. I cut the post off the plug, apply some super glue gel, apply a ball of waterweld and then more super glue gel. Attached right to rock work and stays put. Been doing it this way for years.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Two things I've found that work well. First, I always pre soak the frags over night. When I go to glue I always pat dry the top of the plug. This allows the water to permeate the plug and allows for the glue to adhere far better.

The other big thing is a post fragging lugol's bath (where possible) for the frags and mother colony. This allows the glue to solidify before going back into the tank.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't frag that much but when I do its Gorilla superglue gel (even Waldomart has it). Works extremely well and more economical than all the aquarium industry brands. Don't like the putty and it looks horrid on frags plus IMO frags encrust faster w/o it. Only thing worse for sale than a superglued fresh frag is one done with putty.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my super glue (cyanoacrylate) from the LFS. It is about $10 for enough glue to last me a year or so. Those tiny loctite things last about 4-5 days... MUCH more expensive by volume. I also use a CA accelerator (Bob Smith insta-set) just before putting the frag onto the plug/tile/rock. This is obviously NOT something you can do while aquascaping in the tank, fragging only! Super useful. Smells kind of like candy. :0)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you do to softies? Please elaborate on that as I have a few flying around my tank and would love to stick them down.
sew them to live rock rubble needle and thread,better than the rubberband for softies

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video thumbnail in today's email is what earned my click! :)

PKsIaeeqtpYHpVG0DjEWEwYnC6ouyKj6XgAYAuZsRFtydtyBrZBfp5w_dyQ3Ff2wRjiKiIVFzY3l9G9VrKBXwRa-bOBpCeVHw5MrwpoXOPCR0a0zqRACn9_GaQWgsuoccNF4FgHwAo-C=s0-d-e1-ft

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a orange setosa mounted to the rock on a frag plug that was healthy but really a slow grower. I knocked most off one day except the encrusted base. Grabbed some glue real quick, fished out of the rock and accidently dropped it horizontally in the glue on the plug. Oh well, messed that up. But that thing took off like xenia after that.

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tiny unused beauty spay/sprits bottles from dollar store filled with tank water to keep frags wet or works as glue accelerator if I’m not ready to drop into tank yet

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The putty allows the frag to be pushed down in locations where the frag plug (or frag) doesn't sit flat against the surface. The glue holds the putty to the frag as well as the putty to the rock.
And how are you combining the putty and the glue?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue Accelerator (e.g. BRS InstaSet) is the best "trick" I've found (for SPS). But instead of using the pump spray, I put it in a syringe with a needle. (You can use an old syringe from a test kit, ideally one with a pointed, plastic nozzle).
I blot dry, add a drop of glue to both surfaces, then apply a drop of Accelerator to glue on plug and quickly press frag to it. Solid in a second! For large frags, you can also add a couple of extra drops around the base of the frag, using the pointed nozzle to "aim" the drops.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The faster you can cleanly mount your frag on its new base the better your chances of success. I find using just the right amount of thick mounting gel, not too much and not too little, to be important -- and then to apply a spray fixative in order to set the glue instantly.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm not a fan of frag plugs in the display, I keep some small rubble rock in the sump. Drill a hole in the rock (whatever the appropriate size), fill the hole with super glue, and put the frag in. The hole also helps keep the coral stable while the glue dries.

Then you can eventually glue the rock to your main rock work and it blends right in. It's also easier to pop the rock off if you find you need to move the new frag.

Many ways to skin the proverbial cat!
Exactly what I do!

temfinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apply the gel superglue to the frag plug, and set aside. Then dip the frag into the glue lifting it up and down a few times until the glue starts to set. Once glue start to set hold one in place a 5 seconds and return to water/solutions. This prevents the frags from moving/ falling off once its returned to the water. #9oh4reefer

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I have found to mount SPS on plugs is to use a drop of gel superglue, a pea sized ball of epoxy putty, and then another drop of gel superglue on top of that, then stick the stick in it. Works everytime, and there’s no mess! Try it, you’ll become a believer!

this is what I do, but probably more like half of a pea worth of epoxy depending on frag size.

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For softies, mostly the mushrooms I’ve thinned off my rocks. I do use a small plastic container (Dollar Tree has cream cheese & butter containers) cut the top off, using the bottom of the container & line it with rubble. I take a shower puff & cut a piece that will cover the top of the container plus some to go over all 4 sides & use a rubber band to secure it. After a couple of days the mushrooms have secured themselves to the rubble & the veil can be removed.
Shower puff:
48C5D91D-75A3-42CB-B892-DCAC0E5FE4AC.jpeg

Krisboats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody got any tips for mounting a fairly large (4x4inches) montipora plate to the rockwork? Tried superglue on the underside and it came free within a few days.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back