Mounting Frags: What works best for you? Tips & Tricks

Do you have any coral frag mounting tricks or tips you have learned that really help you?

• Yes I have learned some tricks (please share in the thread)

Votes: 81 21.7%
  • No but I would like to learn some (check the thread)

Votes: 236 63.3%
  • I don't frag corals

Votes: 56 15.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for more tips for mounting frags to aquascape underwater. However I got some marine 2 part epoxy from one of the big box stores, I believe made by loc-tite. It made a heck of a mess, stringy everywhere. It took awhile to set but once it did the coral frags stayed put. I did separate the coral from the plug before epoxy. The white epoxy around the coral was unsightly.

Bfoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do mostly softies. The size and shape determines how I do it. Usually If it’s something like sinularia or any branching coral I cut off a branch and sandwich between two small rocks held together with a rubber band. If it’s something like a toadstool or devils hand I cut off a small piece, push a toothpick through near the bottom and wrap a rubber band around the toothpick and a small rock to hold the frag down. Just don’t make band too tight. In both cases after a couple of weeks make sure coral is attached, remove toothpick and bands and glue the coral and rock in your reef. Gallery aquatics has a pretty good video on YouTube

Teddy Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fragging softies I typically use rubber bands around the coral and a rock - I try to make sure to have the rubber band is snug but not so tight that it is splitting the coral in two frags. I'm not a fan of fragging my frags @VSVP bet .

For most SPS I use Loctite Super Glue 'Gel Control'. The bottles are relatively inexpensive and can be used underwater if needed. I like these containers because they only release glue when the external tabs are squeezed. I've found that putting glue on the frag and wiggling/twisting it around in the glue is most effective when working underwater.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 8.48.20 PM.png

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do, is cut the frag discs plug off flush to where its just a flat ceramic disc. Then I get an 1/8th inch drill bit and drill a hole in the center of it. Then super glue in an 1/8the inch acrylic rod. Usually about 2 inches long. Sometimes if I get a shipment and the plugs to big, I’ll trim off the excess with a dremmel and diamond blade. Then drill it and glue in the rod. Or just remount it on a premade plug that’s already been pegged. It can be a pain sometimes holding a 1 inch plug with a coral already mounted on it, and drilling at the same time. You have to be really careful you don’t drill through the plug to far and drill the coral. Or your hand for that matter. Lol! All my rock work is drilled in various places with 1/8th inch holes to “PEG” the corals. Nothing is glued in. If warfare arises, just relocate. Easy peasy! I do like to rearrange things also from time to time. Of course some encrust over the plug and are more permanent.

Gildo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sandwich: gel superglue,-epoxy- gel superglue; and attack everything everywhere.
The only thing I can't do is glue some lps to the lower glass, they always come off from the glass! does anyone have any tricks?

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I have found to mount SPS on plugs is to use a drop of gel superglue, a pea sized ball of epoxy putty, and then another drop of gel superglue on top of that, then stick the stick in it. Works everytime, and there’s no mess! Try it, you’ll become a believer!

That's what I do too, using putty. Works great!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if it applies and it’s not specific to glueing frags to frag plugs but using disposable gloves anytime using coral glue has saved me a lot of frustration.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS seem to like to encrust on reef putty the best.

I first let the frags totally encrust the plug. Then, I cut the bottom from the base and form reef putty around the base. Once it is formed I use a small amount of epoxy to glue the plug to the formed putty and then, while the putty is still soft I use epoxy to glue and push the soft putty into a hole on the rock. I think this helps the coral to encrust faster. But who knows, maybe is is all in my head. These coral have only been glued for a couple of months.

See examples below...

1586530757978.png

1586531060514.png

1586530863471.png

Not ready yet... (These guys still have to encrust the plugs)

1586530689778.png

Here is the putty I use...

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue and paper towels.

The best trick I learned is drying the coral before trying to attach. Superglue works much better on 2 dry surfaces. I am going to try my instant cure trick on my next plugs I will update with results. Baking soda makes superglue instantly cure. So next frags I get will be using the trick I dont see anything bad happening just going to keep the baking soda away from the corals and rinse it all off.
Let me know if it is a bad idea?

hadams356

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not a frag plug guy, so if coral encrusted on plug take a pair of tile nippers.(ceramic tile) and snip off stem. Then I bond disk to rockwork with coral putty.

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself, I have a bare bottom tank and I try to avoid having frag racks on the side of my glass if possible. What I’ve started doing is using frags plugs upside down like below

9A995846-C06C-4C94-9F8A-9C84B527B71D.jpeg

64DC51D1-F89B-4456-B54A-09039314260E.jpeg

Eventually when they get large enough and I have a place to mount them, I just cut the large flat part off and mount the stem to my rocks. You can hardly tell it was a frag plug, below is a frag that was growing on a upside down plug then mounted to my rocks. Fits right in!
D0501A60-84DC-4E99-9D22-B8E4E459B529.jpeg

Paratrooper Lutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself, I have a bare bottom tank and I try to avoid having frag racks on the side of my glass if possible. What I’ve started doing is using frags plugs upside down like below

9A995846-C06C-4C94-9F8A-9C84B527B71D.jpeg

64DC51D1-F89B-4456-B54A-09039314260E.jpeg

Eventually when they get large enough and I have a place to mount them, I just cut the large flat part off and mount the stem to my rocks. You can hardly tell it was a frag plug, below is a frag that was growing on a upside down plug then mounted to my rocks. Fits right in!
D0501A60-84DC-4E99-9D22-B8E4E459B529.jpeg
Perfect!!!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make little flat rounds out of Marco cement on wax paper. Let dry, remove, place in jar for further use. Acros use small rounds, glue acro to round then glue round to rock. They can be easily removed if needed or encrust over a small round piece. Works nicely and cheap.

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting frags is the easy part, mounting them is where it can get tricky!

Depending on what type of coral frag you're trying to attach/mount the process can be very easy or very hard! For example acropora for the most part can be pretty easy unless it's a green slimer you're trying to attach! Soft corals can be pretty easy, unless it's a mushroom that keep flying away or a nepthia frag that won't attach and gluing doesn't do the job! Sometimes it's easier to glue your acro frag down on it's side. For that pesky shroom or leather frag a dish with some rubble covered in wedding veil might get it done!

So let's talk about it!

1. What process for mounting frags works best for you?

2. What are some tips and tricks that you have that could help others?

I came across this fragging and mounting acro frags video from @WWC that is very helpful!

@WWC What kind of epoxy do you use?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What process for mounting frags works best for you?

I use a gel glue and add a bit to the frag plug and then a bit to the frag. I think this bonds a bit better

2. What are some tips and tricks that you have that could help others?

After gluing many, many frags over the years I started doing something new (new to me). When I get the frag plugs I set up my drill with a small masonry bit. I then drill a small hole in the center of the plug to give the coral bases something to fit in. I use 3 different size bits for the different thicknesses of frags I glue to the plug. I find this to be a big help in mounting the frags.

I only use plugs on my frag rack. I keep them out of my DT as I want a more natural look.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Type of epoxy putty is the best, and why is the best?

DD Aquascape putty is the best in my opinion. Easy to mix, slightly tacky (though I still use the glue sandwich method), comes in pink color, doesn't smell at all (some putty smells terrible... Coral Wonders, ugh!) and has good working time (5-10 min). Unfortunately, it's not as readily accessible as many other types. That said, maybe don't use this kind so there's more available for me. :0) I've tried pretty much every type of putty and this is my favorite... BY A LOT.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small flat round of Marco cement, make them ahead in different sizes. Pull the one you want gel superglue the frag to it and good to go. Easily removes from Tonga branch if you need to move it, in one piece. I’ve done this before.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back