Mounting question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting an L4 but I have one concern. How would I mount it in my system? I'm fairly space constrained with my Trigger Sapphire 39 sump and a lot of "stuff" around it. I've searched all over and can't find any mounting or installation instructions.

Can you point me in the right direction @Turbo's Aquatics ?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic of your sump? In the stand, with equipment, etc. or is this a new build? If so I can just pull up a stock pic

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic of your sump? In the stand, with equipment, etc. or is this a new build? If so I can just pull up a stock pic
I don't have one convenient but I can take one later if that helps. Some of the stuff that is in there would go away with an ATS (one of the goals). Here is a stock picture.

My skimmer compartment is pretty well full with the skimmer and a reactor pump. I have a Oxydator W that takes up around 1/2 my refugium area. Ideally, I would want it on the back half of the refugium section which is where I am currently making a feeble attempt to grow chaeto.
upload_2019-6-20_7-53-55.png

U

User1

View Badges
I do not own one but wouldn't you want the L4 has close to the drain drain line or compartment that it enters? At least that is where I would install it. My guess is your skimmer is also there but at least that is where I would start. This way it direct access to the display tanks water before the skimmer gets it. At least that is my thinking...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not own one but wouldn't you want the L4 has close to the drain drain line or compartment that it enters? At least that is where I would install it. My guess is your skimmer is also there but at least that is where I would start. This way it direct access to the display tanks water before the skimmer gets it. At least that is my thinking...
I have an Ehiem pump that I believe would fit nicely right below my filter socks and the hose could run behind the skimmer. With a few 90's I can get the discharge out the opening in the bottom of that section to feed the L4. I know that will cause increased headloss but the pump should be able to handle it with no problems.

I'm concerned about finding a solid way to mount it that won't block the front half of the refugium section for when I need to pull the Oxydator.

U

User1

View Badges
I have an Ehiem pump that I believe would fit nicely right below my filter socks and the hose could run behind the skimmer. With a few 90's I can get the discharge out the opening in the bottom of that section to feed the L4. I know that will cause increased headloss but the pump should be able to handle it with no problems.

I'm concerned about finding a solid way to mount it that won't block the front half of the refugium section for when I need to pull the Oxydator.

Makes sense. So if I recall from when I was looking at them they are pretty simple to install, right? Barb, union, 90 elbow to the device itself. Drain is on the bottom somewhere. Was there a stand offered or a base that it connects to?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. So if I recall from when I was looking at them they are pretty simple to install, right? Barb, union, 90 elbow to the device itself. Drain is on the bottom somewhere. Was there a stand offered or a base that it connects to?
That is what I am wondering. I don't see any mounting information or dimensions. When I've searched, everything I have found looked to be 3d printed custom mounts.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. I hope it helps to give you some ideas to work with.
Absolutely. The 24" rails will work very well. I didn't dig into the support section. I figured that was for people who have had issues.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://support.turbosaquatics.com/portal/kb/articles/support-mounting-brackets

I found these on their site. Not sure if you saw these already if so sorry.
You beat me to it, thanks!
Absolutely. The 24" rails will work very well. I didn't dig into the support section. I figured that was for people who have had issues.
Sorry about that, my website does suck but it won't for long (of course I've been saying that for a year....I do have a plan!!)

The rails can be cut/notched so they sit on the euro. You can orient the scrubber either parallel or perpendicular to the rails.

Here are some dimensions of the L4/8 base and the drain positions:

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

U

User1

View Badges

Sorry about that, my website does suck but it won't for long (of course I've been saying that for a year....I do have a plan!!)

The rails can be cut/notched so they sit on the euro. You can orient the scrubber either parallel or perpendicular to the rails.

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

You are welcome. I was on a conference call and surfing at the same time (don't rat me out! :D ).

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG
No worries about the website. I understand that life happens!

Those dimensions will work exactly how I hoped. I really wanted a more traditional refugium but it just isn't happening with my setup. I'm tired of compensating for a poorly performing refugium with chemicals so it's time to up my game.

I'll be shooting you an email.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bud’s L2 Rev4 over my Trigger Sapphire 26 sump. It fits nicely over the refugium section. I made a mounting frame out of 3/4“ sch 80 PVC. Fits quite well! :)

3BECDA5B-CBA2-44D5-A38A-365702FEF93A.jpeg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bud’s L2 Rev4 over my Trigger Sapphire 26 sump. It fits nicely over the refugium section. I made a mounting frame out of 3/4“ sch 80 PVC. Fits quite well! :)

3BECDA5B-CBA2-44D5-A38A-365702FEF93A.jpeg
Nice clean look!

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew,
I did a pvc pipe platform with expanded pve for the base and it is stable and completely non-corrosive. I can even pull the whole setup if needed, but I haven't had to in 2 years.
I am a huge fan of the turbo scrubber. I have a high fish load and with my fuge I have moderate nutrients 0.04 phosphate and 10 nitrate with no water changes.

You may want to dose iron and iodine for the chaeto. I didn't grow at first but now it explodes.

Back