Mouth Injury on Firefish

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received a new firefish and due to my 72 gallon still cycling I had no option other than to put it in my 10 gallon tank. The 10 gallon already had a Maroon Clownfish and Royal Gramma. I know they are both aggressive fish, but nothing happened for the first week they were in there. Then the jaw on the firefish appears to have become puffy. I have since moved him into the 72 gallon which only has a pair of black and white clownfish in it. They all get along, but the firefish jaw has not become any better. It might have become a little worse, but the firefish has been like this for over 2 weeks now. He is still eating, but not nearly as much as he was before the injury because he was a pig then and would eat more than both the royal gramma and maroon combined. Hopefully the photo will come through. What would your guys suggestion be on what I should do.

https://imgur.com/97y1vXT

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as though that's a physical injury - the sort of thing that may involve broken bones and torn ligaments.

I tend to think that dartfish pick those up when they miscalculate a dash into some rocky hidey-hole, in which case the best you may be able to hope for is that the jaw heals and no bacterial infection sets in.

If @melypr1985 or @Humblefish tell you otherwise though, listen to them - I am but their lowly apprentice.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty serious injury. If he's still eating, I would start soaking vitamins in his food and hope that enables him to heal.

OP
OP
Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty serious injury. If he's still eating, I would start soaking vitamins in his food and hope that enables him to heal.

Would dosing the vitamins in the food be any problem for the clownfish in the tank? I wouldn't that it would, but figured I would still ask.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would dosing the vitamins in the food be any problem for the clownfish in the tank? I wouldn't that it would, but figured I would still ask.

No problem at all. Vitamins are good for all fish. :)

Back