Moved establish tank short distance, now what?

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll, just got started with my very first saltwater tank (yay). I purchased an established 45g JBJ and had to move everything roughly 30 minute drive. We broke it down and moved everything as quickly as possible. I've got the tank all set up with the previous sand, rock, and about 70% water (30% new from LFS). The 3 fish are in QT while everything settles.

Big question is: now what? I presume I should start doing some tests asap to ensure everything is looking good. But unsure of what to look at for, how long to plan for QT, etc.

The purchase was more sudden than originally planned, so playing catchup on the learning process.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let everything settle. I just did this myself with a 13.5 evo from a guy I work with, couldn’t pass up the deal! However I didn’t use but maybe 25% of the old water once I refilled it because of the stirring of the sandbed that was done during the move. You have to figure the old water was holding nitrates and phosphates to begin with, then you probably added even more by stirring up the sand.

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic tests: nitrates, phosphates, salinity
Coral tests: alkalinity, pH, calcium, magnesium
Thanks, no coral yet, But will test those in the morning.
Let everything settle. I just did this myself with a 13.5 evo from a guy I work with, couldn’t pass up the deal! However I didn’t use but maybe 25% of the old water once I refilled it because of the stirring of the sandbed that was done during the move. You have to figure the old water was holding nitrates and phosphates to begin with, then you probably added even more by stirring up the sand.
Gotcha, so the simple shifting of the sandbed will stir up a bunch of junk? Should I have just started with new sand? Too late now but just curious. Is there anything specific I should worry about?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, my advice is to remove all the sand (and water) and replace with new. The sand is going to have so much gunk that it will make the water pretty toxic and extend the time before you can add any livestock back.
If you can't do that, then multiple large (50% or more) water changes are in order...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic tests: nitrates, phosphates, salinity
Coral tests: alkalinity, pH, calcium, magnesium
In this case, testing for ammonia is also critical since the sand was reused without being cleaned. (And by cleaned, I mean rinsed until the water runs completely clear)

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, my advice is to remove all the sand (and water) and replace with new. The sand is going to have so much gunk that it will make the water pretty toxic and extend the time before you can add any livestock back.
If you can't do that, then multiple large (50% or more) water changes are in order...
Dang ok. Wish I read more about the sand issue. I had assumed that established sand was good kinda like live rock.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang ok. Wish I read more about the sand issue. I had assumed that established sand was good kinda like live rock.
Unfortunately, no. I made a similar mistake when I moved my 90 gallon. Well, more of, I didn't listen to the people who told me to buy new sand, lol! I didn't want to spend $$ on another 40 pounds of sand, so I decided I'd rinse the old sand... I only got about half of it rinsed before I gave up (it takes FOREVER) and just put all the sand back in the tank and added new water. Took about two weeks before I felt it was safe to transfer everything back into the 90.
Just treat it like a new, uncycled tank; get some bottled bacteria, test frequently for ammonia and nitrates, and only add critters when there's no ammonia and nitrates are reasonable.
The difference between this situation and a regular new tank cycle is that you already have plenty of waste to produce ammonia, and it's likely your nitrates will get really high. So you'll need the water changes to remove the nitrates.
Hope this helps...

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no. I made a similar mistake when I moved my 90 gallon. Well, more of, I didn't listen to the people who told me to buy new sand, lol! I didn't want to spend $$ on another 40 pounds of sand, so I decided I'd rinse the old sand... I only got about half of it rinsed before I gave up (it takes FOREVER) and just put all the sand back in the tank and added new water. Took about two weeks before I felt it was safe to transfer everything back into the 90.
Just treat it like a new, uncycled tank; get some bottled bacteria, test frequently for ammonia and nitrates, and only add critters when there's no ammonia and nitrates are reasonable.
The difference between this situation and a regular new tank cycle is that you already have plenty of waste to produce ammonia, and it's likely your nitrates will get really high. So you'll need the water changes to remove the nitrates.
Hope this helps...
Yeah extremely helpful thank you. Would have been more helpful before I made the move, but that's what I get for rushing into it without asking before hand.

Aside from cost and annoyance, would it be best to scoop up the sand? Or is the damage done to the water and rocks and just need to ride it out at this point

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah extremely helpful thank you. Would have been more helpful before I made the move, but that's what I get for rushing into it without asking before hand.

Aside from cost and annoyance, would it be best to scoop up the sand? Or is the damage done to the water and rocks and just need to ride it out at this point
There's not really any damage to the rocks, and like I said, you'll just need to do some large water changes. If you do decide to replace the sand, you want to keep the rock in water (maybe in your qt if there's room) so you can add it back to the tank once the new sand and water are in. The rock is going to allow you to have a shorter cycle if you replace the sand, since it's got the good biofilter already.
How long has the tank been set back up? What filtration are you running? And how does the water look?

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not really any damage to the rocks, and like I said, you'll just need to do some large water changes. If you do decide to replace the sand, you want to keep the rock in water (maybe in your qt if there's room) so you can add it back to the tank once the new sand and water are in. The rock is going to allow you to have a shorter cycle if you replace the sand, since it's got the good biofilter already.
How long has the tank been set back up? What filtration are you running? And how does the water look?
Yeah I was using the word damage pretty loosely. Wasn;t worried about anything long term,

Been set back up maybe 4-5 hours. Its an AIO JBJ, with left side small refugium with chaeto and AI light, skimmer in middle, and charcoal on right. Water is a little cloudy from pouring sand and water, but clearing up slowly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was using the word damage pretty loosely. Wasn;t worried about anything long term,

Been set back up maybe 4-5 hours. Its an AIO JBJ, with left side small refugium with chaeto and AI light, skimmer in middle, and charcoal on right. Water is a little cloudy from pouring sand and water, but clearing up slowly.
Since it's an aio, I'd remove 1/2 the water, and then replace it slowly by adding it to the back chambers -- it will fall into the tank through the weir and won't splash or disturb the sand. Then, turn the filter/pumps back on and test for ammo and nitrate after about an hour.

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's an aio, I'd remove 1/2 the water, and then replace it slowly by adding it to the back chambers -- it will fall into the tank through the weir and won't splash or disturb the sand. Then, turn the filter/pumps back on and test for ammo and nitrate after about an hour.
I probably did almost 50% during the move. Are you suggesting another due to the sand disturbance?

Tests are all coming back positive this morning and water is mostly clear now aside from a little due to aquaspace changes.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably did almost 50% during the move. Are you suggesting another due to the sand disturbance?

Tests are all coming back positive this morning and water is mostly clear now aside from a little due to aquaspace changes.
Yes. If it were me, I would change the water again due to the sand disturbance. What are your actual test results and what test kits are you using?
My approach may be overly cautious, but am trying to provide guidance that will prevent you from losing any livestock.
Good luck :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back