Moved tank 3 hours away and now Euphyllia won’t open

coastalnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my tank from college back home. My corals have been perfectly fine. Now they won’t open. Can anyone help my and tell me why they won’t open? I’ll attach a pic. The water is cloudy because I just dosed calcium to make up for the low calcium.
Calcium:340 ppm
Nitrate: between 0-5ppm
Phosphate: between 0-.25ppm
KH: 143.2ppm

283C467A-558B-40A3-8A78-2B533ECA3F0E.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing calcium should not cause that, the tank needs a 100% water change and rinsed sand (redo your move) if you want it done right. the light dropped as mentioned agreed.

to find examples of the full tank cleaning, search out the official sand rinse thread its fifty pages/can't miss.

most ignore the offer and state "that will harm bacteria" in which case the tank proceeds onward. we like the clean and fixed mode though, and you can have that at any moment you will it so. only takes searching out the thread, running what they ran in every single link.

OP
OP
coastalnanoreef

coastalnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I probably should have mentioned I moved the tank home and then transferred everything to a new tank. I don’t know why I left that out in the post. The new tank had been cycled for a month before I moved it home. So the sand is new ish. The new tank also has had 3 corals that have been doing amazing.

dosing calcium should not cause that, the tank needs a 100% water change and rinsed sand (redo your move) if you want it done right. the light dropped as mentioned agreed.

to find examples of the full tank cleaning, search out the official sand rinse thread its fifty pages/can't miss.

most ignore the offer and state "that will harm bacteria" in which case the tank proceeds onward. we like the clean and fixed mode though, and you can have that at any moment you will it so. only takes searching out the thread, running what they ran in every single link.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see if its settled enough to skip a rinse. this test wouldn't be appro for an old reef but on a new one its ok

put a stick in a corner and stir real good in a tiny spot see if a cloud comes up. it w be silt if so, not the dangerous type of cloud but lets see if that's the case.

if its not cloudy then run carbon filter or something to clear out the precipitate or a big water change

but lets see if sand is inherently clean and settled so far. not a big area in case it clouds, a lil corner test

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at the snapping after pics here after redoing the cleaning, bottom to top as a skip cycle run

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long since the move? the water looks cloudy so i am assuming a couple of days!?
Let them settle. keep the light dimmer than what you normally keep but proper light cycle. also, keep the flow on lower side.

OP
OP
coastalnanoreef

coastalnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand has been in the new tank for a month. I didn’t transfer any of it over. The only thing I transferred over were hammer corals, 3 fish, and one piece of live rock.
lets see if its settled enough to skip a rinse. this test wouldn't be appro for an old reef but on a new one its ok

put a stick in a corner and stir real good in a tiny spot see if a cloud comes up. it w be silt if so, not the dangerous type of cloud but lets see if that's the case.

if its not cloudy then run carbon filter or something to clear out the precipitate or a big water change

but lets see if sand is inherently clean and settled so far. not a big area in case it clouds, a lil corner test

OP
OP
coastalnanoreef

coastalnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is cloudy from me dosing calcium right before the picture. I moved everything over last night.
How long since the move? the water looks cloudy so i am assuming a couple of days!?
Let them settle. keep the light dimmer than what you normally keep but proper light cycle. also, keep the flow on lower side.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can tell in the link above once you're ready you can will the laser clean condition in about two hours.

some people like to experiment with partial ways above, less work options that's ok too. but if you run what you see above/ your tank will be that clean regardless of causatives.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is cloudy from me dosing calcium right before the picture. I moved everything over last night.
you moved everything last night and then dosed calcium? why? didn't u use freshly mixed saltwater?
whenever I like to entice a coral to open I dose small amount of reef plus by seachem(amino acids + vitamins) followed by reef roids(target feeding)

OP
OP
coastalnanoreef

coastalnanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank has been set up for a month. I just noticed calcium was low so I dosed. Not trying to make the corals open but just to raise calcium in general.
you moved everything last night and then dosed calcium? why? didn't u use freshly mixed saltwater?
whenever I like to entice a coral to open I dose small amount of reef plus by seachem(amino acids + vitamins) followed by reef roids(target feeding)

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank has been set up for a month. I just noticed calcium was low so I dosed. Not trying to make the corals open but just to raise calcium in general.
got it. what else are you testing for? how are other parameters compared to your last tank/setup?
i'd give it a couple of days before worrying.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back