Moving 150g Tank

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Everyone,

I may be ordering a 150 gallon SCA aquarium, 5'x2'x2' and stand. I am concerned about getting the tank into the house and down the stairs to the basement. My house is on an alley and set back from the main street. If the tank is delivered from a trailer onto the main street it would need to come up four stairs into the yard, then up the front or side steps into the house and down the stairs to the basement. I called a few local moving companies and they can only charge for the minimum 3-4 hours for a local move, which is almost as much as the tank itself cost. Does anyone have any tips for moving a tank this size, or any recommendations for local movers?

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having those heavy duty suction cup handles can be a big help, depending on how you need to carry it. Especially down stairs. 2 strong people should be able to handle it (about 305lbs if I remember correctly from my 150g) but may need to set it down to rest here and there. Not sure how comfortable you'd be lifting that much with a friend, but if you have 1 or 2 strong friends who could help that should be all you need. I find my friends are easily convinced to help with this sort of stuff with a case of beer and some food. Maybe some other reefers on here might be willing to help also? Normally I'd try to offer if I were close, but I've been having some shoulder issues and trying not to lift too much.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at those suction cup handles on Amazon. I am most concerned about getting around the corner and down the stairs. My house is older and has a narrow staircase to the basement and low bulkhead. It can accommodate the 24'' wide tank no problem, but fitting two people side by side on each end may end up being the challenge. I have two options to get the tank around the corner to the stairs, but I'm thinking it will still be tight to manuever. I planned on removing the basement door and the outside door so I could back the tank onto the small side deck. I thought about laying a blanket underneath and sliding it down the stairs, but that just seems too risky for me. I was able to get a 4'x1' 60 gallon down there when we first moved, but that was much lighter, shorter, and narrower.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the local reef clubs are all about - think of it as an investment becayse we all need sone help now and then. Are u an active member of your local club? Have you made freinds with other local reef people? I purchased that same 150 tank 4 years ago, 14mm thick, eurobraced SCA tank. It took four of us on a whole ( had to use 2 people through doorways), maybe we are not "strong", lol. Always better to have more people than count on just 2.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving straps and friends. Those suction cups are terrific, but professional quality ones are expensive and I don't know how much I would trust cheap ones from amazon. 2 strong guys could do it, but more than likely 4 normal guys. That being said I don't know where you are going to get guys during current events unless you have some close family.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point about the suction cups. Probably don't want to trust a set of $30 cups from Amazon with a tank that size. Looking into the shoulder moving straps and they seem like the way to go. Capacity 800lbs and will help with maneuverability. Depending on which side of the house they can deliver the tank on, if it needs to come up the walkway the straps might be easier than the furniture dolly.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This night sound ridiculous but get some boxes and cut up and tape them to the exact dimensions of the tank and figure out how you’ll get it down the stairs before you do the real tank

Not ridiculous at all, really good idea. I actually used a piece of pegboard and sheet of eggcrate to replicate the length and width and did just that last night. It will be tight negotiating the corner in the kitchen, and found out I will need to remove the screen door off the kitchen door so we can back it out onto the small landing. But it will fit. Those shoulder dolly moving straps seem like the best way to go. More maneuverability and less stress on your arms.

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ridiculous at all, really good idea. I actually used a piece of pegboard and sheet of eggcrate to replicate the length and width and did just that last night. It will be tight negotiating the corner in the kitchen, and found out I will need to remove the screen door off the kitchen door so we can back it out onto the small landing. But it will fit. Those shoulder dolly moving straps seem like the best way to go. More maneuverability and less stress on your arms.
Well I’m glad you were able to do that. Because trust me now that you know exactly how you need to do it. It’ll be 10x easier.. and smooth. And yes the moving straps will be critical because the first thing to go will be your grip. Because your hands get sweaty as you hold it. So to take that out of the equation you’ll have nothing but success

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the mock up size really helped determine the angles. Even ran through the steps that will be needed to get it in from outside. Much better to do with a light piece of pegboard and eggcrate than a 300lb tank. Will be ordering the moving straps from Lowes as soon as the tank is on order. I might pick up a suction cup set from Amazon just as extra insurance if we need it, but think I will be relying mostly on the straps.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both really good ideas. There’s actually a local glass shop a few blocks down, I’ll give them a call and ask. I saw that Sunbelt Rentals offers them but none are available locally.

Steve from SCA confirmed the tank is approximately 300 and stand 120. Good to get a reference point.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back