Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, you are incredibly stubborn about this McDonalds coffee thing. :) It is interesting that it has become a subtopic in your thread. The ambulance chasing commercials and the McDonalds coffee thing have very little in common. There are inherent risks associated with certain actvities. You choose to go in the ocean you might get bitten or stung by a wild critter. You ride an ATV you might get hurt if it flips. You cut down your own tree or tree limbs you might get hurt by the saw or the limb. You might get third degree burns from purchasing a beverage from a McDonalds just does not seem the same to me. Third degree burns should not be a risk from dining out. She did not bring a frivolous lawsuite against McDonalds because she ate their frys and got fat. She was clumsy and dropped the coffee? No, it was so hot when they handed her the cup it burned her and she reflexively let go of the cup, and the boiling liquid gave her severe burns on the most vulnerable and delicate skin of her body. A normal coffee temp would have hurt, and gave her an embarrassing stain, but no worse than a sunburn. Just as we expect restaurant food to be maintained a proper temperature to be safe from food poisoning we expect food to be maintained at a proper temperature to be safe from injury. Whether it ends up in our mouth where it should or our lap; does that change the severity of the injury from a scald? If it had gone in her mouth the injuries would have been much the same. except on her face, too. Unfortunately the most effective way to get large rich corporations to listen or pay attention is to speak their language. Money. she tried to speak softly. then she had to use a big stick.
love you PaulB. lol.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For you and Paul, amphipods are free.

I am lacking an efficient harvesting technique. I have been encouraging a fast growing cousin of Ulva
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookenteromorpha.htm

Enteromorphy likes colder water and high nitrates. In addittion to large amphipods, I have three cultivated species of copepods from AlgeBarn. Apocyclops copepods are a perfect janitor and live food. In early development, they are bethnic, then lay eggs before becoming free swimming to feed corals and fish.

Come visit and we can brainstorm on it. Also, if you like figs, I have an abundance.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paul, I have a question. I know you are now retired but how did you maintain your tank all those years when you were working? I work full time and do alot of the maintenance on my home as I am like you in the way that I hate paying someone to do something that I can do better.[emoji4] I also collect nsw for my water changes and try to feed my fish as healthy and fresh food as possible. It really gets overwhelming some days and I wonder how you managed with a much larger tank all those years...

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered that in the other thread but it may be more appropriate to answer it here. :rolleyes:

Remember I rarely do water changes or test anything. My maintenance is cleaning the front glass and feeding. That's about it. I didn't have a skimmer that I remember in the early days and if I did it was a small DIY one that didn't require maintenance. Even today with my 125 gallon tank I do almost nothing but feed. What else is there to do?
Of course I may have to pick up a coral that fell but I can't think of anything else to do. When I have my algae scrubber I need to clean it once a month or so. That takes about 10 minutes. I still don't have my UG filter running so no Ozone. I don't clean my powerheads for a very long time and most of them are not Korelas which you need to clean constantly because of the grill that is exposed to light so they grow algae.

Yesterday I fed my worms some bread and yogurt for the first time since I have moved almost 5 weeks ago. That takes about 8 minutes. I know people spend all sorts of time on this, but I don't know what they are doing.
You throw fish in, they eat, grow and poop, then 15 or so years later croak of old age and I buy another one.

Now I have no time at all. I am building my garage and workshop along with the light fixtures, shelves, painting, my workbench and all sorts of things besides helping my wife and cleaning the house. Sometimes my fish don't get to eat. They get over it as I did in Viet Nam when I sometimes didn't have time to eat. Fish are not delicate creatures and don't need coddling. :D

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B

You might be a “Laissez Faire” reefkeeper.

You are living at the premier fishing spot for the East Coast and according to family members that fished the Inlet and the Point their whole lives, the best in the World. Once you get moving stuff somewhat caught up, I know you will go scouting for critter collection spots. While you are checking those spots out, I want to see some clam collection spots. If people are not aware of your Italian heritage, please show a banquet picture with your clam languina recipe.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered that in the other thread but it may be more appropriate to answer it here. :rolleyes:

Remember I rarely do water changes or test anything. My maintenance is cleaning the front glass and feeding. That's about it. I didn't have a skimmer that I remember in the early days and if I did it was a small DIY one that didn't require maintenance. Even today with my 125 gallon tank I do almost nothing but feed. What else is there to do?
Of course I may have to pick up a coral that fell but I can't think of anything else to do. When I have my algae scrubber I need to clean it once a month or so. That takes about 10 minutes. I still don't have my UG filter running so no Ozone. I don't clean my powerheads for a very long time and most of them are not Korelas which you need to clean constantly because of the grill that is exposed to light so they grow algae.

Yesterday I fed my worms some bread and yogurt for the first time since I have moved almost 5 weeks ago. That takes about 8 minutes. I know people spend all sorts of time on this, but I don't know what they are doing.
You throw fish in, they eat, grow and poop, then 15 or so years later croak of old age and I buy another one.

Now I have no time at all. I am building my garage and workshop along with the light fixtures, shelves, painting, my workbench and all sorts of things besides helping my wife and cleaning the house. Sometimes my fish don't get to eat. They get over it as I did in Viet Nam when I sometimes didn't have time to eat. Fish are not delicate creatures and don't need coddling. :D

With healthy immune systems, fish are very hardy. What are your thoughts on using a 1 minute fresh water dip to eliminate visable ich from a fish received in shipment.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With healthy immune systems, fish are very hardy. What are your thoughts on using a 1 minute fresh water dip to eliminate visable ich from a fish received in shipment

I don't ever do that as I have no need or desire to eliminate ich. :D

I do have a linguini and clam recipe and we just this minute came home from having a nice dinner of linguini and clams outside, seaside at our marina. :p

This is our traditional oyster dinner. Or lunch,

This is our Traditional Thanksgiving meal of linguini and crabs. I caught the crabs.

And our traditional Easter meal of about 20 different types of seafoods. I didn't catch the King Crabs. I wish. :rolleyes:

Of course I make stuffed calamari over linguini all the time.

So in other words, if it doesn't have seafood in it, it isn't a meal to me. :rolleyes:

U

User1

View Badges
I like seafood - unfortunately around the age of 23 while stationed overseas I had steak and lobster and broke out in a pretty bad rash. Thought it might be something local you know due to the location. Got back to Japan and more lobster a month or so later and similar symptom. Head home for some vacation, took family out to dinner, yup, more lobster, but the results this time 10x worse and struggled to breath. One day you are fine eating lots of various shell fish then the next your body changes somehow and BAM - no more seafood. Shellfish mostly but my allergic reactions now warrant I carry epipen because they close my airway rather quickly.

Your cooking skills look great Paul and it looks tasty.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saf, lobster is the one seafood I don't like. I find it tasteless and boring. I think it may be because my Dad had a seafood business and all the lobsters that used to die, we had to eat. You know like Forest Gump. Boiled lobster, broiled lobster, baked lobster, barbecued lobster, lobster soup, lobster scampi, linguini and lobster. I even used to take lobster to grammar school in my lunch box. The teacher used to trade me her peanut butter and jelly sandwich for it. :rolleyes:

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saf, lobster is the one seafood I don't like. I find it tasteless and boring. I think it may be because my Dad had a seafood business and all the lobsters that used to die, we had to eat. You know like Forest Gump. Boiled lobster, broiled lobster, baked lobster, barbecued lobster, lobster soup, lobster scampi, linguini and lobster. I even used to take lobster to grammar school in my lunch box. The teacher used to trade me her peanut butter and jelly sandwich for it. :rolleyes:
I don't think it's just you In my opinion crab is way better.

U

User1

View Badges
@Paul B , @Rispa , probably correct on taste. It is just the food I ate that I remember to this day that triggered or made me aware of my allergy. Although crab seems a bit similar to me in taste to lobster or some shrimp. Then again I'm guessing it is also how it is prepared. I do not do raw though - my apologies :D And I really miss my Aunt's abalone meals. I think that is what made me upset more than anything else with the whole deal. My wife thanks me for that allergy though because I used to go free diving for it here all the time in Ca. It is very dangerous though.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don't ever do that as I have no need or desire to eliminate ich. :D

I do have a linguini and clam recipe and we just this minute came home from having a nice dinner of linguini and clams outside, seaside at our marina. :p

This is our traditional oyster dinner. Or lunch,

This is our Traditional Thanksgiving meal of linguini and crabs. I caught the crabs.

And our traditional Easter meal of about 20 different types of seafoods. I didn't catch the King Crabs. I wish. :rolleyes:

Of course I make stuffed calamari over linguini all the time.

So in other words, if it doesn't have seafood in it, it isn't a meal to me. :rolleyes:

I like my seafood as well. Nothing like banquets to celebrate family.

I can’t say for certain that I would seek out ich to streangthen fish immune system. However, I released six Tiny Hippo Tangs with obvious ich visible in shipping bag into my 20 year old 75G Jaubert Plenum with 30G mud/macro refugium. Fish had been quaranteed by Divers Den for 90 days. Ten years previous, this tank was stressed with power failure resulting in obvious ich. Prior to that incident, nothing had been added to this tank for almost two years. At the time, I was working overseas on a 28 day on 28 day off schedule. With no automation except a mechanical float valve for make up water direct from Chicot Aquifer. I left system to feed itself. While I was gone, there were only two inputs to 1500G system with 150G display. The two inputs were light and calcium reactor. Extended refugium and growout troughs totaling 1300G were in the garage with 150G display about 50’ away at 3’ higher which allowed water to gravity feed to extended refugium and growout in garage.
Fast forward 20 years and I harvest pods and seaweed.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my diatoms are pretty much gone. Must have gotten bored. I am starting to get a nice growth of algae on the back glass which I think is pretty essential so things can start growing and grazing there. Now I can start to add smaller fish that can hunt there. My mandarin seems pretty fat and I may have to introduce him to Jenny Craig even though I have not added baby brine shrimp in 5 weeks. He must be living on those white worms I throw in there every other day when I think about it.
I want to get more corals and fish as my tank seems a little sparce. I still have a lot of rock and gravel soaking in bleach but that container is covered in construction debris and saw dust so It may be a while before I get to it.

I have been building closets and putting in the floor in my work room/Man cave. I still need to sheetrock around the tank, water heater and furnace. The temperature in that room is all over the place in that room so the fish are just going to have to deal with it. I am going to put in a huge exhause fan which I ordered yesterday. This fan is so powerful it is supposed to pull out your ear wax from 20' away. :eek:

Back