Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You meant salinity 1025
Hmmm, I was under impression you dip your finger in tank and taste the water for salt ;)

Don't laugh. Years ago when the floating hydrometer was misplaced or would not stay steady, we dipped our fingers in and tasted it. You get to know what 1.054 water tasted like.... seriously

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhdoug, how are you doing? Yes the move was kind of nerve racking, but I am still building and will be for a couple of years.

Hdsoftail. Thank you.

Vettguy. Yes, she was a keeper, which is why I kept her. The fact that she kept me is the miracle. :eek:

Ramona, like Duh. :rolleyes: I have not tested the salinity since I moved and he has a refractometer so what the heck. Now I can go back to using my swing arm hydrometer which is accurate because I drew a line on it where the salinity should be. :D
Besides, salinity is not that important to me or my fish.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't laugh. Years ago when the floating hydrometer was misplaced or would not stay steady, we dipped our fingers in and tasted it. You get to know what 1.054 water tasted like.... seriously
I was just trying to keep with the humor of these 17 pages plus the 187 pages from the 40+years tank birthday... actually I check both threads every night. It makes me smile soooo :)many times; and lots to learn...;Bookworm

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich, Post 315 is the update. Those pictures were just taken. I took my own advice and did nothing to the tank until the algae disappeared. And it did. All the fish are doing the macarana and smiling. The new two bluestripe pipefish are still in there which I am surprised about because the Janss pipefish killed my last ones. He seems to have stopped chasing these but I still don't trust him.
I can't get live blackworms here real easy so I feed my live white worms which stay alive for 5 days in salt water. Maybe they hold their breath.
I found the 2 Gecko Gobies and see the cave they live in. Really beautiful fish but you never, like never see them.
I want a few more small very interesting, rare, odd fish. No angels or tangs because they are to boring and everyone has them.
I would also like more corals, especially gorgonians. If I get time I will collect some water down the block but I don't think I will change any yet, I may keep it until the winter. I am getting my knee replaced in December so I may change some water before that.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I am about 90 yards from the Atlantic and I have a permit to drive on the beach. I got a bilge pump and fifty feet of hose so I back up to the water, throw the thing in the sea and pump all the water I want into containers. It's great.
You just have to be careful not to hit any deer. It's much more rural than we are used to but if you drive 3 miles there is every store you can imagine. But the LFS is about 12 miles away and it is not to good so I drive 60 miles to my old one.

The marina is fantastic, boating is a little different, not to many restaurants on the water with docks but we will get used to it.

How is the business coming along?

Oh, and I am getting a new knee in December. I want all new parts. :D

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I am about 90 yards from the Atlantic and I have a permit to drive on the beach. I got a bilge pump and fifty feet of hose so I back up to the water, throw the thing in the sea and pump all the water I want into containers. It's great.
You just have to be careful not to hit any deer. It's much more rural than we are used to but if you drive 3 miles there is every store you can imagine. But the LFS is about 12 miles away and it is not to good so I drive 60 miles to my old one.

The marina is fantastic, boating is a little different, not to many restaurants on the water with docks but we will get used to it.

Good luck with the knee Paul i will never forget back in the 70s my grandfather got both his done. He said it was the best thing he ever did and told me if my knees hurt don't wait like he did.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what everyone tells me. I am looking forward to it. Maybe I can use my old knee to make something Steam Punk. :confused:
I need to clean my algae scrubber. In a week it grew so much algae that it is almost falling back into the tank, just like it is supposed to do. My nitrates and PO4 are zero so so much about nutrients causing algae. That's an old wives tale that I heard from an old wife.

Speaking about wife's, We are having company for breakfast today so I baked a really nice apple cake and a batch of blueberry muffins. (I like to bake) Here we can pick the apples and blueberries so they are fresh. My wife told me I can't put the muffins and the cake in the oven together.
Again, that is an old wife's tale even though my wife is not that old and still a Supermodel. :rolleyes:

Both the cake and muffins look fantastic, maybe I will give my fish some. :p
Tank is looking real good, green star polyps growing nicely, gorgonians reaching for the stars, well, overhead lights anyway. I have an anemone which seems to be happy and the fish are all doing the tango. All is well. :D

You can see the algae scrubber here with the red light on it above my tank. (I don't have a sump)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have two titanium knees. The last was done at VA about 16 months ago.

Neat about drive permit on beach. I initially read “dive permit” and I thought, I guess he can if he wants to.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you can flash your permit to the staties now! It's awesome how you just pull water straight from the sea and call it a day! lol..

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are still doing the mcarana?!

You need to teach them some new dance steps!

Try Beach Shag. [emoji4]

A few of them are doing the "mashed potatoes", but only the very old ones. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back