OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sea level has been steadily getting lower since I started taking water from it. :rolleyes:

I don't know why so many people think fake water is better than the sea. Do they think their fish are collected from some inland sea that is filled with ASW and some Jiboni comes out and doses it.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sea level has been steadily getting lower since I started taking water from it. :rolleyes:

I don't know why so many people think fake water is better than the sea. Do they think their fish are collected from some inland sea that is filled with ASW and some Jiboni comes out and doses it.

Not artificial salt water Paul! Just dehydrated then rehydrated! Just because there's not already enough to do in this hobby!:eek::confused:o_O

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul,

I love your posts! I look forward to reading through the remainder of this thread. Congratulations on the new place.

A few weeks ago I had those 3 sets of shots in my knees. It is supposed to be some kind of Jell that takes up the place where meniscus used to be when I was 20. I think he switched the needles and put in crushed coral instead. I had those series of shots twice and I can tell you, they don't work.
... The problem with new knees is they want you to go for therapy after that and I feel therapy is for Sissies who got a splinter and figured that was the worst thing that ever happened to them.

I work as an occupational therapist with lots of people who have had joint replacements. The best therapy is work in my opinion. For example, my very tough and most excellent 6’2” Cajun mechanic had severe arthritis with both knees. By the time he couldn’t stand the pain any longer, he was only 5’ 11” tall. That is a whole lot of bone and cartilage gone! He had both knees replaced at the same time and is not 6’2” again! After some inpatient rehab, his best therapy came when he returned to his mechanic work. That man can sit on the lowest chairs you can find anywhere. His knee flexion is better than lots of people who never had replacements.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CenlaReefer I posted pictures of the Fish Room/Man cave a few posts up but it is far from done. It will take me at least 2 more years to almost be done.
I wanted this knee replaced years ago but the insurance won't pay for it until you walk like you just got hit by a school bus full of overweight cheerleaders coming home from a weight watchers football game and then the driver put it in reverse and ran you over again.

Richthereefer, I live on the Sound side but my boat is in Peconic. The temp now is probably about 70 and the salinity is 25.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted this knee replaced years ago but the insurance won't pay for it until you walk like you just got hit by a school bus full of overweight cheerleaders coming home from a weight watchers football game and then the driver put it in reverse and ran you over again.

LOL! That was hilarious!

I like the man cave / fishhoom thus far.

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, much needed humor. When you were a Oldsmobile wrench did they still have the warranty stickers in the doors and panels?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an Oldsmobile mechanic in the 60s and I don't remember that. I was a Guardian Maintenance, Mark of Excellence, General Motors Serviceman.
Sounds impressive, doesn't it!

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an Oldsmobile mechanic in the 60s and I don't remember that. I was a Guardian Maintenance, Mark of Excellence, General Motors Serviceman.
Sounds impressive, doesn't it!
GM did away with many of those programs now unfortunately.
Apparently, they used to place stickers on the inside of body panels and other areas you had remove and attach with the repair order,to prove you were where you said you were. May have just been for flat-rate, don’t know.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wish i could use real seawater but i would need wo get a tanker truck to haul it, i am a 5 to 6 hour drive from the the big pond :confused:

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i could use real seawater but i would need wo get a tanker truck to haul it, i am a 5 to 6 hour drive from the the big pond :confused:

No worries about using "chemical made" saltwater. Living in south jersey (20 min from philly) I am about and hr away from the shore and it wouldn't be worth the gas money. Besides cold ocean water up here is more nutrient rich which is kinda the opposite of where corals thrive.

When I was a kid I would go with my father and grandfather crabbing in Wildwood bay to make crabs and spaghetti. One year we were catching crabs left and right. We brought them back and cleaned them while my grandmother would make marinara for the crabs. My grandmother had a rule, the marinara must sit with the crabs overnight before we could eat. This rule also applies with gravy (the south philly version not that brown type) but that's a different story. Anyway, it was a good thing because my father saw on the news that a sewage leak went into the bay. We ended up with Pizza.

My point is, you never know what your collecting.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CenlaReefer I posted pictures of the Fish Room/Man cave a few posts up but it is far from done. It will take me at least 2 more years to almost be done.

Richthereefer, I live on the Sound side but my boat is in Peconic. The temp now is probably about 70 and the salinity is 25.

Nice Space! lots of potential and its coming along great!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, you just need to move, There is no other alternative. :D

Crimsom, now your making me hungry. I caught a bunch of crabs this year and they are sitting in my freezer. (Well, some of them may be standing)
I grew up on linguini and clams and that's whats going to happen to the crabs in my freezer, pollution or not. :cool:

Rich, Thank you, it's getting there.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clams, mussels, calamad well most seafood but shellfish is my favorite. Normally we eat clams and spaghetti more than crabs during the year. Crabs were more of a summer treat.

I started to learn cooking at a young age from my grandmom. Then went on to be "classicly" trained chef. Though after culinary school I went into the computer field.

My daughter, Isabella is tough when it comes to food. She gets Italian from both her parents yet she doesn't care much for any of it. Except chicken cutlets.

I digress, I wonder if anyone had ever piped ocean water right to their reef before.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about using "chemical made" saltwater. Living in south jersey (20 min from philly) I am about and hr away from the shore and it wouldn't be worth the gas money. Besides cold ocean water up here is more nutrient rich which is kinda the opposite of where corals thrive.

When I was a kid I would go with my father and grandfather crabbing in Wildwood bay to make crabs and spaghetti. One year we were catching crabs left and right. We brought them back and cleaned them while my grandmother would make marinara for the crabs. My grandmother had a rule, the marinara must sit with the crabs overnight before we could eat. This rule also applies with gravy (the south philly version not that brown type) but that's a different story. Anyway, it was a good thing because my father saw on the news that a sewage leak went into the bay. We ended up with Pizza.

My point is, you never know what your collecting.
Oh i understand I have been using my made saltwater for a few decades i guess. Wish i could get some of that nutrient rich water, my new build the fuge strips it out. I have to dose NO3 and PO4 to keep my corals alive

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the Point Pleasant, NJ sea food fest 2 weeks ago. Love a fried soft shell crab. I would catch them more often but my schedule does not really follow a lunar calendar [emoji23].

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I still consider my wife a Supermodel and I think I did good. We were childhood sweethearts and I met her when she was 12 and I was 43. :eek: No, I mean I was 6 years older. I dated her older cousin who also happened to be beautiful. I went off to Viet Nam and she wrote me every day and I thought she was 5 years older. Everyone else knew her age but me as she looked 18 when she was 2. Now she looks 40 and she is ,,,,a little older. :rolleyes: And we still like each other after all these years. :D

Great stories. This thread will keep me busy while my broken leg heals.
Is that a Sea Ray?
If you help me with my 1st tank I’ll keep your boat running lol

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabby, unfortunately I do all my own boat work myself. No one has ever touched my boat, car, refrigerator, fish tank or anything else except my teeth and if I could stand my screaming, I would do that myself because I am not sure they know what they are doing. :eek: But thank you anyway.
Yes, that is a Sea Ray.
If you follow my methods, most people will laugh at you because they think I am senile and have no sense of what I am doing and just very lucky. :rolleyes: But if you have a question, just ask me. If I don't know it, I will just make something up. :D

So today I went to a hand doctor. I had a few hand surgeries and being that I wave to all the Pretty girls, I wore out my hands. (The girls just look at me and say, "What are you looking at, you Geezer)
But anyway, the hand doctor looked at my hands and I told her a few stories until she sent me for a X Ray. The XRay girl told me to put my hands on the machine while she went into the other room to take the picture. I am waiting and she finally takes the picture. Then I hear this big scream from her. I figured she saw something so horrible on my XRay that they were going to have to amputate my hands and replace them with pruning shears like Edward Scizzorhands. I yelled "WHATS WRONG". She says, "THERE IS A SPIDER ON THE SCREEN". "CAN YOU COME AND KILL IT?". So much for not being a Girly Girl. So O killed the spider and said to her, why don't we put it on my hand while she takes the XRay to see what the Dr. says. She didn't think that was a good idea.

So the Doctor girl, who was younger than my Daughter asked me if I wanted a cortozone shot. I said, I don't know, will that help. She said she didn't know, but it can't hurt. I thought the Doctor was supposed to tel me what I needed but maybe this is the new medicine. So she sprays my wrist with this stuff that reads "Pain Ease". Now you know that isn't going to work. So she sticks this spike into my wrist, then takes it out and sticks it into a different place and says this may hurt. Like Duh.
She says, your hand may feel cold. I said, wait a minute, I can't hear you because I am scraping the ice off of my fingers.

So I said, whats wrong with my hand. She didn't know but said come back in 5 weeks and we will give you an MRI.
So in other words I wasted my entire morning.

From there I figured I would go to the Veterans Administration which was 15 miles away. In the Home Depot here now they only give Veterans discounts if you have a service connected injury or disability which I have but I never got it on my card. But now I do so I can get my Veterans discount there. I am spending thousands there a month because of all the building I am doing so what the heck. :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back