Moving 60G SPS tank 5 hours away - Is this a good POA?

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, apologies for the long winded post. We'll be moving in a few months to the country side which is roughly 5 hours away. Been looking for a property there for a year now but as my son is starting school there in January we'll have to rent for a while until we find a house. The scape is mostly stacked so will be easy to take apart with colonies intact. I will probably use about 6 large polystyrene boxes from my LFS to pack the LR with corals attached and bubble wrap underneath to keep the pieces upright and stable. I don't plan on using the old aragonite, will get 1 new bag to keep the diamond goby with something to do. Oh, forgot the mention, the tank is an Innovative Marine SR60 AIO.

IMG_6661 2.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

This is the current plan...

• Setup basic temporary tank of similar size at new location a week or 2 prior to the move

Day of the move:
• Use half tank water and half new salt mix to cover LR and corals in polystyrene boxes and seal.

• Pack livestock (13 small fish, peppermint shrimp, harlequin shrimp, hermits, snails etc in another insulated box. Can also add a biggish bag of bio media and LR rubble to aid in filtration.
Is this necessary or is it better to split the livestock to avoid an ammonia spike? Drill small hole in lid for battery powered airpump tube.

• Load SUV with LS and hardware (lights, doser, skimmer etc). The SR60 will have to be collected at a later date.

• Drive 5 hours to new location, acclimate fish to new tanks temperature and PH. Acclimate corals to temperature. Block out wife yelling at me and hope for the best

• Setup lights, doser etc. If the temp tank is similar size I should be able to run doser (TM All for Reef and Carbo Calcium) with same settings to keep things stable.

• Apologise profusely to wife and offer to bath the kids.

What do you think?

Option B...
As I've always planned on a bigger, forever tank in the new home (when we eventually find one) the other option is to sell fish, corals and tank and keep the other bits like the Orphek icon and bars for the new tank. I've heard SPS colonies don't travel as well as frags do so I'm really worried about losing them in the move. Most of them have been grown from tiny frags so I'm quite attached to them. I could arrange with the buyer to provide frags when I'm ready again.

Thanks for taking the time to read, hope I didn't bore everyone to death

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybred: Frag and sell colony, move frags. For the corals and livestock, move them in 100% tank water- lower stress?

How do you do this; " Block out wife?" We need more information on how you accomplish this?

But seriuosly, the hybred is to move frags of what you love, sell/trade what makes moving easier. (No comment on sale or disposition of wife & kids :) )

Zodiac Virgo GIF by Hope

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybred: Frag and sell colony, move frags. For the corals and livestock, move them in 100% tank water- lower stress?

How do you do this; " Block out wife?" We need more information on how you accomplish this?

But seriuosly, the hybred is to move frags of what you love, sell/trade what makes moving easier. (No comment on sale or disposition of wife & kids :) )
Selective hearing only gets you so far, to really drown it out takes years of practice. Noise cancelling headphones also help for those high pitched squeals. A warm blanket for the couch is also a must.

Back to the tank, thanks, that makes sense. Was thinking of half new water as they will be going in new water when I get there. Maybe I need to rethink that.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back