Moving a 32g Biocube. BUT Asterina star fish and bryposis. Start over or manage. Suggestions?

Cromulent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My questions revolve around moving a 32g biocube (<1 hr) and how to handle asterina starfish and bryopsis.
I've done freshwater for 30 years, and been keeping a 13 gallon nano saltwater for almost a year. An opportunity came up to rescue a 32g Biocube (1 clown, few corals) but it has starfish and bryopsis.
I have read extensively on this site about a move and think I have that under control, but it will be my first ever move.

Should I house the fish and coral in a large pail or tote while starting cube from scratch, or move it all intact and tackle the issues once moved? Clean tank, sand, etc with a new cycle, and then eventually move fish and corals from temporary home? One large coral may be quite fixed to the rock. I could chisel it but assume I would just import a problem into a newly started tank.

Suggestions?

I appreciate your knowledge and taking the time to respond.

Crom.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The star fish are an easy fix with a harlequin shrimp but with be eaten in like a week so have a plan for him to move to a new tank. The algea could be dealt with a vinegar dip since you have everything taken apart anyway. What types of coral are these because a more sensitive species would determine ur next move.

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate on Brandon's point, harlequin shrimp are incredible at removing the tiny sea stars, but once they've eaten all of them, there is a high likely hood they'll starve to death, so unless you want to have a sea star you raise in the sump to feed to the harlequins, I'd recommend giving them back to your LFS once you're done.

OP
OP
Cromulent

Cromulent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The star fish are an easy fix with a harlequin shrimp but with be eaten in like a week so have a plan for him to move to a new tank. The algea could be dealt with a vinegar dip since you have everything taken apart anyway. What types of coral are these because a more sensitive species would determine ur next move.
Brandon, thank you. I had read about the harlequin but after a stressful, but surprisingly easy move it is all done. New sand, and very few starfish so I think I might just try to pick them out. Saw just five once tank was set up. I appreciate your help. I will post a pic once lights go on tomorrow. Thank you.

OP
OP
Cromulent

Cromulent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate on Brandon's point, harlequin shrimp are incredible at removing the tiny sea stars, but once they've eaten all of them, there is a high likely hood they'll starve to death, so unless you want to have a sea star you raise in the sump to feed to the harlequins, I'd recommend giving them back to your LFS once you're done.
Homeboy, thanks. Very few starfish, so I will try manual removal. Tank set up now, a long move but seemingly successful. Will post a pic tomorrow. Thank you, Crom.

OP
OP
Cromulent

Cromulent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is tank after adopting it. The move was smooth. Left lights off about 24 hrs for calm. Rocks just put in quickly as moving. Creature survival took priority o er visual appeal. I will adjust and work on manual removal of algae. I will work on it slowly and don't want to upset system. Salinity 1.026, Nitrate <2, Nitrite 0. Temp 76. Pic of star fish as well. Removed 8-10 star fish during set-up last night and just a few all day today. I presume I won't need a harlequin shrimp if I can stay on top of manual removal.
20201201_173459.jpg
20201201_173445.jpg

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks really good! Doesnt look like any sensitive corals just wacth for ammonia spike and your home free.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral looks healthy and the starfish are likely not bothering anything and eating algae off the glass like in the photo.

I have those starfish for like 8 years now with a wide range of coral including zoos that grow too fast. I have never seen them eat anything but algae. I would not stress over them.

The algae might just be gha.

OP
OP
Cromulent

Cromulent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard lettuce sea slugs or nudibtanchs are excellent and specialize in bryopsis treatment. I ordered a couple of them from Live aquaria. We will see how well they do!
Thanks Peter, this adopted tank didn't have quite as many starfish as the fellow suggested. I have picked them out several times per day for the last two weeks. I only saw one per day for several days now. I've also manually picked a lot of algae. I'd like to avoid chemical treatments. I hadn't heard nudibranchs ate algae, but I'm new. I will read up on that.

Parker Kufel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Peter, this adopted tank didn't have quite as many starfish as the fellow suggested. I have picked them out several times per day for the last two weeks. I only saw one per day for several days now. I've also manually picked a lot of algae. I'd like to avoid chemical treatments. I hadn't heard nudibranchs ate algae, but I'm new. I will read up on that.
main kind are the lettuce slugs and the berghia nudibranchs which eat aiptasia! They are awesome!!

Parker Kufel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My questions revolve around moving a 32g biocube (<1 hr) and how to handle asterina starfish and bryopsis.
I've done freshwater for 30 years, and been keeping a 13 gallon nano saltwater for almost a year. An opportunity came up to rescue a 32g Biocube (1 clown, few corals) but it has starfish and bryopsis.
I have read extensively on this site about a move and think I have that under control, but it will be my first ever move.

Should I house the fish and coral in a large pail or tote while starting cube from scratch, or move it all intact and tackle the issues once moved? Clean tank, sand, etc with a new cycle, and then eventually move fish and corals from temporary home? One large coral may be quite fixed to the rock. I could chisel it but assume I would just import a problem into a newly started tank.

Suggestions?

I appreciate your knowledge and taking the time to respond.

Crom.
The reef flux worked great, just dealing with some dinos now, doing another water change in a few days!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back