Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8988.JPG
IMG_8989.JPG
IMG_8990.JPG
Hi everyone! I am finally starting my new build. I currently have a 57 gal up and running for the past 2 years in Maryland. I am currently relocating to the west coast of Florida. I plan to cycle the 75 gal and then drive all the occupants of the 57 to the 75.
image.jpg
A year ago I purchased the 75 gal used with all the equipment and stand and placed it in a climate controlled storage unit. Three weekes ago, my brother and I drove to Florida with a truck full of stuff including the tank. I had the builder leave a cut out section of a wall that backs up to the laundry room to place the tank into. I have decided I wanted 3 sides to show but will have a 2" x 4" stand drywalled in after the tank is up and running. So far I have started the stand and later this week I hired someone to do the hard plumbing. I just don't trust my plumbing skills...here is what I have. I will be cleaning all the equipment tomorrow..Oh I did manage to obscond the laundry room to be the reef equipment room! All of it! I do want to mention that I have been reading a lot of the new build posts on this forum and have learned a great deal. Not to mention getting the confidence to even take on such a project! Well, except the plumbing! Thank you Bronc and Merideth and all the others!

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to be a fun build, now following

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8998.JPG
IMG_8995.JPG
Just finished the stand this evening. The opening for the tank was made a bit larger than the tank so I will have to figure out how to finish the top of the stand along the tank to blend in. I plan to drywall the sides and front of the tank.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a LFS installer come do the hard plumbing. I am still trying to see what I should put under the sump to protect the tile floor. I had a piece of vinyl but I would rather have more of a pan, similiar to what they put under washers in case of leaks. If anyone has any ideas, please comment. Also, I am still trying to see how I can fill in the extra 3" on each side of the tank without making it look piece mealed together..again, any ideas out there? Here are a few pictures..

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_9044.JPG
Last night 75+ gallons of used salt water was brought in to start cycling the water. The sump is not running yet because the pluming has not been completed. The tank has cleared quite a bit since late last night. Here are some pics.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fun times!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1679.JPG
The tank is officially up and running. The skimmer pump which came with the skimmer which is part of the CPR sump is making a lot of noise but is running. I have ordered a replacement impeller in hopes that is all it is..we will see. If not, I will have to purchase a new one. I am also tossing around the idea of getting an entire new sump and skimmer...Here is the last picture waiting for the tank to cycle..

Transporter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I see that would concern me, as of right now, is the fact the on the stand the only thing supporting the tank is a dozen or so nails. Now dont take my word as gospel or anything because I know nothing about structural engineering, but it would make me uneasy trusting my 75g to a few nails. I would put a 2x2 under each inside corner for peace of mind.

On another note, the furthest i have ever moved like that is about 2 hours (~100 miles). My nerves were shot after that drive with he fish, every little bump in the road, other drivers (almost got T-boned), etc. So I dont envy you on that part. Either way, best of luck to you on your brave, and slightly insane decision ! Definitely following this one =)

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I see that would concern me, as of right now, is the fact the on the stand the only thing supporting the tank is a dozen or so nails. Now dont take my word as gospel or anything because I know nothing about structural engineering, but it would make me uneasy trusting my 75g to a few nails. I would put a 2x2 under each inside corner for peace of mind.

On another note, the furthest i have ever moved like that is about 2 hours (~100 miles). My nerves were shot after that drive with he fish, every little bump in the road, other drivers (almost got T-boned), etc. So I dont envy you on that part. Either way, best of luck to you on your brave, and slightly insane decision ! Definitely following this one =)
Hi Transporter
Thank you for your input. I would worry as well if it were just nails. Its is difficult to see in the pictures, but the stand in jointed with kreg joints, Titebond water resistant glue and all 2 1/2" wood screws. I hope this will suffice. I knew I would need to build a rather stout stand and asked a friend who has a 120 gallons tank and he gave it his approval. Whew!

As far as the traveling...I have done a 2 hour move when I purchased the 57 gallon and that was stressful but I think I am prepared to do this 1000 mile journey. It is actually 14 hours not 1400 miles! Regardless, still a long trip! I will try to document as much as I can during my travels. Thanks for your input! Any input and/ or ideas are welcomed!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k
IMG_9135.JPG
IMG_9134.JPG
So I ordered a new impeller for the skimmer pump which is a Rio 1700. Amazon had the replacement for just under $19. I had it shipped to my frineds in Florida who are helping me with the tank while I am traveling back and forth between the old tank location in Maryland and the new set up in Florida. Unfortunately, the new impeller is not the same size. It appears that the new one has a thinner magnet and the white piece inside is also longer..guess I will either be purchasing a new motor or annew skimmer all together.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to combine the old with the new to make 1 good piece ? Just a thought in case you don't feel like paying return shipping...
Yes, I was hoping to do that when I get back down to Fl. My friends that are helping me with watching the tank as it cycles are not reefers so its difficult to ask them to do it.As it turns out, the majority of the noise coming from the sump tank is from the sicce return pump because the plumbing is too short and needs to be exteneded. Right now it is sitting on top of a plastic container which is unstable and adds to the vibration. The hardest part thus far, is being so far away and depending on others to do what I need to do..

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
Yesterday I drove to PA to purchase a water station, skimmer, and frag tank from a fellow R2R member! I got a great deal and the items are practically new! I can't wait to take them to Fl. and set up. Having this water station is going to save me a lot of money and traveling to the LFS to buy RODI! Thank you Seth!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1794.JPG
Getting ready for the big move tomorrow. I rented a small u-haul to pack some of the aquarium supplies and equipment that I will be taking with me.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9299.JPG
IMG_9299.JPG
Packed up the trailer with misc. stuff including numerous pieces of aquarium equipment. Other equipment like RODI station tanks, brute trash cans, 10 lbs used sand, bucket of salt is in the truck bed since they can get wet in case of rain. In the rear seat of the cab we have 3 plastic storage containers lined with trash bags and holding all the live rocks and attached corals. I. Two 5 gallon buckets I have the fish, delicate corals, and invertabreas. I have an inverter pluged into the lighter outlet powering an air pump with dual outlets with tubung going to each bucket with a one way valve, just in case, and an 1 1/2" diameter air stone. So far, 8 hours since everything was packed up, everything is doing well. Hope it continues.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back