Moving an anemone from a tank that has Dinos.

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this may be difficult to answer.

I want to move an anemone from my tank at home, to my office tank that i built specifically for anemones. The problem is, my tank has just begun getting dinos, and my office tank has just now gotten mature enough for my bubble tip nems.

The real question I have, is how can I move my bta (removal wont be a problem, its stuck to the glass right now) without transferring dinos to my beautiful dino free tank at my office.

My first thought is an ro/di dip.

1.Do yall think that would work?
2. Would you do it before or after acclimation drip?
3. How long would you dip it for?

if anyone has ideas, im all ears lol.

I plan on starting Dr tims dino cure right after i move this nem.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken Dinos arent something you can just transfer from one tank to another. Like other algae, they occur naturally, so any tank can become infested in them (kinda like how tanks get diatoms). If you're office tank is well established, has some other kind of algae to out-compete the dinos (GHA, coralline, etc) you'll be fine. Also make sure your nutrients are kept stable.

Can anyone else confirm?

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken Dinos arent something you can just transfer from one tank to another. Like other algae, they occur naturally, so any tank can become infested in them (kinda like how tanks get diatoms). If you're office tank is well established, has some other kind of algae to out-compete the dinos (GHA, coralline, etc) you'll be fine. Also make sure your nutrients are kept stable.

Can anyone else confirm?
Interesting, I hope this is the case.
Both tanks are stable. Not real sure why I have come down with the nightmare dinos. I have coralline algae in my tank. Only thing I can think, is that when I dosed fluco to kill off my gha and bryopsis (it was very effective) it made room for the dinos. (Tank became too clean?)

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I hope this is the case.
Both tanks are stable. Not real sure why I have come down with the nightmare dinos. I have coralline algae in my tank. Only thing I can think, is that when I dosed fluco to kill off my gha and bryopsis (it was very effective) it made room for the dinos. (Tank became too clean?)
That is definitely a possibility. For xmas this year I bought both new lights and Flucanozole (to kill bryopsis) but just by changing the lights most of the bryopsis died (lucky me :) ).

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can anyone else confirm?
Oh man! Heck yeah you can transfer dinos from one tank to another! They transfer like a plague...this is how I got them in my tank...came from my coral quarantine tank!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this may be difficult to answer.

I want to move an anemone from my tank at home, to my office tank that i built specifically for anemones. The problem is, my tank has just begun getting dinos, and my office tank has just now gotten mature enough for my bubble tip nems.

The real question I have, is how can I move my bta (removal wont be a problem, its stuck to the glass right now) without transferring dinos to my beautiful dino free tank at my office.

My first thought is an ro/di dip.

1.Do yall think that would work?
2. Would you do it before or after acclimation drip?
3. How long would you dip it for?

if anyone has ideas, im all ears lol.

I plan on starting Dr tims dino cure right after i move this nem.
Freshwater/RODI water will almost instantly destroy the cell wall of a dino, so a freshwater dip would help. But, I am no anemone expert. I have no clue if an anemone can handle a freshwater dip. I have heard that anemones "hold" water internally, so there's always a good chance it is holding the bad dinos internally as well in it's water collection.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with idoc- You need just one flagellate to star a whole new colony again. Agitate nem in fresh tank water and acclimate it as if you just purchased it to the other display tank you intend to place it in.
For your office tank- Do the following and extend up to a week and you are on your way to restock:
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can anyone else confirm?

I would think Dinos transfer just like everything else?

I dip all new corals in a bunch of stuff including at least a 3 day regiment of Rally Pro - Rally PRO (16 oz) - Ruby Reef - SaltwaterAquarium.com

It claims to kill Dino's, but I don't know for sure. I also have no idea if it is safe for nems.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to ask @OrionN what he would do with an anemone transfer in this situation. I’ve never FW dipped a nem and I’m not sure the animal will handle that all too well. What kind of anemone is it?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought dinos were in all water? Not trying to confuse or troll but I genuinely thought dinos were always in the water and only outbreak when the necessary criteria are met. I figure if you transfer a clump of dinos from one tank to another it won’t help and is likely to cause an outbreak but I thought they were already present.

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is what i ended up doing. Im not sure if it was right in any way.

I did a normal 45 minute drip acclimation, and every few minutes I would aggravate the nem by swishing the water around it.

after that I did a rather quick freshwater dip, and by rather quick I mean maybe 10 seconds if that.

I then put the Nem in a cup of new clean water from the tank it was going into and swished it around some more for 5 or ten minutes.

I then took the Nem and placed him in the tank.
All is well with the nem, it fastened its foot and has stayed where I put him from the begining. Mouth has remained tightly closed, and he has already eaten once.

the freshwater dip was short, but it did not harm the Nem. As far as Dino's, I guess we will play the waiting game and see what happens.

Attachments

• 4624CA36-4789-4EF1-A5BF-7F5F7CF50D6D.jpeg
    4624CA36-4789-4EF1-A5BF-7F5F7CF50D6D.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 2FD8AFE6-D0C8-4F4D-AD47-6473B09CAE38.jpeg
    2FD8AFE6-D0C8-4F4D-AD47-6473B09CAE38.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 980A3D9C-611C-4928-9AA5-E2D84771E0C1.jpeg
    980A3D9C-611C-4928-9AA5-E2D84771E0C1.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 74

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently trying to transfer a rock flower anemone from a tank with dinos. I wanted to see if you every noticed the dinos being transferred to your new tank?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have coral you have dinos in that tank. Zooxanthalle are symbiotic dinoflagellates. Of course the type of dinos and managing the population is important. Yes you can easily transfer them between tanks.

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed any dinos yet! I would call it a complete success!
Awesome! Thanks for the help, I'm going to try the same exact process. My biggest problem is getting the nem off the rock its on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the help, I'm going to try the same exact process. My biggest problem is getting the nem off the rock its on.
Place an ice cube on the foot of the nem. It will react and loosen its feet quickly and without harm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back