Moving coral to new tank w/o matching parameters?

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of moving all of my frags from my display to a QT tank and then to a growout tank. My question is the growout tank was set up using IO reef crystals and my alk is quite high due to that. Its around 10.8 dkh currently. My display has been kept about 7.2-7.5dkh. It's been a few weeks and the alk has dropped only slightly in the new tank. Should I continue to wait while the alk drops on its own or will i be ok transferring? Im only concerned with my SPS in this case as i think my zoas and lps will do fine with this change.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do temp acclamation and in they go. If you are too worried about it. Place them in a bucket and drip acclimated them for 1 hr.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do temp acclamation and in they go. If you are too worried about it. Place them in a bucket and drip acclimated them for 1 hr.
When you really think about it, the few seconds the coral hits the air just before it goes into the tank that temp swing alone would be pretty radical. "Kinda like getting out of a warm pool on a cold day"..
I heard those exact words from someone most all of reefers look up to.
Honestly, I have never lost a healthy specimen by just slam dunking them. After inspection and a revive dunk of course.;)

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In low tides corals are out of water in direct sunlight and Air exposed for multiple hours. There are hobbyist that actually drain their tank and expose corals to air outside water to replicate low tide in nature. hobbyists have made corals too sensitive in our minds. I did recommend OP acclimating for temperature and then drip acclimation

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back