Moving fish after quarantine

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming up on 30 days of quarantine with a clown and yellow eye Kole tang. Do I need to slowly lower the copper or can I move fish straight from QT into a sterile tank?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the copper and replace with fresh saltwater in the QT, ensuring the salinity matches the main tank. Then observe the fish for another week or two in quarantine to ensure nothing new pops up... then just move over to the main tank. You don't have to do a step down to reduce copper. It can be removed all at once. Try to do a 95-100% water change all at once to get the copper out. I do this by adding some new water into a container... moving the fish to that container... change out the water... put the fish in the new water.

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the copper and replace with fresh saltwater in the QT, ensuring the salinity matches the main tank. Then observe the fish for another week or two in quarantine to ensure nothing new pops up... then just move over to the main tank. You don't have to do a step down to reduce copper. It can be removed all at once. Try to do a 95-100% water change all at once to get the copper out. I do this by adding some new water into a container... moving the fish to that container... change out the water... put the fish in the new water.
All I had was a 15 gallon tank lying around for quarantine and the tang is going crazy. I’m going to remove the other fish and let the DT go fallow. I bought a small, but bigger that the 15 gallon, reefer170 to move the fish to temporarily. i Might let them be for another week as you suggest, but I’m really wanting to get the other fish in QT so I can start the clock

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I had was a 15 gallon tank lying around for quarantine and the tang is going crazy. I’m going to remove the other fish and let the DT go fallow. I bought a small, but bigger that the 15 gallon, reefer170 to move the fish to temporarily. i Might let them be for another week as you suggest, but I’m really wanting to get the other fish in QT so I can start the clock
The point he’s making is that you might want to observe the fish after copper QT before going into DT which you can do in the 3rd tank just the same. But with this new info you’re not going back to DT anyway. Humblefish recommends 2 weeks obs but you’re going to be way above that. Bring the copper through water changes down to 1/2 or less (<=1.0 for Copper Power) then add the next batch of fish from the DT and slowly bring it back up.

As the above post says though, no danger going from copper to no copper. It’s only adding the copper that needs to be done slowly.

As for fallow, I want to mention I found out just recently based on new research that Humblefish now endorses only 6 weeks fallow if the remaining inhabitants can tolerate >=80.6F vs. the old 76 days.

Here is the full, updated Humblefish QT procedure.

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point he’s making is that you might want to observe the fish after copper QT before going into DT which you can do in the 3rd tank just the same. But with this new info you’re not going back to DT anyway. Humblefish recommends 2 weeks obs but you’re going to be way above that. Bring the copper through water changes down to 1/2 or less (<=1.0 for Copper Power) then add the next batch of fish from the DT and slowly bring it back up.

As the above post says though, no danger going from copper to no copper. It’s only adding the copper that needs to be done slowly.

As for fallow, I want to mention I found out just recently based on new research that Humblefish now endorses only 6 weeks fallow if the remaining inhabitants can tolerate >=80.6F vs. the old 76 days.

Here is the full, updated Humblefish QT procedure.
I’ll look into that. I’m running at 78 now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back